Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
12 goals in 48 games is not good production at all for prime Heatley. That’s 20 goals over 82 games, when his regular season production over that time frame was around 45 goals per 82 games. A 25 goal drop is rather large.

The thing about playoffs is teams try to take away specific threats more so than in the reg season. Sure, they took him away as the goal scorer, but he continued to produce at a point per game. His offense just shifted from goals to assists. the team used him as a decoy and continued to get the goals, just from a different person. That's the problem when people just look at goals and want to say he got shut down; well sort of, but in order to do that, the team opened up somewhere else and the effect is the same, and he was still a part of it.

Reactions: Boud

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The thing about playoffs is teams try to take away specific threats more so than in the reg season. Sure, they took him away as the goal scorer, but he continued to produce at a point per game. His offense just shifted from goals to assists. the team used him as a decoy and continued to get the goals, just from a different person. That's the problem when people just look at goals and want to say he got shut down; well sort of, but in order to do that, the team opened up somewhere else and the effect is the same, and he was still a part of it.

Meh, Alfredsson and Spezza would elevate their games in the playoffs while Heatley was, relatively, a passenger.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Meh, Alfredsson and Spezza would elevate their games in the playoffs while Heatley was, relatively, a passenger.

I wonder if opinions like this would remain if it were revealed that Heatley's desire to leave the team way back was fueled by a feud with Melnyk instead of the PR targeted statement of a "reduced role".

Reactions: Silencio

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Duchesne right now is thinking ‘I thought Colorado was a mess, being traded to Ottawa is becoming a nightmare’

I dont feel sorry for him, but I also wouldn’t sign an extension here

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I wonder if opinions like this would remain if it were revealed that Heatley's desire to leave the team way back was fueled by a feud with Melnyk instead of the PR targeted statement of a "reduced role".

It has nothing to do with Heatley leaving. Players are free to do what they want with their lives. I don't reproach them for wanting to move.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As much as we all should despise Dany Heatley, he saw the writing on the wall and bailed. He wasn't wrong.

Now to see if Karlsson can turn things around at this crossroads.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Heatley was still a dissapointment in the playoffs regardless of why he left.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Writing on the wall about what? This whole situation?

Dude wasn’t a clairvoyant.

Yeah at the time of the Heatley debacle Ottawa wasn't too far removed from their finals appearance and Melnyk was putting up the cash for big name free agents (Gonchar, Kovalev). The "Melnyk is a cheapskate" narrative was still a few years away.

Reactions: Hutz

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah at the time of the Heatley debacle Ottawa wasn't too far removed from their finals appearance and Melnyk was putting up the cash for big name free agents (Gonchar, Kovalev). The "Melnyk is a cheapskate" narrative was still a few years away.

Finance stuff, we were fine at the time, but there are stories about Melnyk that aren't flatering from back then as well. Wasn't there something about him going into the lockeroom between periods during one playoff runs and Murray having to kick him out? Melnyk has always been, to put it generously, eccentric.

But yeah, I have my doubts that Heatley left because he knew this was coming, lol

Reactions: Hutz

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Finance stuff, we were fine at the time, but there are stories about Melnyk that aren't flatering from back then as well. Wasn't there something about him going into the lockeroom between periods during one playoff runs and Murray having to kick him out? Melnyk has always been, to put it generously, eccentric.

But yeah, I have my doubts that Heatley left because he knew this was coming, lol

We should get Pusha-T to write a diss track about Heatley so we can finally get the truth about why he left.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Writing on the wall about what? This whole situation?

Dude wasn’t a clairvoyant.

He was the first of the Pizza line to bail.

They all bailed. Two requested a trade and the last, the chosen one, the face of the franchise decided he wanted to play elsewhere as a free agent.

Let's stop pretending nothing is wrong behind the scenes. Doesn't mean things are hopeless either.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Well, his final year here we were kind of aardvark shit, so maybe he sensed we weren’t going to be an elite team anymore and decided to bail.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Duchene had some decent good chemistry with Hoffman but now he’s traded. So the team is down Brassard & Hoffman while Duchene wants to be on a playoff contending team. With EK potentially going I don’t see a scenario which Duchene re-signs with the Sens.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Duchene had some decent good chemistry with Hoffman but now he’s traded. So the team is down Brassard & Hoffman while Duchene wants to be on a playoff contending team. With EK potentially going I don’t see a scenario which Duchene re-signs with the Sens.

I can definitely see him wanting to move on even though I think his first choice , given half a chance to win, would be to stay. If EK goes and Duchene wants to go, what does Stone do?

Oct 10, 2010
I can definitely see him wanting to move on even though I think his first choice , given half a chance to win, would be to stay. If EK goes and Duchene wants to go, what does Stone do?
If EK goes best to get rid of Stone and Duchene IMO while giving up#4

Tank hard and gamble for the next great prospect since Mcdavid.

If you don;t win the gamble at least you still got many assets for the trio.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If EK goes best to get rid of Stone and Duchene IMO while giving up#4

Tank hard and gamble for the next great prospect since Mcdavid.

If you don;t win the gamble at least you still got many assets for the trio.

I disagree with giving up #4 if its an all out tear down rebuild .. they will acquire picks trading all those gems. We take #4 and take a potential #1 D and start.

Oct 10, 2010
I disagree with giving up #4 if its an all out tear down rebuild .. they will acquire picks trading all those gems. We take #4 and take a potential #1 D and start.
i don't like giving up the chance of potentially handing over Hughes next season and while the odds may not be great seeing the Avalanche having the number 1 choice would be a heart breaker
The way i look at is that we make up for passing on number 4 by getting the assets from Duchene and Stone.
I am also a gambling man.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
We're not getting the number one pick over all next year, and neither are the Avs :)

I would generally agree and I think we shouldn't really base anything were doing on being competitive next year just to avoid some more laughs coming our way but that's beside the point, with Ottawa Senators luck I could surely buy that next year would be the year we win the lotto, it's just so perfect, if not for bad luck there would be none at all!

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
C'mon, Melnyk would never drive star players away from this franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad