News: Duchene intrigued by free-agency route after watching Tavares

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
For some reason I can see him join a team like Winnipeg on a mercenary deal to push for a Cup before settling on whatever team gives him a 7 year contract.

Reactions: jgimp

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This was the only thing you said that made sense....

Had you taken the time to read the rest of post, you would have made sense of the whole post.

Calling him "Tr91tor" is just stupid, he had given the Islanders a very good chance to build around him but the Islanders owner ship and management were too stupid to do that and now the Islanders fans are behaving just like the Islanders owner ship and management.

Reactions: Cotton

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Why the hell should the habs be looking to sign a player long term that's going to be past his prime?
Oh wait, price and Weber.

Yah bargainbin will continue to make stupid decisions that make no sense.

9 million per for 7 seasons!! Bargainbin is gonna be busy.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Matt Duchene's tenure in Ottawa could wind up being very brief, as the 2019 unrestricted free agent confirmed to reporters Friday that he and the Senators haven't had any contract talks yet.”

That’s ridiculous. I get that EK is priority, but he alone isn’t a 24/7 job. How do you not at least get talks started with Duchene?

If Duchene isn't open to those talks, there isn't much they can do. Ottawa needs to sign Karlsson otherwise you can't really blame someone like Duchene says "screw this."

Had you taken the time to read the rest of post, you would have made sense of the whole post.

Calling him "Tr91tor" is just stupid, he had given the Islanders a very good chance to build around him but the Islanders owner ship and management were too stupid to do that and now the Islanders fans are behaving just like the Islanders owner ship and management.

To be fair, Tavaras handled it extremely poorly. He all but gave the impressed he was staying, and if I recall said as much midway through the season which is why he didn't want to discuss trades. Isles fans are pissed not because we walked away, but due to him borderline lying about it.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Why the hell should the habs be looking to sign a player long term that's going to be past his prime?
Oh wait, price and Weber.

Yah bargainbin will continue to make stupid decisions that make no sense.

9 million per for 7 seasons!! Bargainbin is gonna be busy.

7 years would be 28-35, that's a perfect duration. He'd start to drop off in the final year or so. 9 million obviously isn't happening though

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

duchene.jpg

qtBZ1YL

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
For some reason I can see him join a team like Winnipeg on a mercenary deal to push for a Cup before settling on whatever team gives him a 7 year contract.

Whe you say Winnipeg you really mean Nashville or Pittsburgh, right? The latter two teams I can definitely see Duchene doing something like that. Hell, I can see him take a really team-friendly long-term contract with them, as well.

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Jets won't be able to get him for the year. Ottawa will want a first + and I don't see the Jets trading their first this season.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The ownership situation in Ottawa is in the process of being changed.

The lack of negotiations with EK, Duchene and the 1 year deal for Stone are not business as usual.
Really? Can you please provide a link from a newpaper chain, sports media organization, or ever a respected blogger or twitter poster that supports this claim?

I only keep seeing stories that Melnyk has no intention to sell the team. Sounds to me that the Sens are stuck with Melnyk until they drop his coffin into a 6 ft deep hole.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I am not pissed that pajama boy left as a ufa. He earned that status and could go where he choose.

I am pissed that he told the owners & front office before the TDL " Do not trade me". Tavares repeatedly told the press how much he loved it on LI and hoped to spend his entire career there.

Then he bolts as a ufa several months after his do not trade me request
What a s***** move.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I am not pissed that pajama boy left as a ufa. He earned that status and could go where he choose.

I am pissed that he told the owners & front office before the TDL " Do not trade me". Tavares repeatedly told the press how much he loved it on LI and hoped to spend his entire career there.

What a s***** move.

This is so true. With that request he completely f***ed the Isles over. If they had traded him anyways it would have been a PR shitstorm; His request would have hit the media and the entire hockey world would have taken it as a given that he'd have re-signed with the Isles had he not been traded. The Isles were put in an impossible position.

Btw, do you, or anybody else, know how much the Isles offered Tavares to stay? $ and term?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
This is so true. With that request he completely ****ed the Isles over. If they had traded him anyways it would have been a PR ****storm; His request would have hit the media and the entire hockey world would have taken it as a given that he'd have re-signed with the Isles had he not been traded. The Isles were put in an impossible position.

Btw, do you, or anybody else, know how much the Isles offered Tavares to stay? $ and term?
I have not read any dollars amounts but Malkin has opened his checkbook between dumping Garth Snow's golden parachute ( gift from Wang), contracts for Lou/Trotz and the attempts to land a star.

There is a draft weekend tweet on the isles board reporting that Lou had been trying to swing an EK trade and the isles were willing to take on Ryan's contract to get a deal done. EK refused Lou's extension request and those trade talks ended. Gotta figure EK+ Ryan would be $18m or $19m per combined

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Excellent indeed, there is no reason to be mad at all, TY BASED JOHN TAVARES-all Islanders fans should be saying that.
f*** no he’s a scum bag and demanded to not be traded so he wouldn’t have to play hard and risk injury if he went to a contender

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
**** no he’s a scum bag and demanded to not be traded so he wouldn’t have to play hard and risk injury if he went to a contender

Snow said he wouldn't trade him, Tavares said this was fine

If anyone is the scumbags, it's the entitled brat fans who think superstars owe them their career after wasting a decade there already.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

What a s***** move.

Absolutely agree this was terrible for the NYI.

He might have felt underpaid, but he signed a long-term deal early in his career without a bridge his financial future was secured. The team did everything possible to keep him happy.

The only expectation is to reciprocate and let the team know he might leave to recoup some return. Not only leaving for the Leafs, but majority of money is paid upfront to be lockout proof.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Matt Duchene's tenure in Ottawa could wind up being very brief, as the 2019 unrestricted free agent confirmed to reporters Friday that he and the Senators haven't had any contract talks yet.”

That’s ridiculous. I get that EK is priority, but he alone isn’t a 24/7 job. How do you not at least get talks started with Duchene?
Maybe they did or have and he just has his mind now on going to free agency at this time.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Duchene is intrigued by free agency after playing in Ottawa and reading the tea leaves.....

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Really? Can you please provide a link from a newpaper chain, sports media organization, or ever a respected blogger or twitter poster that supports this claim?

I only keep seeing stories that Melnyk has no intention to sell the team. Sounds to me that the Sens are stuck with Melnyk until they drop his coffin into a 6 ft deep hole.

This is probably the latest mention.

There’s really no denying that their is at least one group interested in buying, it’s been suggested there is more than one. Melnyk and Daley have acknowledged it as well this summer. Bob Mackenzie and others have touched on Melnyk potentially having no other choice but to sell.

Melnyk and the NHL can deny that he is not interested in selling, it’s in his best interest to but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen. It wouldn’t be the first time a team “wasn’t for sale” only to be sold. I’m not suggesting a sale is imminent but it’s really not as far fetched as outsiders think.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

You keep talking, but it sounds like "I don't know"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->