Value of: Duchene vs RNH

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
From an outside perspective, I'd be willing to part with more to get Duchane as opposed to RNH.

If I am trading for Duchane, it's with the idea that I am trading for a potential 1st line center, and at worst a 2nd line center.

With RNH, it's with the idea I am acquiring a potential high end 2nd line center, and at worst a high end 3rd line center.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Despite the fact that RNH was drafted 1st overall and is 2.5 years younger?

Okay...
Draft position has absolutely no bearing in value at this point. Duchene could be an undrafted player at this point and he would still be worth more.

Edit: reason why Duchene is worth more is explained above my post.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Was Duchene not on the World Cup team less than a year ago?

Yes he was but from team North America you have MacKinnon, Schiefele, McDavid who would be on Canadas olympic team over him. You know what I have time, let me make it even more clear why he wouldnt be on this years Olympic team.

McDavid
Crosby
Getzlaf
Stamkos
Tavares
Schiefele
Bergeron
Seguin
Toews
Marchand
Benn
Giroux

^ Those (12) guys are all ahead of him

Couture, Carter, Hall, Johansen, ROR, Monahan, Stone, Turris, Mackinnon, Perry, Skinner, Marner, Thornton, Huberdeau, even Drouin

^ These guys are competing with him for the last 2-3 spots.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Draft position has absolutely no bearing in value at this point. Duchene could be an undrafted player at this point and he would still be worth more.

Edit: reason why Duchene is worth more is explained above my post.

I'm not arguing that Duchene isn't worth more, but it seems silly to say that he has more potential and RNH is what he is particularly considering that RNH is the younger player and was looked at as one of the highest potential players on the planet not four years ago.

Factor in that Duchene threw in the towel last year attitude wise, has a flat out miserable year on the ice...and there are rumblings he might not even show up for training camp for the Avs... I think their value league wide is closer than most people think.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Does it make sense to you that a 26 year old has more potential than a 24 year old?

Yeah it makes perfect sense when the 24 year old has never had more than 56 points and the 26 year old has multiple 60+ point seasons and a 70 point in 71 game season

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Does it make sense to you that a 26 year old has more potential than a 24 year old?

Duchene simply needs to find his game from a few year ago. When he was on a playoff team. 70 points is pretty good in this era. Sid won the scoring title with 104 that year.

RNH has never even been on pace for more than 60. When he was flanked by Hall and Eberle. And recently when he was playing behind McDavid and Draisaitl.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah it makes perfect sense when the 24 year old has never had more than 56 points and the 26 year old has multiple 60+ point seasons and a 70 point in 71 game season

Not lately he doesn't. It's not so easy as 'Duchene just needs to find his game!'. What if it's gone forever?

Right this second, he and RNH are very similar hockey players. Duchene is worth more due to his history but he's losing value every day this situation drags on.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Not lately he doesn't. It's not so easy as 'Duchene just needs to find his game!'. What if it's gone forever?

Right this second, he and RNH are very similar hockey players. Duchene is worth more due to his history but he's losing value every day this situation drags on.

At least he's proven it can exist, and at 26 it's not unreasonable to think it can come back. With RNH its hopes, whispers, and dreams. Also, I doubt the offers today will be less 24 hours from now, or 24 hours after that, or less today than they were 24 hours ago, and so on. This "losing value every day" phrase is just silly. Unless I should start saying RNH is losing value by the day too because everyone knows there's a 99% chance he'll have to be traded within the next year?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

He had 30 goals last year and was one of Canada's best forwards in the World Cup.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Duchene is worth at least 2x what RNH is. Duchene has a lot more potential while RNH is forever a 2nd line center.

Potential?
1. He's older than RNH
2. He's 26 years old, turning 27 halfway through the year. He is now he is at this point, don't sell "potential" for a player his age.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
RNHs value is so low right now that it's going to be hard to get anything big for him. He is overpaid and everyone knows the Oilers will be hurting for cash very soon. Add to that he's an average at best 2C.

The Oilers will be "hurting for cash"?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He had 30 goals last year and was one of Canada's best forwards in the World Cup.

Last year is last year. A team trading for him would he hoping and praying he'd find that form again, and right now it seems like the Avalanche want teams to pay for the player he was in 13-14, not the player on the ice today.

I don't think World Cup performance has much bearing on GM's. After all Jordan Eberle is always excellent internationally.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The Oilers will be "hurting for cash"?
Drai, McDavid, RNH, and Lucic will be like... 33Mil between 4 players. That's nearly half the cap with needing more then 80% of the roster to fit in the other 40mil.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
RNH being under team control for 2 extra yrs would make him the more attractive trade target, if I am a GM giving up top assets.

This is the main reason CAR fans always shot down Hanifin or whatever for Duchene - that 2 years isn't enough term to give up a prime asset for. Not saying RNH would fetch someone like that, but GMs will be more comfortable giving up quality assets for someone they know will be there for 4 years.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Drai, McDavid, RNH, and Lucic will be like... 33Mil between 4 players. That's nearly half the cap with needing more then 80% of the roster to fit in the other 40mil.

Cap and cash are two very different things.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Last year is last year. A team trading for him would he hoping and praying he'd find that form again, and right now it seems like the Avalanche want teams to pay for the player he was in 13-14, not the player on the ice today.

I don't think World Cup performance has much bearing on GM's. After all Jordan Eberle is always excellent internationally.

GMs are praying he can repeat what he did a year ago? GMs will try and buy low, sure. But low on Duchene is a lot different than low on RNH.

Duchene vs ROR was a big thread topic in years past. You think RNH can be a good as ROR?

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
From an outside perspective, I'd be willing to part with more to get Duchane as opposed to RNH.

If I am trading for Duchane, it's with the idea that I am trading for a potential 1st line center, and at worst a 2nd line center.

With RNH, it's with the idea I am acquiring a potential high end 2nd line center, and at worst a high end 3rd line center.

Not sure how we get new spellings for his name every time a Duchene thread is started, with it being correct in the title and all.

Or how you can make such an error and also believe that your post is going to be significant to those reading it. It makes it pretty clear that you aren't really paying attention, even to the minor details, much less his actual play on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->