Duchene not with the Sens in California

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
IMO Duchene is going to make enough money with his next contract to sustain himself & his family for the rest of their lives regardless of where he signs. He may or may not have 10 more yrs left in him whereby they live this crazy life of an NHL family but after that they could live anywhere & enjoy their lives in peace & financial comfort. This area would be the perfect place to raise their family IMO but so would numerous other places including a warm climate somewhere.

Having said that though, I have to wonder how much he likes playing here under this coaching staff & with this owner to a lesser degree since I doubt they have much interaction in the day to day stuff. I assume that after this season that Boucher & company will not return to coach this team which may bode well in Duchene re-signing here. Otherwise given what was said in the Uber there is clearly a lack of respect for this coaching staff & IMO Boucher lost the room a while ago & is just playing out the string at this point. I think Stone signs for sure & Duchene too, but I'm not so sure they re-sign either Dzingel or Ceci. It could be too much for this owner to handle at the same time.
I don't think coahcing matters as much when signing long term (thats what an ex player said on tsn 1200). These guys know they will out last Boucher and probably the next guy that comes in. ownership and direction of team def matter though

Reactions: aragorn

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If anything, it would make him consider going back to Colorado, or signing with a team that's a short flight away from Denver (Vegas, San Jose, Anaheim, etc), where his wife is from and her friends and family live.

Duchene is on the road for 100+ days a year, while his wife will be raising his child. A support network and comfort for her probably trumps good fishing in Haliburton.

I did not know where his Wife's family was, but knew he spends his summers in Haliburton, where he was born and raised, and assume that's where his family, also a support network, is still located.

Don't know about you, but I'd prefer living in Haliburton over Denver, in the off season, and suspect that will only be a minor factor in his decision on whether he remains a Senator or not.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I did not know where his Wife's family was, but knew he spends his summers in Haliburton, where he was born and raised, and assume that's where his family, also a support network, is still located.

Don't know about you, but I'd prefer living in Haliburton over Denver, in the off season, and suspect that will only be a minor factor in his decision on whether he remains a Senator or not.
Haliburton, the place where that hockey player is from?!?!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

The Duchene's can continue living in Haliburton, in the offseasons, just as they have his entire career, to spend time with his side of the family.

During the hockey season, however, a time when Matt Duchene is on the road for ~100 days, it's easy to believe that Ashley Duchene would like to be closer to her family, as she doesn't get to see them in the summers, especially when she's raising children. Denver to Ottawa is a minimum 6.5 hour connecting flight.

That's often how a lot hockey marriages work. The family spends their summers where the father (player) grew up, and the seasons where the mom and wife grew up. It's one of the biggest reasons why players re-sign with the team that drafted them, if they can, because they often meet their spouse when they're 18-24 years old. It's why players like Andreas Dackell, Radek Bonk, and other former Senators still live in Ottawa, despite not being from here. Their partners are.

It's also why rumors out of Karlsson's group of friends in Ottawa have him signing with the NYR and not SJ, so that Melinda can jump on a 45 minute flight to get back to Ottawa whenever she needs/wants.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Having children does change things. If he's offered less money, that's money being taken away from his kid as well now. He has to think about providing for his family. The owners don't care about the players. Players are simply assets that diminish rapidly. Owners want to pay them as little as possible and only as long as they have to.
I don't understand this hatred towards a player for wanting to be paid what the market will pay. The market sets the price.

It's like someone asking to buy your house for $50k less than you could get for it on the open market. Your first reaction would be 'wait, that's not fair' and then they turn around and call you greedy.

Well said.

And those costs do add up. Most of those wealthy families don't send their kids to public school, that's for sure. From what I've seen, those high end private schools run over $60k per year. Figure in 12 years of schooling plus university...tons of moola.

Add in these athletes only have 5-15 years to make their money, but another 40+ years to live off it....those millions don't always go as far as people think. Especially if some of those early investments don't work out.

Reactions: Variable26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad