Value of: Duchene vs RNH

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It probably depends on how they both do this season. Sakic has been holding out to hit the lotto while Chia maybe forced to move RNH at some point so that needs to be taken into account as well.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Of these two, which (if traded) will return more value?
I see them as pretty even.

Duchene is the better player... but RNH has the 4 years of term, thus giving the new team certainty beyond MDs 2 yrs. I think that you're right, when these guys are traded, the values will be fairly similar.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Duchene has a lot more value than RNH has IMO. At their best, Duchene is a clear level above RNH and Duchene was at that level more recently than RNH was. The Oilers also are in a much tighter spot with RNH and will likely have to undersell him due to the cap, the Avs don't technically have to trade Duchene.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
RNH seems like a passive type of player to me. Not nearly as quick as Duchene. And both guys have been playing on **** teams for awhile. 13-14 Avs and last year's Oilers being the outliers.

Duchene at his best was one of Canada's impact players. Only players I saw who matched or exceeded him in the World Cup were Tavares and the Sid line. I don't think RNH has that level in him.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Duchene is worth more, but RNH has longer team control and is younger.

I think people are underrating how much RNH or overrating how much Duchene will return.
I think both will get a blue-chip prospect/ young player but Duchene will get an extra 1st Round pick.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Duchene would be in consideration for the Canadian Olympic team (and would probably make it) if NHLers were going to the South Korea Olympics.

RNH would be a consideration for the World Hockey Championship Roster and wouldn't be a shoe-in.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Duchene would be in consideration for the Canadian Olympic team (and would probably make it) if NHLers were going to the South Korea Olympics.

RNH would be a consideration for the World Hockey Championship Roster and wouldn't be a shoe-in.

Now I do think Duchene > RNH.

But do you REALLY think Duchene is one of Canadas best lets say 14 forwards. A lot has changed over the past few years. He wouldn't sniff the olympic team this time around

RNH would be a shoe-in for the world hockey championship roster to think otherwise is just flat out wrong. He also was an impact player at the World cup of hockey for team North America so theres that.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Now I do think Duchene > RNH.

But do you REALLY think Duchene is one of Canadas best lets say 14 forwards. A lot has changed over the past few years. He wouldn't sniff the olympic team this time around

RNH would be a shoe-in for the world hockey championship roster to think otherwise is just flat out wrong. He also was an impact player at the World cup of hockey for team North America so theres that.

Was Duchene not on the World Cup team less than a year ago?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Duchene is worth more, but RNH has longer team control and is younger.

I think people are underrating how much RNH or overrating how much Duchene will return.
I think both will get a blue-chip prospect/ young player but Duchene will get an extra 1st Round pick.

RNH being under team control for 2 extra yrs would make him the more attractive trade target, if I am a GM giving up top assets.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
RNHs value is so low right now that it's going to be hard to get anything big for him. He is overpaid and everyone knows the Oilers will be hurting for cash very soon. Add to that he's an average at best 2C.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I didn't realize how bad of a year Nuge just had. I knew Duchene's was abysmal but I didn't realize Nuge's was basically as terrible

Duchene is coming off a 41 point season dude.....

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
I think the impact of these players would be similar if each player was put in the same situation.

Duchene likely has more cache due to Olympics but RNH has a longer contract.

I think players have similar value and would have a similar impact.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
RNH's contract length is a non-issue considering that he is overpaid for what he is. Duchene is on a pretty good deal for a guy only a year removed from 30 goals, that's going to have a lot more value to a team going all in for the next two years.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Duchene has, is, always will be the better player.

I don't care if he's a better individual player, he quit on his team/teammates this past season. He simply isn't a team player or a leader. I wouldn't trade for either player based on what they would cost.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I don't care if he's a better individual player, he quit on his team/teammates this past season. He simply isn't a team player or a leader. I wouldn't trade for either player based on what they would cost.

Everyone quit on Colorado last season. Even landeskog, the team captain

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
RNH's contract length is a non-issue considering that he is overpaid for what he is. Duchene is on a pretty good deal for a guy only a year removed from 30 goals, that's going to have a lot more value to a team going all in for the next two years.

Here's a very statistical article comparing RNH to Draisaitl: https://oilersnerdalert.wordpress.com/2017/08/19/comparing-nuges-oranges-and-draisaitls-oranges/

You likely won't read the whole thing if any of it but long story short the situations a player is used in drastically changes their results.

If I asked you who would be more impactful on a team between Duchene and Draisaitl, you or at least most would say Draisaitl. The conclusion of the article is that RNH and Draisaitl are actually really close in on ice impact. I bet Duchene and RNH are a lot closer than you think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->