Dubas meets Nikita Nestorov & Mikhail Grigorenko in Russia

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dubass is slowly and slowly killing this team with his management.

None of his moves are determinental alone , but when you start adding them up you can see how horrible he is. First the contracts he's given out, trading a heart and soul guy like Kadri away, not addressing our backup goalie situation etc

You consider signing free agents to league minimum contracts to be "detrimental"?

Reactions: Jeypic

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Please someone enlighten me on Kyle Dubas' end game here.

Thanks

Guy who can cheaply slot into a top 9 immediately and replace a more expensive guy. Only 25 with some upside. Has some size even though he doesn't really use it.

Probably the same end game as with Mikheyev, except with a playmaker instead of an industrious two-way guy.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Any particular reason?

Khl guys aren't exactly making top dollar..and the draw of getting icetime on a good NHL team can be a major pull.

Radulov made 5.75 from MTL for one year after he came over. Kovalchuk made 6.75 x 3. Both were a bit older and far more prolific in the KHL than Grigorenko has been, but the guy will likely not sign for league minimum despite being affordable for the Leafs.

We would be an excellent stepping stone like Montreal was for Radulov. TBH, I'm totally fine with that as long as he gives us a 50-60 point season for cheap first.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Radulov made 5.75 from MTL for one year after he came over. Kovalchuk made 6.75 x 3. Both were a bit older and far more prolific in the KHL than Grigorenko has been, but the guy will likely not sign for league minimum despite being affordable for the Leafs.

We would be an excellent stepping stone like Montreal was for Radulov. TBH, I'm totally fine with that as long as he gives us a 50-60 point season for cheap first.

Those other guys were already established nhlers in their younger days (I mean Kovalchuk was a top 2 winger in his prime), so they could command that level of money. Not exactly the case for a guy Grigorenko. Who if he wants to play on an NHL team isnt going to get more tha 700k-1mil. And the Leafs likely only have interest at the cheaper number.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015

Trade Kapanen for a decent 4-5 dman and solid backup, sign one of these guys for like 2-2.5m or cheaper. Boom 2 needs addressed and sold and replaced Kap while he has some value.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Both those guys were point per game PLUS players almost every single year of their careers. Apart from last year, Grig never topped 27 points. Very few KHL guys make $1M.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
I hereby nominate Marner. He can take his greedy sorry ass to Seattle. Hope he takes his chump of a Father with him.
True some fans unhappy with the way the contract negotiations went. However I do remember Mitch made the decision to end the stalemate to be with his team mates to start the season. His contract will look like a bargain eventually and it won't be long before he starts filling the net. That said, it is more likely older players with big contracts will be exposed this time around for the NHL expansion draft league wide. No chance of Vegas 2.o for Seattle's expansion team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->