Eklund Rumor: Dubas interested in Gudas

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Well as Flyers fans, we don't think Gudas would get traded for middling picks nor deserves to. We think he's at least a few 2nds, or a 1st.

But the reason why he's even open for trade is because we have a logjam on our defense. Phil Myers needs to play and Samuel Morin needs to play when he's healthy. We have Provy, Sanheim, Ghost and (unfortunately) McDonald guaranteed next year. Myers needs to make the jump to top 4 NHL minutes but he isn't going to get those over Provy, San or Ghost --- he could get them if Gudas is gone though.

Basically, we just have a ton of good prospects to play and Gudas has value so he's the logical choice to move while we have a surplus.

a bottom pair D that has some toughness and hits for a FEW seconds/1st?

yikes

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Gudas is signed for another season after this one. I don't think Toronto can afford to add another 3.35 million under the cap next season. Gudas makes no sense for Toronto.

this is true

this only works if

A) they take zaitsev
B) they retain like half (and the deal gets bumped to a 2nd + better prospect...Rasanen pehaps

Reactions: zaqq

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
As a poster stated above, Gudas with term is more than that. It usually depends what people consider to be a B level prospect. A lot of people on here have really wacky rankings of prospects, but B is a decent level prospect.

Most have said a 2nd + 3rd is fine. However, what that B prospect is... makes it breaks that deal. If it’s a lowly prospect, the 2nd + 3rd is fair.

He’s somewhat of a fan favorite, but with the likes of Hagg and MacDonald still in the lineup, I highly doubt the Flyers unload their most consistent Dman this year. The best time to trade Gudas is next year when Morin is healthy.
Blue chip prospect
Elite prospect
A prospect
B prospect. :laugh:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Blue chip prospect
Elite prospect
A prospect
B prospect. :laugh:
No shit... but levels are usually more complex than that. It doesn’t need to be more complex that it has to be, but people are like X was drafted 17th... he’s an A prospect. That’s rarely the case.

Blue Chip is used wildly wrong nowadays. I’ll do the flyers, one of the deepest and best farms in the league and some young NHLers:

Blue chip (A+) -> Usually a franchise player. They’re irreplaceable and standout across the draft. Usually a Captain level talent and leader. First liner or #1D that has a floor of a T4 Dman or T6 forward.

A -> Top level talent. T2 Dman or a 1st Line winter that would be a 2A given they played on the second line. Their floor could be a #4Dman or a high end M6 player. These players are good core pieces.

A- -> T4 Dman that most likely ends up as a #3/4 or a M6 forward that has enough upside to reach the 2nd line. A good complementary player, but isn’t irreplaceable. Can be used to complete or round out the core. Their floor - ceiling spread is higher than most like to admit due to sentimentality. Their floor is usually disappointing due to the hype they get.

B+ -> The most commonly overhyped prospect. Above average and has upside, just not what most tout them to be. Their upside in Jr or the AHL is usually what drives this overhype, but they’re still good prospects. Usually end up as a 3A/B | M6 forward and floor becomes B6 or higher end B6, but still a bottom 6 forward. For a Dman their upside is typically a #4, but would usually be a #4/5. Not much of a spread there. Floor is a bottom pairing Dman.

B -> The average archetype prospect. Non-deep prospect teams have most of their prospects in this range. Forwards have the upside of M6 as a 3rd liner. Maybe a checking forward or a role forward, but may be best suited on the 4th line. Dmen are usually a bottom pairing Dman... 5/6. Floor is a 7th Dman. B level prospects have a floor that is a borderline NHL player, but B level prospects have NHL talent.

B- -> Very meh. Usually overhyped B level prospects are here. 4th Line archetypes or #6 Dmen. Floor is in the AHL. Not a lot to build on here. On a decent team, they’d be in the AHL due to roster crunch.

C -> Not much NHL talent. Replacement level talent. You’re AHL player.

——————————————

Blue Chip: Never had one

A: Ivan Provorov, Carter Hart, Nolan Patrick?

A-: Travis Sanheim, Travis Konecny, Joel Farabee, Jay O’Brien, Phil Myers, Morgan Frost

B+: Oskar Lindblom, Wade Allison, Issac Ratcliffe, Tanner Laczynski, Fleix Sandstrom?

B: Samuel Errson, Sam Morin, German Rubtsov, Robert Hagg, Yegor Zamula, Wyatt Wylie, Wyatt Kalynuk, Mark Friedman, Mikhail Vorobyev, Adam Ginning, Matthew Strome, Ivan Fedotov, Nicolas Aube-Kubel?, Linus Hogberg?

B-: Noah Cates, Mike Vecchione, Olle Lycksell, Jack St. Ivany, Pascal Laberge, Cole Bardeau, Connor Bunnaman, Carsen Twarynski, Kirill Ustinenko

C: Jacob Graves, Tyrell Goulbourne, Gavin Hain, Malkin Sushko, David Bernhardt, Reece Wilcox, Brendan Warren, and basically the AHL team/vets.

**B level prospects are usually the ones that can see NHL time. They’re prospects though. Just because they were drafted in the top 25 doesn’t mean they’re automatically an A or even a B+. A lot of people on here automatically assume that. These are my rankings and I think it’s fairly accurate. We have a couple of first round picks as a B (one in the top 15) and a couple of 2nd rounders inside the top 50.

The leafs don’t have an A level prospect. They have some A- which isn’t anything gawk at. If you include Marner, Nylander, and Matthews in this... week then yes you have some A’s and A+/Bluechips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruck Over

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Similar cap would be going the other way I suspect.

Sending salary back means a roster player. What player off the roster would Toronto be happy to give up? None that I can see, aside from Zaitsev.

Sending Zaitsev the other way would be a major component to a trade, not just a throw in to make the numbers work. So now it's a whole different deal, with the Leafs paying way more. Not to mention it would leave Toronto with the same number of righty defencemen as they have now.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Not sure why my fellow leafs fans keep dumping the Zaitsev contract down everyone's throat.

But I would definitely be interested in Gudas.

Is Connor Brown and Pick fair for Gudas?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Right, and a prune is decidedly not the same as a rancid burrito but that doesn't really matter when both result in liquid farts. The Leafs don't need either player stinking up the joint, your irrelevant fancy stat be damned.
You haven't seen Gudas this year, have you?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Not sure why my fellow leafs fans keep dumping the Zaitsev contract down everyone's throat.

But I would definitely be interested in Gudas.

Is Connor Brown and Pick fair for Gudas?
Money would need to be moved out to fit Gudas in. Zaitsev is the obvious pick.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
No ****... but levels are usually more complex than that. It doesn’t need to be more complex that it has to be, but people are like X was drafted 17th... he’s an A prospect. That’s rarely the case.

Blue Chip is used wildly wrong nowadays. I’ll do the flyers, one of the deepest and best farms in the league and some young NHLers:

Blue chip (A+) -> Usually a franchise player. They’re irreplaceable and standout across the draft. Usually a Captain level talent and leader. First liner or #1D that has a floor of a T4 Dman or T6 forward.

A -> Top level talent. T2 Dman or a 1st Line winter that would be a 2A given they played on the second line. Their floor could be a #4Dman or a high end M6 player. These players are good core pieces.

A- -> T4 Dman that most likely ends up as a #3/4 or a M6 forward that has enough upside to reach the 2nd line. A good complementary player, but isn’t irreplaceable. Can be used to complete or round out the core. Their floor - ceiling spread is higher than most like to admit due to sentimentality. Their floor is usually disappointing due to the hype they get.

B+ -> The most commonly overhyped prospect. Above average and has upside, just not what most tout them to be. Their upside in Jr or the AHL is usually what drives this overhype, but they’re still good prospects. Usually end up as a 3A/B | M6 forward and floor becomes B6 or higher end B6, but still a bottom 6 forward. For a Dman their upside is typically a #4, but would usually be a #4/5. Not much of a spread there. Floor is a bottom pairing Dman.

B -> The average archetype prospect. Non-deep prospect teams have most of their prospects in this range. Forwards have the upside of M6 as a 3rd liner. Maybe a checking forward or a role forward, but may be best suited on the 4th line. Dmen are usually a bottom pairing Dman... 5/6. Floor is a 7th Dman. B level prospects have a floor that is a borderline NHL player, but B level prospects have NHL talent.

B- -> Very meh. Usually overhyped B level prospects are here. 4th Line archetypes or #6 Dmen. Floor is in the AHL. Not a lot to build on here. On a decent team, they’d be in the AHL due to roster crunch.

C -> Not much NHL talent. Replacement level talent. You’re AHL player.

——————————————

Blue Chip: Never had one

A: Ivan Provorov, Carter Hart, Nolan Patrick?

A-: Travis Sanheim, Travis Konecny, Joel Farabee, Jay O’Brien, Phil Myers, Morgan Frost

B+: Oskar Lindblom, Wade Allison, Issac Ratcliffe, Tanner Laczynski, Fleix Sandstrom?

B: Samuel Errson, Sam Morin, German Rubtsov, Robert Hagg, Yegor Zamula, Wyatt Wylie, Wyatt Kalynuk, Mark Friedman, Mikhail Vorobyev, Adam Ginning, Matthew Strome, Ivan Fedotov, Nicolas Aube-Kubel?, Linus Hogberg?

B-: Noah Cates, Mike Vecchione, Olle Lycksell, Jack St. Ivany, Pascal Laberge, Cole Bardeau, Connor Bunnaman, Carsen Twarynski, Kirill Ustinenko

C: Jacob Graves, Tyrell Goulbourne, Gavin Hain, Malkin Sushko, David Bernhardt, Reece Wilcox, Brendan Warren, and basically the AHL team/vets.

**B level prospects are usually the ones that can see NHL time. They’re prospects though. Just because they were drafted in the top 25 doesn’t mean they’re automatically an A or even a B+. A lot of people on here automatically assume that. These are my rankings and I think it’s fairly accurate. We have a couple of first round picks as a B (one in the top 15) and a couple of 2nd rounders inside the top 50.

The leafs don’t have an A level prospect. They have some A- which isn’t anything gawk at. If you include Marner, Nylander, and Matthews in this... week then yes you have some A’s and A+/Bluechips.
I was just joking.

I really enjoyed the read though!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm pretty sure anyone associated with the Maple Leafs are interested in Radko Gudas.

Whether we acquire him or not is another story.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Actually, if Marleau would waive...that would be the more obvious one....only 1 more year (instead of Zaitsev'e term) and very little in actual cash.
Marleau would be more obvious if he didnt have the clause. You have to assume hes not going anywhere.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
How high is that pick?
2019 3rd if you add a 2019 5th/6th
2019 4th straight up?

Marleau would be more obvious if he didnt have the clause. You have to assume hes not going anywhere.
If we can somehow win the cup this year, I dont think Marleau will mind very much

Dang, we forgot to apply the hfboards Leafs tax!

Kapanen/AJ + 2nd
Or
Nylander (retained)
Or
Sandin/Lily + 2020 1st

this kills me.
i love it.
i think we finally agree on something brock

Reactions: Brock Radunske

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Well, considering most Flyers fans want like two 2nds for him. . . more. You under that we are talking about a very tough 2nd pairing defenseman signed through the end of next season at a very fair deal, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->