Duchene commits to Michigan State

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
We're arguing minor points here, I think we both agree that Canadien University hockey is not up to the level of American NCAA hockey, which DaaaaB's clearly did not understand and made up a "fact" to support his contention.

You are correct that former CIS do go on to play pro hockey at low levels, I was in error about that. Looking at the highest level the difference is clear, with only one former CIS player in the NHL that I'm aware of (the aforementioned Rucchin), whereas the list of former NCAA players is as you know numerous.
Yeah, I thought CIS was better then NCAA. :biglaugh: Way to put words in my mouth. My post was about the CHL being the better route and I made one somewhat jokingly comment about the CIS. You're so defensive about the NCAA that you jump all over that comment and make up statements like I thought CIS is better. Sure my comment was misleading because it wasn't really a NCAA allstar team but it was many of their top players and so called more mature players and they were referred to as an allstar team I believe. Nowhere did I say that CIS is a higher level of hockey. As for this fact I made up, I actually watched those games while you talk as though you never knew they happened. Did you just start watching hockey in the last 5 years?

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Yeah, I thought CIS was better then NCAA. :biglaugh: Way to put words in my mouth. My post was about the CHL being the better route and I made one somewhat jokingly comment about the CIS. You're so defensive about the NCAA that you jump all over that comment and make up statements like I thought CIS is better.

You're the one who implied that, here's the part of your previous post I responded to:

No they are not. I would put up a team of the top CHL players against those guys any day. Half of those NCAA players listed will be lucky to ever be regular's in the show. Hell, the NCAA all-star team usually has trouble beating the Canadian University all star team.

Now the first part I have no argument with. Just because a player is a top NCAA player certainly does not mean they'll ever be regulars at the NHL level, and the top CHL players against the top NCAA players would be a fascinating game. But then you then went on emphasize this point by implying that the best NCAA players have trouble even beating the best CIS players. Yes, I was aware of the "North American All-Star" game that was played for a couple of years at Joe Louis Arena, lack of fan interest killed it quickly. And, as has already been pointed out, those NCAA players were hardly the best of the best, they were graduated seniors who had exhausted their college eligibility. The elite prospects for the most part had, as always, left school early to start their pro careers.

So that's what I took issue with, implying that the NCAA is such a low level of hockey that their best can't even beat washed-up CIS players! I agree that for the young elite prospect, the CHL is the best way to go as you can start competing against high-level competition at an earlier age. But for the late bloomer, the NCAA is just as valid a way to a long pro career. So where I take issue is the when someone says that the CHL absolutely, positively, unquestionably, the best route for a prospect hoping for a NHL career to take. For many it is, for others the NCAA may be better. It all depends on the individual.

Anyway, this is my last post on this thread as I think all avenues have been discussed. And not that it matters, but I've watched hockey at all levels much longer than 5 years, which has given me enough perspective not to make blanket statements about what the best avenue for developing prospects is.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
You're the one who implied that, here's the part of your previous post I responded to:

Now the first part I have no argument with. Just because a player is a top NCAA player certainly does not mean they'll ever be regulars at the NHL level, and the top CHL players against the top NCAA players would be a fascinating game. But then you then went on emphasize this point by implying that the best NCAA players have trouble even beating the best CIS players. Yes, I was aware of the "North American All-Star" game that was played for a couple of years at Joe Louis Arena, lack of fan interest killed it quickly. And, as has already been pointed out, those NCAA players were hardly the best of the best, they were graduated seniors who had exhausted their college eligibility. The elite prospects for the most part had, as always, left school early to start their pro careers.

So that's what I took issue with, implying that the NCAA is such a low level of hockey that their best can't even beat washed-up CIS players! I agree that for the young elite prospect, the CHL is the best way to go as you can start competing against high-level competition at an earlier age. But for the late bloomer, the NCAA is just as valid a way to a long pro career. So where I take issue is the when someone says that the CHL absolutely, positively, unquestionably, the best route for a prospect hoping for a NHL career to take. For many it is, for others the NCAA may be better. It all depends on the individual.
Anyway, this is my last post on this thread as I think all avenues have been discussed. And not that it matters, but I've watched hockey at all levels much longer than 5 years, which has given me enough perspective not to make blanket statements about what the best avenue for developing prospects is.
Like I said in my previous post the comment I made was misleading and I didn't mean to imply that CIS is better. I shouldn't have said it but it was really a minor point in my original post. I like your statement that I bolded and I can agree with you there. My original post I was more referring to the young elite prospects. I really do think the NCAA is a very good league I just hate when people try to shoot down the CHL as a little boys league and being far less a challange then NCAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad