Duchene not with the Sens in California

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So I take it you're not a parent.

So the fact that @branch doesn't think having a kid and being (sort of) from the area might not make him reconsider where he plans on signing his next contract means he doesn't have kids? :laugh:

I've got 2 kids, and I'm from the area, and I just spent 7+ years overseas. Took my kids with me, and don't regret the decision for a second. It's the best thing we ever did as a family.

Experiences are anecdotal, and do not apply to everyone. Don't pretend everyone holds ideas and values similar to your own.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Did he just find out his wife was pregnant yesterday?

What part of " Having your first child is a life altering event." did you not understand?

Until you hold your firstborn, in your hands, you have not clue as to how much your perceptive(s) of what's important in life, changes

Reactions: aragorn

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You are right about that. My wife and I are expecting our first in a few months. We have no intention of leaving Toronto now (which is something we were actively considering before the pregnancy), and having immediate family living close by is a big factor in this.

Congratulations.

I suggest you stay up tonight and watch all of the Sens game, and the same for the next two, as you'll need to get used to not sleeping for about two years. :rolleyes:

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I understand the point you are making here, as I am a father of two young kids, but just like most in life, $$ talks. If your employer won't pay you what you're worth and someone else will, you go somewhere else.

Yeah, if (lol) Ottawa completely lowballs Duchene I wouldn't expect him to stick around. But if (again lol) Dorion somehow scrapes together a competitive offer, then Duchene's new family situation could help tip the balance in Ottawa's favour.

Reactions: maclean

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Having your first child is a life altering event.

A lot of life's perspectives change pretty quickly, and with Haliburton being his hometown, with family perhaps still living there, might make him think about what you're suggesting.
money talks

pay Duchene his value and im sure he stays

MtL will pay him and it isn't too far

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If having a child makes being close to his hometown in Ontario a big factor, he could sign with Montreal or Buffalo. Buffalo is almost just as close as Ottawa is to Haliburton. Montreal isn't much farther than either.

Both of those teams could make it work cap wise. The Sabres may have to move on from Sam Reinhart eventually or make some other considerations if they choose to keep Skinner and also successfully sign Duchene. For the next two seasons, the Sabres would be fine.

The Sabres also have the assets to go after Duchene at the deadline. They have four first round picks over the next two drafts. Montreal likely wouldn't go after Duchene at the deadline given what Bergevin has said about avoiding rentals, but they could still be a player on July 1st if he makes it to free agency.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If having a child makes being close to his hometown in Ontario a big factor, he could sign with Montreal or Buffalo. Buffalo is almost just as close as Ottawa is to Haliburton. Montreal isn't much farther than either.

Both of those teams could make it work cap wise. The Sabres may have to move on from Sam Reinhart eventually or make some other considerations if they choose to keep Skinner and also successfully sign Duchene. For the next two seasons, the Sabres would be fine.

The Sabres also have the assets to go after Duchene at the deadline. They have four first round picks over the next two drafts. Montreal likely wouldn't go after Duchene at the deadline given what Bergevin has said about avoiding rentals, but they could still be a player on July 1st if he makes it to free agency.
The real unfortunate part with a deal to Buffalo and Montreal, is that we already know that there is some sort of bizarre restriction the org puts on trades within the division, re: Hoffman trade. Forget who it was, but I thought Dreger said something to that effect

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Nice. Congrats to him and his wife.

This is good for the Sens too. Give him an extended vacation, keep him off the ice and healthy for the trade deadline.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Also depends on the wife. I don't know anything about her or what city she's from (or where her family lives). I'd figure, as long as it's a simple plane/train ride away, and extended family are financially secure (as in, they can afford regular travel) location doesn't matter too much. We're also in a day and age where technology tends to close the distance gap fairly effectively on a day-to-day basis.

I'd imagine places with strong healthcare, good for families, and high end nursery and elementary school move up the list of priorities.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Yeah, but who wants to raise kids in Buffalo?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Also depends on the wife. I don't know anything about her or what city she's from (or where her family lives). I'd figure, as long as it's a simple plane/train ride away, and extended family are financially secure (as in, they can afford regular travel) location doesn't matter too much. We're also in a day and age where technology tends to close the distance gap fairly effectively on a day-to-day basis.

I'd imagine places with strong healthcare, good for families, and high end nursery and elementary school move up the list of priorities.

The wife is from colorado

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Always a special moment, the first child. Life will never be the same. I don't know if his parents are still in Haliburton, but Ottawa seems like a great place right now to be in for the Duchenes. Ottawa is a great place to raise a family, but of course, money talks and he will do what is in his best interests at the end of the day.

Reactions: NorthCoast

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Good to see it went well!

Man, what a life that must be for all these babies of the rich in this era of personal indulgence. Retire as soon as you're out of the womb and spend your entire life doing anything you want!!!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Having your first child is a life altering event.

A lot of life's perspectives change pretty quickly, and with Haliburton being his hometown, with family perhaps still living there, might make him think about what you're suggesting.

If anything, it would make him consider going back to Colorado, or signing with a team that's a short flight away from Denver (Vegas, San Jose, Anaheim, etc), where his wife is from and her friends and family live.

Duchene is on the road for 100+ days a year, while his wife will be raising his child. A support network and comfort for her probably trumps good fishing in Haliburton.

Last edited:

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
If anything, it would make him consider going back to Colorado, or signing with a team that's a short flight away from Denver (Vegas, San Jose, Anaheim, etc), where his wife is from and her friends and family live.

Duchene is on the road for 100+ days a year, while his wife will be raising his child. A support network and comfort for her probably trumps good fishing in Haliburton.
95 and 61 for Ott 1st. Straight up. Would you do it?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
95 and 61 for Ott 1st. Straight up. Would you do it?

I would. Colorado wouldn't.

But wouldn't that be something!

After having his first child, Matt Duchene's life perspective changes, and he goes back to Colorado, where he grew up and his wife is from, to right the wrongs of the past. He wants his son to be an Avs fan, just like he was. Colorado signs him and drafts Kakko to play on his wing, and they form a 2nd line to complement MacKinnon-Rantanen-Landeskog. Makar also joins the team, and they win 2 cups in the next 5 seasons.

Storybook ending.

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Having children does change things. If he's offered less money, that's money being taken away from his kid as well now. He has to think about providing for his family. The owners don't care about the players. Players are simply assets that diminish rapidly. Owners want to pay them as little as possible and only as long as they have to.
I don't understand this hatred towards a player for wanting to be paid what the market will pay. The market sets the price.

It's like someone asking to buy your house for $50k less than you could get for it on the open market. Your first reaction would be 'wait, that's not fair' and then they turn around and call you greedy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Duchene is going to make enough money with his next contract to sustain himself & his family for the rest of their lives regardless of where he signs. He may or may not have 10 more yrs left in him whereby they live this crazy life of an NHL family but after that they could live anywhere & enjoy their lives in peace & financial comfort. This area would be the perfect place to raise their family IMO but so would numerous other places including a warm climate somewhere.

Having said that though, I have to wonder how much he likes playing here under this coaching staff & with this owner to a lesser degree since I doubt they have much interaction in the day to day stuff. I assume that after this season that Boucher & company will not return to coach this team which may bode well in Duchene re-signing here. Otherwise given what was said in the Uber there is clearly a lack of respect for this coaching staff & IMO Boucher lost the room a while ago & is just playing out the string at this point. I think Stone signs for sure & Duchene too, but I'm not so sure they re-sign either Dzingel or Ceci. It could be too much for this owner to handle at the same time.

Reactions: pzeeman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad