Dubas calls signing Marner signing Marner "priority one"; "imperative" it happens before July 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Dubas knows he needs to get this right.

I am optimistic because of how he handled the presser today; taking the blame for the nylander contract, acknowledging what he could have done differently, and always thinking of how to improve.

I am sure Kyle will learn from that and deliver on a fair contract for Marner.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Agree with this, real important negotiation here. Glad to see it's a top priority.

Gotta say though, i'll be extremely pissed if he signs for $10 mil+ and I get to watch Point/Rantanen sign for less. Actually pissed would be an understatement.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
not holding out much hope he does any better this time around then he did with Nylander/Mathews.
Nylander deal is not good, however, Matthews deal seems pretty close to market value. Not sure you should group that one as a disappointment.

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
12x8 if they want it done by July1, because offers of 11x7 from better teams are in the hip pocket.

Confirmed now he’s asking for more than Matthews... and he’s worth the compensation so you have no choice but to give him what he wants, for all intents and purposes he’s a UFA.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Nylander deal is not good, however, Matthews deal seems pretty close to market value. Not sure you should group that one as a disappointment.
6.9 is also market value for Nylander.

That said, Dubas does have to get the marner deal right, both on term and dollar.

Really hope 10x8 is enough to entice marner. He'll be the highest paid RFA winger for a couple years.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Hopefully it's easy to get him signed given that he was -4, had 1 ES point, 1 shot in the last 3 games, miserable PK/PP, etc. this past series.

Although given the intangibles he brings with his youthful exuberance I'm sure everyone will demand Matthews++.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hopefully it's easy to get him signed given that he was -4, had 1 ES point, 1 shot in the last 3 games, miserable PK/PP, etc. this past series.

Although given the intangibles he brings with his youthful exuberance I'm sure everyone will demand Matthews++.
His recent performance in the playoffs should be taken into account. However Marner still got 94 points in the regular season and that can not be ignored.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
12x8 if they want it done by July1, because offers of 11x7 from better teams are in the hip pocket.

Confirmed now he’s asking for more than Matthews... and he’s worth the compensation so you have no choice but to give him what he wants, for all intents and purposes he’s a UFA.
Why would he ask for more than Matthews when he's the worse player between the 2? One plays with a franchise C, the other plays with 2 middle 6 wingers.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
not holding out much hope he does any better this time around then he did with Nylander/Mathews.
It was a lost cause the moment he allowed Nylander to bamboozle him. That good contract horse ran away when Nylander flung the barn door wide open and it broke right off the hinges.

I expect even the secondary support players, that chipped in more than Nylander, will expect HUGE OVERPAYMENTS NOW TOO.

This team will now likely lose it's depth due to cap constraints. We may even see the pain of once again becoming a bubble team that has difficulty even making the playoffs, never mind making it through to round 2. The Muskoka five scenerio might be on the verge of rearing it's ugly head once again, this time with younger members.

Reactions: rumman

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It was a lost cause the moment he allowed Nylander to bamboozle him. That good contract horse ran away when Nylander flung the barn door wide open and it broke right off the hinges.

I expect even the secondary support players, that chipped in more than Nylander, will expect HUGE OVERPAYMENTS NOW TOO.

This team will now likely lose it's depth due to cap constraints. We may even see the pain of once again becoming a bubble team that has difficulty even making the playoffs, never mind making it through to round 2. The Muskoka five scenerio might be on the verge of rearing it's ugly head once again, this time with younger members.
Since Brendan Shanahan is still the one in charge I honestly don't see a "Muskoka Five" scenario happening again with him being the Leafs President. If anything things like that have stopped once he was hired and he changed the culture for the good.

Reactions: Eric bungay

KPower

Jan 17, 2012

Hi Paul

Reactions: Tall Morty

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's pasta, Ehlers, and other contracts + inflation.

It's literally market value.
Since there are other RFA's like Point and Rantanen for example, let's hope that Marner signs first before they do and not have either of them set the RFA market.

Now some people might say the market was set when Matthews signed his extension, so I guess its how you want to look at that.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is the one that decides it.

Nylander signed for the upper limit of fair....
Matthews signed for 13.5-14% of the cap.... There is no market for the best goal scoring center in the league to compare to.

Marner is a fantastic winger.... But his scoring has been 38th, 38th, 11th..... 94 pts is great, but he didnt make the top 10. Thats it.

Matthews is our best goal scorer, our best player. Marner can't expect the same value. If he gets it, then Dubas overpaid. If he does, I mean, we don't cry about it (well ONE guy will).... But then Dubas will be a failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->