Post-Game Talk: Ducks 4, Penguins 2 - ALMOST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Of course not. But while his stats were great on the HBK line, he still missed a lot of easy scoring chances back then. If he had any kind of one-timer at all, he might have broken records that year.

Kessel has speed, a snipe, and a good passer. Nowhere on his resume it says “one-timer”.

I guess we could have kept Neal and had an HBN line which I guarantee would not be as good.

Kessel isn’t the best player in the universe but he’s a solid offensive winger that can beat goalies clean. I don’t mind having one of those.

I bet if it was Kessel instead of ZAR going in in Gibson on the break, we’d be having a different conversation right now.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I love the usual doom and gloom here. Pens narrowly lose to a team that is now 9-1-0 in the last ten games. If you read the posts here you would think they lost 17-0 to an under-12 team or something. Yes, the second period was bad. Really bad. But we created more than enough chances to win with a bit of luck, didn't get the luck, it happens. Do I want the team to play 60 minutes games? Of course. Does the defense exasperate me a lot? Sadly, yes. But I prefer to concentrate on some encouraging signs - Geno being much better, Rust staying hot, Letang not being injured, the one who shall not be mentioned not scoring a hat-trick. ;)

The one who disappoints me the most is Brassard. Half the games you barely notice him and when you do he is not really effective. Maatta has more points than him! Yes, he missed some games but still. A player with his pedigree getting easier matchups on the third line needs to be a lot more noticeable.

We need Horny back in the worst way. It's hard to remain optimistic with this defence but you never know. We keep the game close somehow, problem is we suck at making comebacks and are very good at blowing leads. A little more mental resilience would go a long way. Maybe if Murray turns a page we will get it. I am not ready to write out the season yet.

I love it! I see people staying up until 0300 losing their minds. Always makes for a fun read!

Reactions: EightyOne

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Depends how you look at it, Perry is not that missed, he's so slow he creates scoring chances for the other team & no longer plays the pest role & no longer parks it near the net, our defense plays just as well without Fowler & as they are with him, he's fast & good defensively but he's also overly soft & doesn't bring enough offense for a guy as fast & soft as him. Rakell, Fowler & Miller are the only ones we miss right now.
Ondrej Kase has 15 points in 17 games(including 9 goals) despite starting the season late cause of a concussion he got in camp. Eaves is basicly dead in terms of him playing again it feels like.
Yeah Kase has been pretty amazing for you all. Still, our team in general just seems to fold AFTER we score and lead a game. It's been a rough year so far in that regard.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Kessel has speed, a snipe, and a good passer. Nowhere on his resume it says “one-timer”.

I guess we could have kept Neal and had an HBN line which I guarantee would not be as good.

Kessel isn’t the best player in the universe but he’s a solid offensive winger that can beat goalies clean. I don’t mind having one of those.

I bet if it was Kessel instead of ZAR going in in Gibson on the break, we’d be having a different conversation right now.

He is fast when he wants to be. His snipe is above average, but it's far from the best. His passing is meh. I don't know why people think he's a good passer.

Kessel is a right handed version of Neal without the dumb penalties. And Kessel is faster. So yes, Kessel > Neal.

I've seen Kessel get stopped on more breakaways than not. Heck, even Crosby is probably less than 50/50 on a breakaway. The fact that you're resorting to using ZAR as an example to prop up Phil, says something about Phil, no?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Judging Phil Kessel based on his two-way play is one of the dumbest things I read about on HFBoards. It's like judging a goalie on how many assists he has.

Or like judging Sprong on how many shots on net he has getting 8 minutes per game?

Too soon?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Lol this downplaying of Kessel is strange

I'm for trading anybody at any time

But wow. Saying he's no good is hilarious

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Or like judging Sprong on how many shots on net he has getting 8 minutes per game?

Too soon?
wpid-img_51810649725547.jpeg

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
His snipe is above average, but it's far from the best. His passing is meh. I don't know why people think he's a good passer.

Kessel is a right handed version of Neal without the dumb penalties.

So Kessel's a right handed version of Neal and yet his snipe is "far from the best"? James Neal, the guy who made a career of being a great sniper and pretty much nothing else? Not to mention Neal had a wicked one-timer and Kessel has one of the worst one-timers among the top scorers in the NHL. Kessel is also much faster and a much better passer. Other than that they are the same. ;)

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
He is fast when he wants to be. His snipe is above average, but it's far from the best. His passing is meh. I don't know why people think he's a good passer.

Kessel is a right handed version of Neal without the dumb penalties. And Kessel is faster. So yes, Kessel > Neal.

I've seen Kessel get stopped on more breakaways than not. Heck, even Crosby is probably less than 50/50 on a breakaway. The fact that you're resorting to using ZAR as an example to prop up Phil, says something about Phil, no?

Neal had his share of "lose your mind" penalties. BTW they both have 18 minutes on the season, so possibly equally dumb this year? Malkin has dumb penalties, does that mean Brassard should be our #2 center?

Okay fast when he wants to be vs being Maatta slow? Point is he is actually fast!
His snipe is more than above average.

The speed and snipe is over most of his game, and those are elite skills. That's valuable for a Penguins team that doesn't have someone like that.

No...the ZAR was just an example as he is on the same line. I mean ZAR couldn't have set Phil up like that so ZAR kind of proves his uselessness as he doesn't really do anything for that line. You kind of knew ZAR wasn't going to score or even make a good go at it.

Kessel isn't considered a top 10 winger for nothing.

So which players do you put in the category as Kessel?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I love it! I see people staying up until 0300 losing their minds. Always makes for a fun read!

Eh...

9-1-0 or not, that team is also missing a bunch of key players. Fowler, Rackell, Perry are a substantial group of players.

We were missing Horny, Simon, and Schultz.

Considering we still had Letang, Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel in the line-up, there is no excuse as to why we only put up 2 goals and gave up 4 straight. People keep harping on the defense being crap too...Ducks had a moron in Dotchin in the line-up and a rookie in Mahura.

9-1-0 or not, Pens were also supposedly turning a corner, so the media and the team would have you believe.

Yet, we got our asses handed to us by the Hawks - LOL
We BARELY BEAT the f***ing Kings, another bottom feeder like the Hawks - LOL
And we got jobbed by a team that is also missing key players and don't boast the kind of offense we still had on the team, also playing rookies on the blueline and in their top 6 - LOL

Sky ain't fallin'...

But pretending like this team is a few trades away, is hilarious as f***. Trades don't fix everything.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Eh...

9-1-0 or not, that team is also missing a bunch of key players. Fowler, Rackell, Perry are a substantial group of players.

We were missing Horny, Simon, and Schultz.

Considering we still had Letang, Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel in the line-up, there is no excuse as to why we only put up 2 goals and gave up 4 straight. People keep harping on the defense being crap too...Ducks had a moron in Dotchin in the line-up and a rookie in Mahura.

9-1-0 or not, Pens were also supposedly turning a corner, so the media and the team would have you believe.

Yet, we got our asses handed to us by the Hawks - LOL
We BARELY BEAT the ****ing Kings, another bottom feeder like the Hawks - LOL
And we got jobbed by a team that is also missing key players and don't boast the kind of offense we still had on the team, also playing rookies on the blueline and in their top 6 - LOL

Sky ain't fallin'...

But pretending like this team is a few trades away, is hilarious as ****. Trades don't fix everything.

Tampa just lost to Ottawa.

Also, saying we got jobbed is odd since the game was essentially one goal.

I don’t know. I’m not happy about our performance this year, but some people man.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tampa just lost to Ottawa.

Also, saying we got jobbed is odd since the game was essentially one goal.

I don’t know. I’m not happy about our performance this year, but some people man.
The league's worst scoring team tied us 3-3 and took it to OT.

That's beyond pathetic.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Lol, jeez dude.

You mock me for what I said and here you sound like an abuse victim defending the abuser.

I never mocked you for anything.

I think perspective is fine. Hornqvist and Schultz are determential injuries for us.

I’m not sure this team is a few moves away, but I didn’t feel that way in December 15-16 and I think that team was a hell of a lot worse to watch.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Judging Phil Kessel based on his two-way play is one of the dumbest things I read about on HFBoards. It's like judging a goalie on how many assists he has.

That's nonsense. Every skating player needs to be judged by their 5-on-5 play at both ends of the ice. In case you haven't noticed, how well you play defense affects your ability to like, you know, get to play offense in a given shift. Offense may be more important than defensive ability for forwards but to not weight it at all is just wrong.

Every player's strengths have to outweigh their weaknesses. In terms of total effectiveness as a player, Kessel needs to "hurdle" his inability to play defense, his terrible board play and his below-averageness at receiving passes (after all, all of these hurt the team when he is on the ice) with his speed, wrist shot and playmaking. You can argue whether it's worth it at this point.

Also the fact that he & Malkin are a collective defensive disaster, him and Brassard never worked and Crosby kinda prefers to play with others works against him. So you have to basically babysit him in the lineup with a Sheahan.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think perspective is fine. Hornqvist and Schultz are determential injuries for us.

I’m not sure this team is a few moves away, but I didn’t feel that way in December 15-16 and I think that team was a hell of a lot worse to watch.

I think you just like playing Devil's Advocate for literally any discussion.

I'm convinced if this entire thread was full of people praising the team or telling the one or two criticizing to put things into perspective, you'd then decide to talk about how bad they look.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think you just like playing Devil's Advocate for literally any discussion.

I'm convinced if this entire thread was full of people praising the team or telling the one or two criticizing to put things into perspective, you'd then decide to talk about how bad they look.

I’ve been pretty unhappy with our GMs decisions for two years.

I’m not sold on our team at all, but acting like everything is terrible is odd to me.

Small moves to the D and consistent goaltending would go a long way.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Lies, you told me "Your mother got a wooden leg with a kick stand."

Ha Ha, very funny motherf***er.

TAAAv42.gif

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Nbaro09

Dec 7, 2018
Get Riikola and Schultz in for Maatta and Oleksiak and suddenly it gets MUCH better I bet. Sadly, I'm not sure we'll get to see that. And it's gonna be tough to rely on Schultz coming off of this long of an injury.
Oleksiak played well against LA when paired w Dumo. I really think Olli is the weak link dragging him down. Matta’s Metrics lately have been like astonishingly bad

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
The overpowering Ducks attack that threw 36 shots at the Pens last night, amazingly returned to being their usual selves tonight (last in the league in shots per game) with a paltry 15 shot performance against the mighty Rangers defense core who gives up the 5th most shots per game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The overpowering Ducks attack that threw 36 shots at the Pens last night, amazingly returned to being their usual selves tonight (last in the league in shots per game) with a paltry 15 shot performance against the mighty Rangers defense core who gives up the 5th most shots per game.
But...

But.....

They were 9-1-0!

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Unfortunately NYR won and NYI are leading...we’re really going to need two points against the Caps..

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
So which players do you put in the category as Kessel?

Honestly, Neal was a good comparison for Kessel.
- Snipes: equally good
- Passing: equally average
- Speed: Phil is faster (but also lazier)
- Physicality: Neither are physical, but slight edge to Neal
- One-timer: again, neither, but Neal will at least attempt one
- Stupidity: Phil doesn't take dumb retaliation penalties (was surprised they both have 18 PIMs)
- Cost: Phil is a little more expensive (both are overpaid)
- Defense: Neither one plays a lick of defense

And yes, I know Malkin (and Letang) take the dumb retaliatory penalties too. Even Crosby has had his moments. But they are all far better hockey players than Neal (and Kessel).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->