Ducharme tests positive for COVID-19

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
Covid is dead??? Tell that to the delta variant

Yes. There is a surge of new cases in the UK because of the variants.

This is probably the best managed pandemic in the history of mankind. Usually they last a few years, and we managed to minimize it to about a year and a half, and there are a shitton more deaths in urban environment.

In fact, people forget that until recently, cities were demographic - deficit because of disease. More people died in cities than were born, and only rural immigration maintained the population

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Me too. 3 people just got Covid where I work and we havent had a new case in awhile. All 3 that got sick were "fully" vaccinated. All 3 are sick with symptoms.
It's a common misconception.

You're vaccinated against those specific strains but a virus mutates all the time, hence why there is no permanent flu shot but new ones every year; new strains developed.

This will be no different and there will never be a permanent COVID vaccine; only one to protect against specific strains.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Someone please tell that idiot to stop pulling down his mask when talking to players if he can't play safe.
ducharme_canadiens.jpg
KK positive confirmed

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Yes. There is a surge of new cases in the UK because of the variants.

This is probably the best managed pandemic in the history of mankind. Usually they last a few years, and we managed to minimize it to about a year and a half, and there are a shitton more deaths in urban environment.

In fact, people forget that until recently, cities were demographic - deficit because of disease. More people died in cities than were born, and only rural immigration maintained the population
Delta is not only surging in the UK my friend.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Even if you're vaccinated you can get it. You won't be affected but you can carry the virus and pass it to others.

Correct but the odds of infection after full mRNA vaccination is incredibly low (reduces odds by 90 percent plus) and most people who test positive are simply carriers not transmitters because of such a low viral load.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Against the original COVID strain, 2 weeks after your first Pfizer shot, it was ~85% effective at preventing symptoms, and ~95% 2 weeks after you second shot. But against Delta variant, which is currently surging in a tonne of areas, it’s only ~33% effective 2 weeks after your first shot, but it grows a lot to ~88% effective 2 weeks after your second shot. Moderna is similarly effective, AZ less so.

Ducharme got his 2nd shot, but quite recently, less than 2 weeks ago. And I don’t think we know which vaccine he got? If he was around 1 week post-2nd-Pfizer, he’s only be around at around 50-75% immunity from the Delta variant. Even at max immunity from Delta, 88% is far from perfect - we’re banking on herd immunity to end the pandemic, and even then we have to hope no new variants appear that are much worse than Delta.

Obviously exposure risk is high for Ducharme (or anyone on any of the remaining teams), via travelling to Vegas, and playing in a packed arena with 18,000 fans, many of whom certainly had COVID.

Last edited:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Against the original COVID strain, 2 weeks after your first Pfizer shot, it was ~85% effective at preventing symptoms, and ~95% 2 weeks after you second shot. But against Delta variant, which is currently surging in a tonne of areas, it’s only ~33% effective 2 weeks after your first shot, but it grows a lot to ~88% effective 2 weeks after your second shot. Moderna is similarly effective, AZ less so.

Ducharme got his 2nd shot, but quite recently, less than 2 weeks ago. And I don’t think we know which vaccine he got? If he was around 1 week post-2nd-Pfizer, he’s only be around at around 50-75% immunity from the Delta variant. Even at max immunity from Delta, 88% is far from perfect - we’re banking on herd immunity to end the pandemic, and even then we have to hope no new variants appear that are much worse than Delta.

Obviously exposure risk is high for Ducharme (or anyone on any of the remaining teams), via travelling to Vegas, and playing in a packed arena with 18,000 fans, many of whom certainly had COVID.
You miss this. As far as I know, he was not lying in a sickbed. He was symptom-free, and he did not know he had Covid. So, the shots worked.

Reactions: torniojaws

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
You miss this. As far as I know, he was not lying in a sickbed. He was symptom-free, and he did not know he had Covid. So, the shots worked.
Ah, didn’t hear that, good news!! Not that he’s out of the woods yet, but if he continues to be symptom free, likely won’t be out too long.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Oh, I know. But the UK is a good example of a country that had to reclose because of the dangerousness of the variants

Not quite right.

Actual genuine danger to life of the new variant in the UK is statistically speaking zero - unless you're 80+ with co-morbidities. It's all there in the data.

Doesn't sell the panic well enough though, so right now all we're hearing about is a surge in case numbers whilst the actual deaths are suddenly not an important stat anymore.

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
Not quite right.

Actual genuine danger to life of the new variant in the UK is statistically speaking zero - unless you're 80+ with co-morbidities. It's all there in the data.

Doesn't sell the panic well enough though, so right now all we're hearing about is a surge in case numbers whilst the actual deaths are suddenly not an important stat anymore.

But the point is not the dangerousness. It's the infectiousness. It's the speed at which it can spread like wildfire through a population that's not sufficiently protecting itself.

And just because people don't die doesn't mean the illness isn't serious and doesn't require hospitalization, or even ER care.

You look at just one side of the statistics without doing the brainwork to understand how it fits in the big picture. Either you are that misinformed or you are disingenuous in your argumentation.

Reactions: I am toxic

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
But the point is not the dangerousness. It's the infectiousness. It's the speed at which it can spread like wildfire through a population that's not sufficiently protecting itself.

And just because people don't die doesn't mean the illness isn't serious and doesn't require hospitalization, or even ER care.

You look at just one side of the statistics without doing the brainwork to understand how it fits in the big picture. Either you are that misinformed or you are disingenuous in your argumentation.

We'll agree to disagree. I actually do risk modelling, statistics and data analysis for a living.

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
This. Absolute idiocy to have 18 000 people at the rink when vaccination rate in the state is below 50. Gary "Greedy Pig" Bettman and his cronies at work again.
Buttman has no say in what the state and local governments allow, including inside arenas. Not his fault even if he said no fans he is powerless to enforce it. States would sue and probably win just like Florida was suing the cruise ships (for trying to enforce passengers be vaccinated) they lost.

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
We'll agree to disagree. I actually do risk modelling, statistics and data analysis for a living.

So do I, and if you really did risk modelling for a living you'd knew you can't apply this skill to any random situation you haven't properly researched like any dilettante and call yourself an expert.

Reactions: I am toxic

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
The big thing with the mRNA vaccines is that they don't target the virus per se. They target the "hooks" the virus uses to attach itself to the host. Meaning they don't teach the body how to fight against "strain X" of the virus. They teach the body how to prevent viruses that use a given method to attach itself to the body from doing so. Traditional vaccines only do this against specific strains, which is why for example the Johnson & Johnson and Astra Zeneca vaccines have been so poor against the Indian delta variant, but Pfizer & Moderna have worked quite well against it too, despite it not even existing when the vaccines were developed. And chances are, they will work against most future variants, because of the way it works - blocking the attachment method, not teaching how to kill "this-very-specific-thing".

And again, the primary goal of all the corona vaccines is that you will not get seriously ill from infection. You can still get it, but instead of killing you, or putting you in ICU for 3 weeks, you'll have just a sore throat for a few days, or even no symptoms at all. But don't forget, you can still be a carrier, as there is still no evidence that vaccinated people are non-infectious. That's why they still recommend everyone to wear masks until we reach a global (well, mostly) 70 % vaccination rate, which probably first happens country by country, and later continents will become herd immune, and so on...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->