Ducklings

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Tonight the Ducks have 6 rookies in their lineup due in large part to injuries. They aren't playing bad, but there's been some hiccups in their game and it's not great. Do you think having that many young players on a team (and some of these aren't even like your usual 23 year NHL rookies, Lundestrom is 18, Comtois is 19, Steel is 20) is a good thing for the team's longterm growth or do you think this could potentially stunt their long term development?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Sure it could. I've seen it plenty of times. Some players develop faster than others and some take more time. However watching the game tonight they've looked good and the Ducks have a good leadership core and that goes a long a long way.

Reactions: Sojourn

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Could go both ways, dont really think it makes that much difference as long as the young guys are close to NHL ready. They need Getzlaf back though for them to go anywhere this season, he is extremely important for that team.

Oct 18, 2011
The experience will pay off later in the season after they get some time in the AHL. Comtois i see staying up since he can only go to the Q

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
With all the injuries up front there's enough icetime to go around for all these youngsters, and thus their development isn't hurt. And because the team is currently winning, they are not raised in a losing environment which I also think is important.

I don't mean to take a shot at the Oilers or Coyotes, but I think this has been an issue contributing to their teams struggling to lift. Same with the Blue Jackets in the past.

Reactions: Doothpick

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Funny comment at ceremonial puck drop
Something about neither team having a captain due to injuries.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I like what I'm seeing so far. Absolutely insane that Comtois was a late second round pick.
It felt like Comtois was good value on draft day but the pick is starting to look great.

Steel and Lundestrom also look like they should have no struggles cementing themselves as top 6 forwards in the future.

And Anaheim already had Kase play way better than a 7th round draft pick should. Anaheim's drafting and development is just crazy good. Even with the core aging, I don't expect Anaheim will be picking in the lottery range much.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's a really good experience for the kids as they'll be more seasoned/prepared if and when the vets come back. They do definitely need Getzlaf. Perry...not so sure at this stage. He's obviously a valuable piece but he's obviously being outskated.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It's a really good experience for the kids as they'll be more seasoned/prepared if and when the vets come back. They do definitely need Getzlaf. Perry...not so sure at this stage. He's obviously a valuable piece but he's obviously being outskated.
Perry won’t be back this season at all most likely so they won’t have to worry about that until next year. But regardless, he’s still a decent depth player that can be moved down to the bottom 6 when Terry/Comtois pass him

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
halloween-riri-fifi-loulou.gif

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

The only players I miss that arnt playing are Kase and Getzlaf… perry/kesler/eaves/Ritchie can take the rest of the year off imo.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Tonight the Ducks have 6 rookies in their lineup due in large part to injuries. They aren't playing bad, but there's been some hiccups in their game and it's not great. Do you think having that many young players on a team (and some of these aren't even like your usual 23 year NHL rookies, Lundestrom is 18, Comtois is 19, Steel is 20) is a good thing for the team's longterm growth or do you think this could potentially stunt their long term development?
It depends on how long they will play with the big club.
If they do stay and lose a lot, it could hurt their confidence and stunt growth.
If they do stay and don't play a lot, their growth could be stunted by lack of playing time.
If they don't stay, this early experience could help them tremendously.

The most likely answer is that these couple games probably won't mean all that much for most of them in a good or bad way.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It would only be an issue if any of them weren't ready.

Some were trying to raise a stink about Lundestrom being healthy scratched but I don't even see the issue there. The Ducks have a pretty heavy schedule to start the year, I don't have any problem with Lundestrom getting his 9 games over 4 or 5 weeks rather than 3, while practicing with the team every day. Actually seems like a good way to ease in an 18 year old who will very likely be a full time guy next season.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Ducklings vs winglings seems appropriate as no one could manage to stay on their feet that entire game.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I watched the game last night, very good game. Ducks are 3-0 to start the season, be interesting to see how the rest of their season goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->