Ducks and Hurricanes (both teams wore their home jersey's tonight)

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Teams need to do this all the time. Unless both teams have colours so similar that the game becomes difficult to follow, the default should be coloured jersey vs coloured jersey. Unless a team has some compelling historical or aesthetic reason to sport a mostly-white jersey(e.g. the Finnish national team and maybe the Maple Leafs) they should be avoided. White jerseys are beyond boring.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I thought it was a great idea but it was pointed out on the Ducks board that one of our radio announcers is color blind and couldn’t tell which team was which.

As much as I liked the black v red given the above fact I think the nhl completely dropped the ball allowing this to happen.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Teams need to do this all the time. Unless both teams have colours so similar that the game becomes difficult to follow, the default should be coloured jersey vs coloured jersey. Unless a team has some compelling historical or aesthetic reason to sport a mostly-white jersey(e.g. the Finnish national team and maybe the Maple Leafs) they should be avoided. White jerseys are beyond boring.
I like some team's white jerseys more than their dark jerseys. Its more of an issue for the visiting team to half to pack 2 sets of equipment for road games because not every color vs color.matchup is possible if the teams colored jerseys are to similar. Basically the NHL should let teams plan our more color vs. Color games if the 2 teams agree to do it like tonight. Carolina actually donned their red jerseys in all 3 games on their california road trip. Ducks were the only team to wear their home kit.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
6CAD47D0-AB4E-4D29-91E1-6FCB8B500A61.jpeg
I flipped over to the game tonight and was struck by how difficult it initially was to tell the two teams apart. After maybe 5 minutes or so my eyes had adjusted but the combination of dark jerseys and the orange in the Ducks’ jersey mixed with the red of Carolina messed with me a bit.

I am all for colour on colour games btw. But I’d prefer it in games where the colours are noticeably different (TB vs NAS or CAR vs VAN for example).

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
View attachment 162829 I flipped over to the game tonight and was struck by how difficult it initially was to tell the two teams apart. After maybe 5 minutes or so my eyes had adjusted but the combination of dark jerseys and the orange in the Ducks’ jersey mixed with the red of Carolina messed with me a bit.

I am all for colour on colour games btw. But I’d prefer it in games where the colours are noticeably different (TB vs NAS or CAR vs VAN for example).
I watched the game with my eyes crossed from being tired and still had no problem with it.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
kinda shocked no one posted about this tonight.... this is the first Color vs. Color game since the 2014 Winter Classic and only lile the 4th time done in modern nhl history.

Leafs vs. red wings Jan 1 2017

Both teams wore colours

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Yes! Great stuff, i hate that one team is always white, hope for some classic red vs blue matchups, that is the most pleasing to the eye.

This was the best possible combination IMO:

LOi53H3.jpg

I don't think it should be the norm though, there is white and dark for a reason - plus red (Carolina) and black (Anaheim) are not a great combination.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I like some team's white jerseys more than their dark jerseys. Its more of an issue for the visiting team to half to pack 2 sets of equipment for road games because not every color vs color.matchup is possible if the teams colored jerseys are to similar. Basically the NHL should let teams plan our more color vs. Color games if the 2 teams agree to do it like tonight. Carolina actually donned their red jerseys in all 3 games on their california road trip. Ducks were the only team to wear their home kit.

Why was that? and who decides?
Seems strange considering the standard white-away rule

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
View attachment 162829 I flipped over to the game tonight and was struck by how difficult it initially was to tell the two teams apart. After maybe 5 minutes or so my eyes had adjusted but the combination of dark jerseys and the orange in the Ducks’ jersey mixed with the red of Carolina messed with me a bit.

It really just doesn't work for the most part. NHL jerseys have very little variety in terms of value. NSH/EDM/PHI are the only ones with a lighter value. In b&w, ARI/STL/DAL are indistinguishable, despite all having completely different hues.

LGGVzHb.png

Reactions: Rockdan

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
It really just doesn't work for the most part. NHL jerseys have very little variety in terms of value. NSH/EDM/PHI are the only ones with a lighter value. In b&w, ARI/STL/DAL are indistinguishable, despite all having completely different hues.

LGGVzHb.png

Does your TV only transmit in black&white?

On a serious note, I love it, but I think they need to go the soccer route where they have a "main jersey" and an alternate jersey that only comes out when the colors are too close in hue.

Boston black vs Ranger blue wouldn't look too great. But a Boston yellow vs. a Ranger blue would be great.

They need to learn. Hope this will become standard once they fine tune it.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It was a little difficult to figure out who was who at times when I was watching honestly. lol

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Does your TV only transmit in black&white?

On a serious note, I love it, but I think they need to go the soccer route where they have a "main jersey" and an alternate jersey that only comes out when the colors are too close in hue.

Boston black vs Ranger blue wouldn't look too great. But a Boston yellow vs. a Ranger blue would be great.

They need to learn. Hope this will become standard once they fine tune it.
The point is it's much easier to differentiate light/dark than it is hue. This is a sport where following the play is a pain in the ass as it is. The NHL needs figuring out which team is which like it needs a hole in the head.

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad