News: Duchene intrigued by free-agency route after watching Tavares

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Duchene isn't open to those talks, there isn't much they can do. Ottawa needs to sign Karlsson otherwise you can't really blame someone like Duchene says "screw this."

To be fair, Tavaras handled it extremely poorly. He all but gave the impressed he was staying, and if I recall said as much midway through the season which is why he didn't want to discuss trades. Isles fans are pissed not because we walked away, but due to him borderline lying about it.
imo at the deadline Tavares probably had no idea what he really wanted to, and if he were honest he would say that he wants to stay an Islander.

However, the team that was built that season, although starting strong, had fell apart and only got worse the more they needed to win. This was after the team went in full win mode and collected players such as Eberle and Ladd, as well as staying aggressive to try and find a goalie. If that team could not make the playoffs, why would Tavares think they ever could?

Imo last season was do or die for the Isles. That was their chance to keep Tavares and they blew it. Now, with De Haan and Tavares gone, they will have to re tool

Reactions: shortfuze

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Snow said he wouldn't trade him, Tavares said this was fine

If anyone is the scumbags, it's the entitled brat fans who think superstars owe them their career after wasting a decade there already.

Snow and ownership based their comments and actions on Tavares comments. Why would they trade him, when they were believing his lies?

Botta has written Tavares made the "Do not trade me" request before the TDL . A poster listening to Evan Roberts on WFAN reported that Roberts ripped Tavares a new one on air, calling him a lying psychopath. Crickets from Tavares and his rep

Not trying to hijack a Duchene thread. Feel free to scroll thru the Tavares thread on the isles board.

Reactions: Patagonia

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The ownership situation in Ottawa is in the process of being changed.

The lack of negotiations with EK, Duchene and the 1 year deal for Stone are not business as usual.

I just don’t buy that. It just seems like a dream best case scenario for you guys but it doesn’t make sense. Any potential owner would prefer to have good players under contract.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
imo at the deadline Tavares probably had no idea what he really wanted to, and if he were honest he would say that he wants to stay an Islander.

That’s not what he said. He said he wanted to stay.

If he was undecided, he could’ve said so, instead of publicly and repeatedly lying to the public.

I don’t know what was said behind closed doors, but I would assume he lied to the team as well.

It was an extremely classless mishandling of the situation.

Reactions: A Pointed Stick

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Avs and habs were his favourite teams growing up.
He obviously won't want to go the avs, but the habs is a possibility considering they have a need at center and have loads of cap space
For Patches if not Habs will just wait it out.:sarcasm:
Actually no i wouldn't trade Patches for Duchene when we could just wait it out and get him for nothing. We'll Trade Patches elsewhere.

Last edited:

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Duchene is going to end up in Montreal because Bergy has a huge mancrush on him and has been trying to land him for years. He's going to be ridiculously overpaid, too. Book it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh no team ever has lost their 4 best players in one season,Ottawa will at least keep 3 of Dzingle,Duchene,Stone and EK

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Meh no team ever has lost their 4 best players in one season,Ottawa will at least keep 3 of Dzingle,Duchene,Stone and EK

My guess is they keep Dzingel and the rest are gone unless something big happens . This is Ballard level bad in Ottawa. Ballard owner, Stellick Manager, Brophy coach ... that trio still takes the cake but .. its close.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Snow and ownership based their comments and actions on Tavares comments. Why would they trade him, when they were believing his lies?

Botta has written Tavares made the "Do not trade me" request before the TDL . A poster listening to Evan Roberts on WFAN reported that Roberts ripped Tavares a new one on air, calling him a lying psychopath. Crickets from Tavares and his rep

Not trying to hijack a Duchene thread. Feel free to scroll thru the Tavares thread on the isles board.
There is a world of difference between "Do not trade me" and "I don't want to be traded".

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I doubt that will ever happen. His childhood dream of playing for the Avs is pretty much shattered forever.

Roy and Sakic were his 2 favorite players growing up and both of them **** all over Duchene for an extended period of time, while saying they did not want him and actively trying to trade him for like 2 years.
Quote from Duchene:

"You never know, maybe one day I'll be back, but it was an honor to have played for [Avalanche general manager] Joe [Sakic] and Patty [former Avalanche coach Patrick Roy] and played with [Peter] Forsberg and all those guys. That was something I dreamt about as a kid and I got to live it..."

Duchene traded to Senators by Avalanche

Reactions: Pure

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Quote from Duchene:

"You never know, maybe one day I'll be back, but it was an honor to have played for [Avalanche general manager] Joe [Sakic] and Patty [former Avalanche coach Patrick Roy] and played with [Peter] Forsberg and all those guys. That was something I dreamt about as a kid and I got to live it..."

Duchene traded to Senators by Avalanche

I don't think that relationship can ever be rekindled. I wish nothing but the best for Matt, but the Avs are much better off without him. I've never seen a player beat so mentally soft in all my years watching hockey.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If anyone gives him 7m+ over a long term deal...good luck. Ive never seen a teams culture change so fast when he left Colorado (literally just +Girard going from historically bad season to playoffs), then joining Ottawa (historically good season for the franchise to tire fire dump) It isnt all of his fault but he is not a winner. Complimentary player through and through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad