Dubnyk vs. Schwarz and Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
It still just baffles me how a lot of people on here still think Schwarz is better than Dubnyk. What else does Dubnyk have to do? Schwarz is on a far superior team. Dubnyk is on a horrible team and he gets tonnes of good scoring chances on him due to an inexperienced defence. He is second in the WHL in minutes played. He is kicking Schwarz's butt in SV %. He is single handedly getting Kamploops into the playoffs. Has broken Cory Hirsh's team record in shutouts. He is second in 3 star points in the WHL. The other day they were outshot 21-4 in the first period by Red Deer. That is how lopsided it is.

http://www.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies&id=0&leagueId=26

This kids work ethic and attitude to always learn and get better will make him the better goalie of the three. Now once Pouliot shows he is better than Parise Mr. Pierre MacGuire will be wrong on two points that he was so vocal about. Not to mention that the Oilers also picked up J.F. Jaques for moving down a few spots.

I check the minor league scores and major junior scores everyday and the college ones on the weekend. It seems like evertime I check the Kamloops scores Dubnyk stole a game for them and was one of the three stars. I decided to check out how many times he has been one of the 3 stars.

Here is a summary. He has played in 53 of Kamloop's 59 games. He has been one of the three stars 25 times which is almost half of the games played. He was 1st but now a close second in minutes played in the WHL. He has been left hung out to dry by his team many nights yet he still sports a .914 save percentage.

This goalie is going to be good. Do all the people that hated this pick or wanted Shcwarz instead feel better about it now. He is going to be a gooder. I loved his attitude in the draft review Guy did about how he asks for feedback from everyone and how he wants to learn so bad. That is what separates a great goalie from a good one. Kamloops is fighting hard for the last playoff spot and Dubnyk just stole a point in each of the games from powerhouse Kelowna a week or so ago.

October 1, 2004 - 1st star of the game - 32 saves for the shutout
October 2, 2004 - 3rd star of the game - 24 saves
October 17, 2004 - 3rd star of the game - 32 saves
October 23, 2004 - 3rd star of the game - 24 saves
October 30, 2004 - 1st star of the game - 28 saves
November 5, 2004 - 1st star of the game - 34 saves and a shutout
November 6, 2004 - 3rd star of the game - 26 saves
November 11, 2004 - 3rd star of the game - 21 saves
November 14, 2004 - 2nd star of the game - 26 saves
November 17, 2004 - 2nd star of the game - 23 saves
November 19, 2004 - 2nd star of the game - 40 saves
November 20, 2004 - 2nd star of the game - 31 saves
December 5, 2004 - 3rd star of the game - 35 saves
January 1, 2005 - 1st star of the game - 64 saves. won w/only 16 shots for
January 7, 2005 - 3rd star of the game - 25 saves
January 8, 2005 - 1st star of the game - 35 saves for the shutout
January 14, 2005 - 1st star of the game - 39 saves
January 23, 2005 - 2nd star of the game - 15 saves for the shutout
January 28, 2005 - 3rd star of the game - 27 saves
January 29, 2005 - 3rd star of the game - 36 saves
February 1, 2005 - 1st star of the game - 36 saves
February 5, 2005 - 1st star of the game - 43 saves
February 9, 2005 - 2nd star of the game - 30 saves for the shutout
February 11, 2005 - 3rd star of the game - 47 saves
February 16, 2005 - 2nd star of the game - 28 saves for the shutout

leafaholix*

Justin Pogge owns Devan Dubnyk this season.

Anyways, I'd take Schwarz a week before contemplating Dubnyk.

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
I like how neither of you offer any reasons.

Don't forget, Dubnyk is monstrous in the net.. in his butterfly there's still almost no room for anyone to put the puck. He's got size and talent, Schwarz.. well I guess he has some wins because he's on a better team? :dunno:

The hype on Schwarz is rediculous. A kid has one good 6 game tournament and suddenly he's the best goalie available :shakehead .

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
What you need to realize is people also include potential when scouting. Duby might be better right now yet wait a few years and Schwarz will excell past him // Some golies are amazing in lower leagues and can never get it in the NHL that might be a factor to i'm not to sure

leafaholix*

PDO said:
I like how neither of you offer any reasons.

Don't forget, Dubnyk is monstrous in the net.. in his butterfly there's still almost no room for anyone to put the puck. He's got size and talent, Schwarz.. well I guess he has some wins because he's on a better team? :dunno:

The hype on Schwarz is rediculous. A kid has one good 6 game tournament and suddenly he's the best goalie available :shakehead .
Dubnyk may be better right now, but talent-wise Schwarz is better.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Carl O'Steen said:
Dubnyk may be better right now, but talent-wise Schwarz is better.

What does that matter? How many people are gonna argue that Roy had HOF talent? Not a chance. He was reasonably talented but exception at positioning and big saves. And he was arguably the most effective goaltender ever!

Talent in goaltenders is only part of it. The rest is intelligence and determination. And that is where DD shines. Schwarz may be more talented, but DD is more effective.

IMHO of course :)

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Dubnyk is having an excellent season thus far and he has definitely outplayed both Schwarz and Montoya. I've said earlier that he looks like a Sean Burke type goaltender and that would be pretty darn good. I'm happy that he's not on a powerhouse Junior team and he's actually getting some shots against him this year.

I'd rather he have a .913 save percentage and face 40 tough shots a night than have a .950 save percentage and be able to breeze through games. I'm still not sure which of the "big three" goaltenders from last year's draft is going to be the best in the NHL but Dubnyk has definitely jumped ahead of the other two so far.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I really don't think something like this can be fairly compared with statistics. You can face 40 low percentage shots and have an excellent save % compared to a goalie who faces 20 shots in a high percentage area. That's not said to discredit Dubnyk, but in my opinion, it doesn't add credence to your argument.

I have only seen Montoya play, and that was 1 game on TV. So, I can't fairly assess any of them, let alone two that I've never seen before.

But I'll guess that most people on these boards rank Schwarz or Montoya higher than Dubnyk because they have probably seen more of the former two. That, and if I recall correctly, most scouts put a "high potential" label on Schwarz and Montoya.

If Dubnyk pans out to be the best goalie, though... good for Edmonton, and it would turn out to be a good draft (I was telling one of my buddies how I really wanted the Kings to grab Schremp... but I'm happy with the Tukonen pick). Time will only tell if, and when, all three make it to the NHL.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
You have to remember this is Schwarz first season in the smaller rink. Comparing his stats this season in the WHL isn't fair as this is an adjustment period for him both on and off ice. Next season you can compare the stats as he should have been able to settle to life and play in the WHL.
Also, Schwarz for the 2nd year was the best goalie at the WJC. That showed he hasn't lost anything since last season, if anything he was even better this year.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
dubnyk making team canada would have helped :p:

schwarz for me, i've seen him play enough now this year that he just looks like he has a higher level to him.. dubnyk i'll admit i haven't seen much this year, but i have seen lots of him of the past two years...

time will tell

Hordichuk_24

Schwarz needs to learn to play with a little consistancy. One game he can be the difference and flat out rob the other team of a win. The very next he can look like a mediocre goaltender at best. He has a ton of potential and is one of the most agile goaltenders I've seen in a long time.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
aspin said:
It still just baffles me how a lot of people on here still think Schwarz is better than Dubnyk.

It baffles me that Jeff Glass isn't considered one of the best goalies from last years draft. Personally I'm giving Schwarz one more year before I right him off.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i'd say it's too early to tell really. maybe let's wait till they all get to the AHL and then compare how they do. then they'll have several years of seasoning and experience and we'll have a better idea if they're going to reach their potential or not

not even a year after their draft year is too early IMO to definatively say who will be better and who will suck

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Levitate said:
i'd say it's too early to tell really. maybe let's wait till they all get to the AHL and then compare how they do. then they'll have several years of seasoning and experience and we'll have a better idea if they're going to reach their potential or not

not even a year after their draft year is too early IMO to definatively say who will be better and who will suck

That is very true and we will see how they develop.

One thing though - Dubnyk has absolutely put the Blazers on his back and carried them. Without him in net they are hopeless and the degree that he's carried that team as an 18 year old is VERY impressive. Most of Kamloops wins result from his play and even when they are getting slaughtered he keeps them in the game most nights. So it's not just his numbers (which are just OK) but the fact that he is the franchise player on a very poor team and he's dragging them into the playoffs pretty much on his own. Anything can happen before guys reach the NHL - but right now Dubnyk is having a much better 18 year old season than Schwarz or Montoya - and he's doing it under tougher conditions.

This story continues............

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
West said:
It baffles me that Jeff Glass isn't considered one of the best goalies from last years draft. Personally I'm giving Schwarz one more year before I right him off.

Tough to get a good read on Glass - plays on a dominant team that uses a stifling defensive system. He doesn't have the talent or the upside of the guys drafted ahead of him IMHO - but he's a very stable and consistent goalie right now - pretty much perfect for the system he plays in. A darn fine pick in the 3rd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad