TSN: dubas talks deadline & leaf prospects with duthie

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Better be Gibson coming back if he does.

I mean, if your pushing for a cup and don't have all your prospects and picks on the tabble you are doing it wrong. Sandin might turn out to be a #1 future Norris winner on another team (over exaggerated) but if he brings back what the Leafs need to win the cup (Not this year imo) then it's money well spent in my book.

Reactions: Beleafer34

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If any of the prospects in the A list or one of many of the prospects on the B list are being traded, it'll be for a player with term and not a pending UFA. Try and keep that in mind for your proposals.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I mean, if your pushing for a cup and don't have all your prospects and picks on the tabble you are doing it wrong. Sandin might turn out to be a #1 future Norris winner on another team (over exaggerated) but if he brings back what the Leafs need to win the cup (Not this year imo) then it's money well spent in my book.
f*** if the Leafs traded Sandin for Tim Gleason and we win the cup and have to watch Sandin win 10 Norris' i wouldnt give a shit.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If any of the prospects in the A list or one of many of the prospects on the B list are being traded, it'll be for a player with term and not a pending UFA. Try and keep that in mind for your proposals.

They don’t have cap room for long term players unless it’s an absolute fantastic steal of a contract.
He is full of poop and talking just to hear himself talk

Reactions: Prairie Habs

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
They don’t have cap room for long term players unless it’s an absolute fantastic steal of a contract.
He is full of poop and talking just to hear himself talk

Really? How much cap do they have moving forward?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
mantha and bernier could help leafs . detroit could take back a short term bad contract or two

Personally, I don't think Dubas would make a deal for a player like Mantha; simply because they don't have a way to afford him beyond this year (assuming they could afford him for this year). It would mean you're forced into trading William Nylander in the offseason.

That being said, as somebody who doesn't really like the "fit" of the big 4 together, I'd entertain the deal. I'd assume retention for Mantha would be off the table, but Bernier likely retained at 50% without issue... the two of them for Frederik Andersen, Alex Kerfoot, and futures. Leafs then trade Nylander in the offseason as they'll need to pick up a goalie.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Trading prospects with the kinds of positive indicators that Robertson, Sandin and Liljegren have for rental players improves your chances of winning a cup this year, but significantly reduces your chances of winning a cup overall. The blueprint for winning cups is to be good for a long time, not really good for a few months.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Trading prospects with the kinds of positive indicators that Robertson, Sandin and Liljegren have for rental players improves your chances of winning a cup this year, but significantly reduces your chances of winning a cup overall. The blueprint for winning cups is t be good for a long time, not really good for a few months.

Nobody is saying trade Sandin, Robertson, Amirov, those are Grade A prospects but you can't horde everybody forever there comes a point where it's go for it time and the Leafs are at that point.

It's go for it time.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Personally, I don't think Dubas would make a deal for a player like Mantha; simply because they don't have a way to afford him beyond this year (assuming they could afford him for this year). It would mean you're forced into trading William Nylander in the offseason.

That being said, as somebody who doesn't really like the "fit" of the big 4 together, I'd entertain the deal. I'd assume retention for Mantha would be off the table, but Bernier likely retained at 50% without issue... the two of them for Frederik Andersen, Alex Kerfoot, and futures. Leafs then trade Nylander in the offseason as they'll need to pick up a goalie.

that s going to be some quality futures, Andersen is a cap dump, I don t see TOR trading Kerfoot, guy offers flexibiliy to your forward group but they may have to to clear space.

Bernier at 50 per cent has value, Mantha has value (not less than Zucker who was traded for 1st +B prospect). Assuming Mantha is worth 1st + Liljegren / Sandin type prospect, Bernier standalone’s value at 50 per cent should be around 2nd + 4th (see Lehner deal at a small discount), taking Andersen for the rest of the season may make that 2nd +4th into a first.

Maybe to make the cap work you find Chicago to retain 50 per cent from Bernier at a cost of a 6th rounder, and I wonder if you can do a trade back agreement with retention, like for a 4th CHI takes 50 per cent of Hyman, is that allowed ?

well overall in this scenario, there are no more picks in the draft for the leafs so they d better get the job done :D

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Nobody is saying trade Sandin, Robertson, Amirov, those are Grade A prospects but you can't horde everybody forever there comes a point where it's go for it time and the Leafs are at that point.

It's go for it time.
We're already going for it, this is a first place team without augmenting it and despite mediocre goaltending (on the whole, Campbell has been great).

I'm also not saying dont trade any future away, just need to keep perspective - Pittsburgh and Chicago are still in the same compete windows that started in the mid 2000's, we're built for the same kind of long contention window and we'll need cheap replacements along the way.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I expect lots of smoke and no fire, but we'll see.
With the Leafs and the media there will be a lot of smoke, and if the prices on this board have any basis in reality(doubtful) there will obviously be little action, and for good reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->