Confirmed with Link: Dubnyk (50% retained) and a 2022 7th to San Jose for a 2022 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
I'm happy with this, ive always thought Dubnyk didn't have a great attitude, all the trades GMBG has made so far feel like he's trying to fix the 'culture.'

I have hope GMBG being a player that was a great locker room guy as well as a good player that has been on successful teams knows what guys we need to change that culture for the better.

Plus, it always looked like the team played better with Stalock in net, whether that's due to the players not trusting Stalock as much as Dubnyk or not liking Dubnyk im not sure.

If MAF does come over i think it will at least help the locker room, the guys got a great personality.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Better than a buyout.

How is it better than a buyout?

His cap hit for this year would have been 1.33 million and next season $.417 (rounding up generously to 500K). Instead we're now on the hook for 2.15 million this year. So, we gave up a 7th (who cares) for a 5th to take on 2.15 million this year instead of 1.33 million this year and .500 next season. I would have pushed a little harder for a 3rd with that retention.

I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter; because the Wild aren't spending to the cap, Dubnyk's value is low. But it just seems like an unnecessary trade that is just really, really dumb.

I guess that's Guerin's thing, making dumb trades for the sake of making dumb trades.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

His cap hit for this year would have been 1.33 million and next season $.417 (rounding up generously to 500K). Instead we're now on the hook for 2.15 million this year. So, we gave up a 7th (who cares) for a 5th to take on 2.15 million this year instead of 1.33 million this year and .500 next season. I would have pushed a little harder for a 3rd with that retention.

I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter; because the Wild aren't spending to the cap, Dubnyk's value is low. But it just seems like an unnecessary trade that is just really, really dumb.

I guess that's Guerin's thing, making dumb trades for the sake of making dumb trades.
A buyout would have been $2.66M this year.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

A buyout would have been $2.66M this year.
And 2021-22 cap space is going to be more valuable to us than 2020-21 cap space. That plus the pick swap make this an easy, if underwhelming, win.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
No, it was 1.3 million for this season and .416 for next season.

.416 doesn't exactly move the needle here; I mean if the Wild need the .416 million to make moves, they have bigger issues than buying out a contract.

As I said, this seemed so unnecessary. If it was an upgrade from a 7th to a 3rd or if Sharks were on the hook for his entire cap hit this season, it'd make sense.
Nope, you're looking at the 50% retained number. Full cost would have been $2.67M.

Change in goal: Wild send longtime No. 1 netminder Devan Dubnyk to San Jose
A buyout would have cost the Wild $1.67 million in cash spread over two years and a $2.67 million cap hit next season and $833,333 cap hit in 2021-22.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Possibility for a quick and successful rebuild is low, but if Wild manage to get a solid goaltending combo everything is possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad