Dual Monitors

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I have two monitors, both are exactly the same and I want to connect them.

Do you need 2 video cards for that?

I did a quick Google search and watched a YouTube video that just said I need a VGA adapater/connector. The cords on my monitor are on an angle. That's very vague, so if it doesn't kick up an idea, I'll take a picture of it.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
You need a video card that is capable of running dual monitors, which most modern GPUs should have. Depending on the monitor and GPU, you could use VGA, DVI, or HDMI connectors to plug it in. You can see the difference below:

EDID-Connector-VGA-DVI-HDMI-Mini-DP-Displayport-Virtual-Display-Dummy-Adapter-plug-EDID-headless-2560.jpg

Check on your GPU and your monitor and see what connections are available and then buy a suitable cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: SniperHF

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
I'm getting triple screens in a couple months for iRacing.
I'm also upgrading my graphics card.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You need a video card that is capable of running dual monitors, which most modern GPUs should have. Depending on the monitor and GPU, you could use VGA, DVI, or HDMI connectors to plug it in. You can see the difference below:

EDID-Connector-VGA-DVI-HDMI-Mini-DP-Displayport-Virtual-Display-Dummy-Adapter-plug-EDID-headless-2560.jpg

Check on your GPU and your monitor and see what connections are available and then buy a suitable cable.

Looks like I have the DP.

I don't see it on the sticker for my computer, so I'll have to view the GPU on the computer itself?

Attachments

• 20200310_161645.jpg
    20200310_161645.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200310_161546.jpg
    20200310_161546.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200310_161619.jpg
    20200310_161619.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 13

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I just need an adapter for it ?

What is your monitor's model? There are very few monitors out there that aren't like office style monitors that do not support any type of HDMI or DVI natively. So you probably don't need an adapter if your monitor already has an HDMI port, just an HDMI cable to go from the card to the monitor.

If your monitor is display port only, then yeah you'll need an adapter. I would choose Display port to HDMI over something involving the DVI if it has to be an adapter.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
What is your monitor's model? There are very few monitors out there that aren't like office style monitors that do not support any type of HDMI or DVI natively. So you probably don't need an adapter if your monitor already has an HDMI port, just an HDMI cable to go from the card to the monitor.

If your monitor is display port only, then yeah you'll need an adapter. I would choose Display port to HDMI over something involving the DVI if it has to be an adapter.

Not sure on type, but it has a DVI port and a port that looks similar, but it's longer. The tower doesn't have the DVI port, but a longer looking port.

So, I just need an adapter I believe.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Probably not going to help but I run three monitors off a surface and they make an adapter to handle all the peripherals. Each monitor needs it's own DVI splitter though which is strange because they are able to handle multiple connections, but it works.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
So, I have a DP to Hdmi (DP in montior, HDMI to tower) and an adapter (plugged into monitor, then an HDMI cable attached to the adapter and then plugged into the tower) and neither seem to work.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So, I have a DP to Hdmi (DP in montior, HDMI to tower) and an adapter (plugged into monitor, then an HDMI cable attached to the adapter and then plugged into the tower) and neither seem to work.

Both of those are for going from DisplayPort to HDMI. You're going from HDMI to DisplayPort.

Here's an article that explains why the difference is important: DisplayPort to HDMI conversion: should I use an active or a passive adapter? - News

The short of it is that your computer can output an HDMI signal via its DisplayPort, but not a DisplayPort signal via its HDMI port. The adapter/cable, therefore, has to do that conversion, itself, which means that it has to be "active" (and, thus, powered). That makes it more expensive than the adapters for going the other way, which need only be "passive."

The cheapest HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter that I've found on Amazon is about $25 US:
Whichever adapter you pick and wherever you get it, though, make sure that it explicitly says "HDMI to DisplayPort" (NOT "DisplayPort to HDMI," which is much more common, much cheaper and what you already have).

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Both of those are for going from DisplayPort to HDMI. You're going from HDMI to DisplayPort.

Here's an article that explains why the difference is important: DisplayPort to HDMI conversion: should I use an active or a passive adapter? - News

The short of it is that your computer can output an HDMI signal via its DisplayPort, but not a DisplayPort signal via its HDMI port. The adapter/cable, therefore, has to do that conversion, itself, which means that it has to be "active" (and, thus, powered). That makes it more expensive than the adapters for going the other way, which need only be "passive."

The cheapest HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter that I've found on Amazon is about $25 US:
Whichever adapter you pick and wherever you get it, though, make sure that it explicitly says "HDMI to DisplayPort" (NOT "DisplayPort to HDMI," which is much more common, much cheaper and what you already have).

Alright I'll try this and get back if I'm successful.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

This worked, same one in the quote. I hooked my stereo up to have sound come out of those speakers and it's gone now, but I'm sure it's an easy fix, or just get regular computer speakers.

EDIT: Because of the new monitor the default speaker resorted back to the monitor, but was cancelled out by the connected stereo. Changed it back to the stereo default and everything works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad