Proposal: Duchene to NSH

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Except it isn't as simple as that. When they acquired Johansen he was in the middle of a disappointing season for multiple reasons, but he was coming off of a 26 goal/71 point season and, despite his seemingly being in a slump at the time of a deal, Poile still had to give up a kid who had been drafted 4th overall, had been projected to go 1st overall up until the draft, and looked good as an 18 year old playing defense in the NHL. That's a steep price, and it was a huge trade. You can't just say "If they make a move for yet another center, it had better be a bonafide #1 guy" when 1) Johansen was certainly considered one of those guys at the time, and 2) players who are/were "more bonafide," so to speak, don't come available all too often.

For what it's worth, I'm fine with Johansen as the top center. I do hope he picks it up offensively this coming year, but he has shown he can be a beast when it matters the most.

Johansen really wasn’t at that level at the time. Yeah, he was roughly a 70 point player when they got him; the average Stanley Cup winning center over the past 10 years is either a 70 point scorer who wins Selkes or is a 90 point scorer. And now he’s roughly a 60 point player.

You might be fine with Johansen, but the results speak for themselves (failure), and teams with centers like Johansen (or Couture) tend to always end up losing in the playoffs to teams with the guys who are a notch or two above. Let’s hope as fans of teams with those mediocre #1Cs and stacked defenses that our boys can buck that trend this year on behalf of the NHL. :)

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Johansen really wasn’t at that level at the time. Yeah, he was roughly a 70 point player when they got him; the average Stanley Cup winning center over the past 10 years is either a 70 point scorer who wins Selkes or is a 90 point scorer. And now he’s roughly a 60 point player.

You might be fine with Johansen, but the results speak for themselves (failure), and teams with centers like Johansen (or Couture) tend to always end up losing in the playoffs to teams with the guys who are a notch or two above. Let’s hope as fans of teams with those mediocre #1Cs and stacked defenses that our boys can buck that trend this year on behalf of the NHL. :)

Meh, there is no one way to win. You claim the results speak for themselves yet the Preds and VGK have been the representatives for the west the last two years. Then, they both lost in a short sample size 7 game series.

BTW, the Preds have beat the Ducks, with Getzlaf, three times in a row in the playoffs.

Preds as currently constructed can win the SC no doubt. But there is so much parity in the league anything can happen.

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
Look at what they got for Karlsson. That is a comparable return no? Shouldn't cost that much.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Meh, there is no one way to win. You claim the results speak for themselves yet the Preds and VGK have been the representatives for the west the last two years. Then, they both lost in a short sample size 7 game series.

BTW, the Preds have beat the Ducks, with Getzlaf, three times in a row in the playoffs.

Preds as currently constructed can win the SC no doubt. But there is so much parity in the league anything can happen.

The results speak for themselves in that not a single team has won a championship since 2005-2006 without an elite #1C except for the debatable exception of Anaheim in 2006-2007 who had a 78 point scoring Andy MacDonald and a Ryan Getzlaf yet to hit his prime, but they also had two first ballot HOFers on the back end.

Vegas and the Predators don’t really matter when both of them got crushed by teams with those elite #1Cs right after they made their SCF. Who cares if they represented the West? It’s a lot easier to fluke your way into the Finals than it is to win a Cup.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Johansen during the playoffs is not the problem, it's the secondary scoring with Turris which only generated 3 points. Against the high flying AVs, Johansen and Forsberg were at times dominated by the AVs speed, although, they still played well, Preds should have destroyed their 2nd and 3rd lines which struggled. A playoff round that should have been easy was a struggle.

Jets was a closer series than it should have been 4 vs 3. Not only were the Jets well rested, they dominated the 2rd and 3rd lines.

Preds hoped Turris and Bonino would diversify their scoring, but they proved inefficient. Johansen was not to blame for their playoff failure, his line kept the team competitive.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well Nashville and Ottawa can figure it out and then whichever Center is left over between RyJo, Turris, Duchene and needs a landing spot, the Canes will gladly trade for.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Turris for Faulk. :naughty:

Have to keep up with San Jose for best defense.

If one of Aho or Necas can become a 1C then I would do this. Turris is like a 55-60 point 2C. Staal is a rock and a 45-50 point 3C. It would clarify Carolina’s lines a bit more and give pretty serious depth.

The addition of Faulk to Nashville’s defense would be pretty potent. Might be overkill though.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Wait to sign Duchene in the offseason if you're the Preds. Then move him to wing and the top 9 is as deep as anyone in the league if Tolvanen develops in to a sniper.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I think we need to give Turris a chance to go through a training camp and most of ayear to see what he can do. I would try and land Stone in a trade. If turris underperforms then you go full force for Duchene in the off season or TDL and trade turris.
Fiala Duchene arvi would be sick though

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
A question for Canes fans. What is the latest on how long Rask will be out after that hand surgery?
If until the New Year it's worth trading Faulk for Turris as every 2 points earned early counts as much as those gained later in the season. If only until the end of Oct. they shouldn't mess with their depth on D for a short fix @ center as Staal, Rask & Nicas looks like 3 good centers. If Aho plays center it adds to C depth but decreases top LW.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
A question for Canes fans. What is the latest on how long Rask will be out after that hand surgery?
If until the New Year it's worth trading Faulk for Turris as every 2 points earned early counts as much as those gained later in the season. If only until the end of Oct. they shouldn't mess with their depth on D for a short fix @ center as Staal, Rask & Nicas looks like 3 good centers. If Aho plays center it adds to C depth but decreases top LW.

I think it is still too soon to tell on the Rask front but I'm pretty OK with a Faulk - Turris swap as a basis.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
He would be the 2C ahead of Turris.

I agree. Duchene is a lot closer to Johansen than Turris is to Duchene. It wouldn't be quite the center depth of Pittsburgh/Toronto but it'd be pretty damn good, seeing as though their combination of defence and goaltending is better than any other team in the league.

I'd probably take that if I'm Ottawa but I expect Duchene to sign in the coming weeks before the season starts. Dorion would be crazy to let him start without a contract (but he's done much crazier things).

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
That's a big price to pay only for Nashville to slot him as 3C for a year. Keep in mind Duchene is going to want to cash in on his next contract.
3C?
He'd play above Turris for sure and maybe RyJo as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->