Duchene + Mackinnon

m0ngr31

Here's an article Dater just posted on twitter about Duchene mentoring Mackinnon. Pretty good read. This is what I found to be the most interesting...

Duchene on 3rd season:
“It was very tough and there were lot of things behind the scenes that no one knows about, only the people closest to me know what I went through.

“I don’t think it will ever get to that point with Nathan but I want to be able to help him because I’ve been through everything a player can go through in four years, and I know how it feels.â€

http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/75...innon-under-his-wing-with-colorado-avalanche/

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Isn't this being discussed in another thread? Maybe we could pull the posts over here, or pull this over there, or something.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I asked this in the Elimination thread since I didn't know about it either.

Pretty cool that Duchy is taking the leading role here with Mack. It really shows a lot about how far his maturity and character has come since he came to Colorado. I know personally that over the same four year span (started college when Duchy got to the Avs) I can notice the same differences in my own personality, must be even harder for a star professional athlete.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
can't find the other thread?:help:

Some discussion in the MacKinnon thread.

It was a great article and a lot to ponder on. I love hearing about Duchene and MacK working together, especially as cornerstones of the franchise. I wonder if Duchene's "issues" we're management related. He discussed the same things in a radio interview alongside the topic of management.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I believe the dark things Duchene was going through was the loss of a family member, as well as the injuries and never feeling comfortable on the ice that season. I think he has said that before.

Also, how lucky are we to have Duchene and Landy on this team. Our leadership should be strong for the next decade.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
i was going to post this in the Duchene thread but it is relevant here

Video of Duchene and Crosby practice/scrimmage in Halifax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thE5z0FDDq0

I can't begin to describe how much I appreciate the Halifax media for all this content.

I know a lot of other franchises hate on Crosby (e.g. Detroit and Philly), but if Duchene ever takes the step to true stardom, I can't help but think that Crosby will have played a huge role in that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
i was going to post this in the Duchene thread but it is relevant here

Video of Duchene and Crosby practice/scrimmage in Halifax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thE5z0FDDq0

I can't begin to describe how much I appreciate the Halifax media for all this content.

Wow, awesome seeing Duchene and Crosby on line rushes, and seeing Dutchy burry his shots. Also, the speed at which he toed that pass behind him to his skates and then kicked it up to his blade was insane.

It would be huge for the team if Duchene can just keep his same level of play and consistency from last year, but if he can actually take it a step further he could vault himself into top 5 in the league category.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I know a lot of other franchises hate on Crosby (e.g. Detroit and Philly), but if Duchene ever takes the step to true stardom, I can't help but think that Crosby will have played a huge role in that.

I agree with this statement. I'm not big on Crosby but if Duchene continues to get better some of the credit needs to go to Crosby.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Also, how lucky are we to have Duchene and Landy on this team. Our leadership should be strong for the next decade.

I still say we should've took that DUchene for Kulikov offer.

These guys seem to be very close, you think Sidney might have a word with YZerman to get Duchene on his line for Sochi? They essentially brought Bergeron to play with him las time because of their chemistry in 05. Just something to think about.

Also just watching that clip of Crosby, it amazes me how he can easily protect the puck with his legs and drive the net. Not much the defender can do.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Some discussion in the MacKinnon thread.

It was a great article and a lot to ponder on. I love hearing about Duchene and MacK working together, especially as cornerstones of the franchise. I wonder if Duchene's "issues" we're management related. He discussed the same things in a radio interview alongside the topic of management.

Ah ok thanks. Must've missed it. :)

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I would be ecstatic if Duchene and Crosby were on a line together at the Olympics.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
One more video of Crosby and Duchene. More of the former but still worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paHZWkUvxIo

That between the legs pass to Dutchy was ridiculous. Perfectly right on the tape without looking. They have some great chemistry. Only time I've ever seen Duchene just give up the puck for someone else to carry, and play more of a sniper or setup role, and he's done that in every clip. They do very well on give and go's too, and Duthcy burries his chances off those great passes. They have to be a favorite to be paired together for Sochi at this point.

BTW, any updates on how Hish is doing? I'm assuming these skates might be for established NHLers only, so that's why we haven't seen him there, but he should be training with Nate, Matt, and Andy O'Brien.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I thought someone said that Hishon was only training with advice from O'Brien rather than "with" him. I never saw his name mentioned with the Halifax crew. Looks like there will be further rendezvous in LA and Vail before the season so we'll see, hopefully. Landy will be in Vail again with the O'Brien crew, btw.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Could be the best 1, 2 punch in the league next to malkin and crosby.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I remember in early 2009-2010 I was ridiculed for speculating that Duchene was the butt of bullying.

I think it's pretty apparent that he was bullied by teammates like Stewart (who I remember laughing and calling him the most immature player on the team) and others.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Could be the best 1, 2 punch in the league next to malkin and crosby.

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here.

I remember in early 2009-2010 I was ridiculed for speculating that Duchene was the butt of bullying.

I think it's pretty apparent that he was bullied by teammates like Stewart (who I remember laughing and calling him the most immature player on the team) and others.

In talking to a certain Avalanche prospect, he said it was really clear that Matt didn't get a long with many of the guys on the team. This was a couple years ago now, before a guy like Landeskog really took a role as a leader on the team so who knows where it sits now. "Bullying" might have been a strong word, but I know that he was kind of a loner when compared to lots of the guys on the club at that time.

I think him taking MacKinnon under his wing will be both a good thing for Matt and for Nate.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In talking to a certain Avalanche prospect, he said it was really clear that Matt didn't get a long with many of the guys on the team. This was a couple years ago now, before a guy like Landeskog really took a role as a leader on the team so who knows where it sits now. "Bullying" might have been a strong word, but I know that he was kind of a loner when compared to lots of the guys on the club at that time.

I think him taking MacKinnon under his wing will be both a good thing for Matt and for Nate.

Seems like Matt is well liked now by at least Stastny and Landy. As with any team there are 'cliques' that form.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I think it was apparent when the Avs cleaned house and more outspoken/big-character guys like Stewart, Shattenkirk, and Galiardi were shipped out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think it was apparent when the Avs cleaned house and more outspoken/big-character guys like Stewart, Shattenkirk, and Galiardi were shipped out.

I don't think Shattenkirk belongs in that group. SOB, Gali, Stewart, etc. I can see. SOB was a huge mistake to bring into the Avs. His character problems were well known before, and they cropped up yet again. Vegas Baby!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->