Eklund Rumor: Dubas interested in Gudas

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I'm not saying they'll play those minutes right away -- I'm saying they'll need to play them eventually (either at the tail end of this season or next season) and Gudas being on the roster is in the way of that. Myers and Morin aren't scrubs -- they can handle minutes (as long as their bodies hold up, MORIN!)

Sanheim was an unproven rookie earlier this year -- didn't look like a white flag to me when he was called up. He was called up because he was ready to make the jump just like Myers for sure is and Morin maybe is.

I feel it's more MacDonald and Hagg that are blocking the way for Myers and Morin to play. Having the defense pair that mja posted is the best possible situation for the Flyers to finish out this season. Scott Gordon has been fairly good about getting the 2nd and 3rd defense pairs similar TOI per game. Plus Gudas has been our most consistent defensemen this year. There is really no need to trade him unless we are getting ridiculously good value for him. Sanheim played in 49 games last year + playoff games. So he had a taste of NHL play (even if he was misused by Hackstol)

Reactions: mja and Larry44

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It's not just physical spaces on a roster -- it's about TOI. Those guys (all of them) need to be able to get significant ice time and with Gudas there they won't get what they should.

Not right away they don't. This is a YOUNG defense after A-Mac is gone, so having a vet like Radko, especially a guy who grades out well and is right-handed to boot, makes a lot of sense. I'm fine with lower TOI for Myers and Morin - especially Morin - for the time being. There's no urgency to trade Gudas, and just in general trading good right-handed D isn't a terribly sound idea anyhow.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Philly fans scoff at it but I haven't seen many teams offering better than Brown + 2nd

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Philly fans scoff at it but I haven't seen many teams offering better than Brown + 2nd

It doesn't move the needle. Is Brown & a (late) 2nd more valuable than having an affordable top 4 RHD (and btw he's the only RHD on the roster that's actually played an NHL game) on what is probably the youngest D in the league?

Reactions: captainpaxil

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
It doesn't move the needle. Is Brown & a (late) 2nd more valuable than having an affordable top 4 RHD (and btw he's the only RHD on the roster that's actually played an NHL game) on what is probably the youngest D in the league?
That's up to Philly to decide, I suppose.
If the offers don't move the needle for them, they should keep him.

That being said, I'd be surprised if any team blew them away for Gudas.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Gudas is signed for another season after this one. I don't think Toronto can afford to add another 3.35 million under the cap next season. Gudas makes no sense for Toronto.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Gudas is signed for another season after this one. I don't think Toronto can afford to add another 3.35 million under the cap next season. Gudas makes no sense for Toronto.
Similar cap would be going the other way I suspect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad