TSN: dubas talks deadline & leaf prospects with duthie

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Based on the current market, it shouldn't cost a 1st round pick or top prospects to bolster the Leafs roster in the following areas of need if the players targeted are rentals:

Backup goaltender
Top 9 forward
Depth defenceman

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As if the north is a walk in the park. Campbell is running hot but history tells us that his play is unsustainable. Depending on who’s Toronto facing on R1 and R2 (if its Montreal and Winnipeg and they make it through), they might come in the semi really, really banged up.

I'm confident they make it through the North with what they have I'm not sure how much further they go

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Depth Defenseman
Left winger (top 9)
3rd line Center

Yes it is a tall order. I doubt Dubas will satisfy all 3. He might barely find a taker and cap space for 1 of these deficiencies.
- hows leafs 2nd for bernier and ryan both at 50% retained sound ?
- ide think dubas says hes all in for fans trade day excitment even if he already knows hes standing pat

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
- hows leafs 2nd for bernier and ryan both at 50% retained sound ?
- ide think dubas says hes all in for fans trade day excitment even if he already knows hes standing pat

I don't think he knows he's standing pat over a week out that's impossible

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
this hurt my soul to read, but trading Nylander for 2 rentals and a goalie sooooorta seems like a bad idea

Today I suggested:
TOR
Merzlikins (@ 50% Ret) – UFA 2022
Domi (@ 50% Ret) – UFA 2022
Foligno (@ 50% Ret) – UFA 2021
CBJ
Nylander
Kerfoot
Toronto may add: B prospect +?
I think both teams benefit.
Exchange results: good chances of winning the Stanley Cup, free money, best prospects”.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Today I suggested:
TOR
CBJ
Nylander
Kerfoot
Exchange results: good chances of winning the Stanley Cup, free money, best prospects”.

Stop teading core players

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Today I suggested:
TOR
CBJ
Nylander
Kerfoot
thats not terrible value wise i guess, but why would a contending team trade a young core piece for complimentary pieces? those are buyer-seller pieces where they are traded for futures.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Personally, I don't think Dubas would make a deal for a player like Mantha; simply because they don't have a way to afford him beyond this year (assuming they could afford him for this year). It would mean you're forced into trading William Nylander in the offseason.

That being said, as somebody who doesn't really like the "fit" of the big 4 together, I'd entertain the deal. I'd assume retention for Mantha would be off the table, but Bernier likely retained at 50% without issue... the two of them for Frederik Andersen, Alex Kerfoot, and futures. Leafs then trade Nylander in the offseason as they'll need to pick up a goalie.
Easy No from Wings. Anderson? Kerfoot? do nothing for us.

Futures? If you mean Sandin + late 1st/Robertson + Mikheyev, + UFA Cap Dump (exp. '21) ok, that might work.

Or

Mantha + Glendening/Ryan (either @50%) + Bernier (50%) for Nylander + Mikheyev.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
thats not terrible value wise i guess, but why would a contending team trade a young core piece for complimentary pieces? those are buyer-seller pieces where they are traded for futures.

The contender wouldn't do that the contender would add Nick Foligno for futures

Reactions: CatchyTune

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Shouldn't be too difficult.

Nemeth/Staal ?
Ryan (RHS bonus)
Glendening (NHL's best FO% again)

Glendening isn't even playing 3C on one of the worst teams in the league, come on. I don't care how good his FO% is, he's a 4th liner at best.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Personally, I don't think Dubas would make a deal for a player like Mantha; simply because they don't have a way to afford him beyond this year (assuming they could afford him for this year). It would mean you're forced into trading William Nylander in the offseason.

That being said, as somebody who doesn't really like the "fit" of the big 4 together, I'd entertain the deal. I'd assume retention for Mantha would be off the table, but Bernier likely retained at 50% without issue... the two of them for Frederik Andersen, Alex Kerfoot, and futures. Leafs then trade Nylander in the offseason as they'll need to pick up a goalie.

According to cap friendly the Leafs have 12.6 million in cap space following this season more than enough to find a goalie without trading Nylander.

Even if Hyman got 4 million you got 8.5 million to find a goalie and replace Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds and Bogosian.

That's EXTREMELY doable especially since Robertson in all likelihood already fills one spot.

Regardless moving a core piece is completely unnecessary

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I'm confident they make it through the North with what they have I'm not sure how much further they go

Leafs D corp is much better than last year but I’m still not sold on Toronto. All of 3 Montreal, Winnipeg and Edmonton are no easy team to beat either.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Glendening isn't even playing 3C on one of the worst teams in the league, come on. I don't care how good his FO% is, he's a 4th liner at best.
He played 3C quite a bit in recent years, even last season. He's really more a tweener. We're trying to develop Rasmussen, Svech, Smith etc & added Namestnikov. Plus Fabbri has played 2C well so far, for the majority of his gp. LGD will be a very good shutdown C on either L3/L4. With the TML top6F, he could slot in & shut 'em down from L3. While L4 is 8-10 energy/hit/score an occasional goal etc.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs D corp is much better than last year but I’m still not sold on Toronto. All of 3 Montreal, Winnipeg and Edmonton are no easy team to beat either.

Winnipeg scares me a little bit the other 2 not even close, they slaughtered Edmonton overall this year and they beat Montreal most times too.

Edmonton and Montreal are not on the same level

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
f*** if the Leafs traded Sandin for Tim Gleason and we win the cup and have to watch Sandin win 10 Norris' i wouldnt give a shit.

Similar situation 20+ years ago with Iginla for Nieuwendyk.
I dunno how I’d feel about it, but I doubt Sandin has that potential anyways. Also doubt anyone like Nieuwendyk is available. Lastly I feel the leafs are kinda grouped in with others. 1 player won’t make or break anything tbh

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
its all smoke and no fire from dubasss he is a lame duck with no stones, his team is too soft and yes they need a goalie maybe like gibson out of anaheim and a guy that can shoot the puck from the point, they keep trying to walk into the net with the puck and its not working how about get someone that can shoot the puck from the point on the power play and change it up, park someone right in front of the goalie, the power play used to be good but now that teams have figured them out they keep doing the same thing ove and over, i for one see reilly should not be on the power play he can't shoot the puck and is just aweful on his own end just useless, just park him on the bench and let him figure it out, well their you have on my take on this team for now, yes campbell looks good but your cringing every time he makes a save and is not going to get up. so i say get a good goalie and a dman that can shoot the puck, remember macabe a guy like him..enough

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Similar situation 20+ years ago with Iginla for Nieuwendyk.
I dunno how I’d feel about it, but I doubt Sandin has that potential anyways. Also doubt anyone like Nieuwendyk is available. Lastly I feel the leafs are kinda grouped in with others. 1 player won’t make or break anything tbh
yeah i dont want to trade Sandin. just making a joke. if the cup was guaranteed i'd throw him out the window, was my point.

Reactions: Leafs87

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kinda feel like they have already fallen off. they are not the top in their division currently in 4th
11 points behind 1st and 9 points behind 3rd
only 3 points ahead of 5th and 6th but they got games in hand. doesnt feel like they are the same elite team anymore.

Until they miss they are dangerous but I would LOVE to see them miss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad