Confirmed with Link: DSP returns-1 year deal x 1 million

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Good point by hockeykicker on the Nj buyout salary still being paid.

It is a hometown discount, but I am not so sure it’s that much of one as some here think. Sounds like he only had 2 other offers. I haven’t seen the dollars, but they were 1 and 2 year deals.

Clutch goals in the playoffs have caps fans over valuing him a bit.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love the guy.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Good point by hockeykicker on the Nj buyout salary still being paid.

It is a hometown discount, but I am not so sure it’s that much of one as some here think. Sounds like he only had 2 other offers. I haven’t seen the dollars, but they were 1 and 2 year deals.

Clutch goals in the playoffs have caps fans over valuing him a bit.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love the guy.

I do think there's some recency bias here. He's a solid player, and maybe the playoffs were his breakout but I think other teams were understandably worried it wasn't and he reverts back to the mean in 18-19. The one year deal isn't bad for him. He gets a chance to repeat with the Caps, and if he continues to play really well will set himself up for his big payday. He's young

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I do think there's some recency bias here. He's a solid player, and maybe the playoffs were his breakout but I think other teams were understandably worried it wasn't and he reverts back to the mean in 18-19. The one year deal isn't bad for him. He gets a chance to repeat with the Caps, and if he continues to play really well will set himself up for his big payday. He's young
As previously noted, he has a track record of strong playoff performances before this year, both in junior and with the Ducks. But he’s never had much in the RS. Any team that signed him, including the Caps would be paying for that post-season knack. Here’s hoping it continues.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

Exactly, he's only 26, he has a scoring touch, he's a big guy and he goes to the net. He could have a Knuble/Ward-like second half of his career.

So not only is there the playoff god factor, but he still has some potential upside IMO.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He was probably finalizing the deal, as some of us were watching John Druce last night, still lighting it up in June.

DSP won our annual John Druce Surprise Playoff Goal Scoring Perseverance something award.

I still think Hornqvist's usual antics (namely scoring goals and abusing our D in front) vanished after butting heads with DSP. Pitt caved right with him, as basically their only actual tough player.

I don't know who did better, DSP in the loffs, or BMac not qualifying him but then getting him back for a buck.
1*ExFQoZ4eEgZmkXT-fqXeFw.jpeg

Last edited:

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Really cool deal. Thought it would take 1,5 or even more to keep him.

So 12,2 to keep Willy, Kempster, 2GK and ”Bowey”, and to bring back Orpik or a replacement. Looking good. Starting to look like maybe BM is actually able to fit Beags there aswell?

Edit. Thinking a little ahead. Keeping Beags isnt that easy.. next summer is going to be harder than this one. Vrana, Burakovsky, Stephenson and Djoos all looking at decent raises. Connolly (and dsp) as UFA too. Dont think the cap is coming up, atleast by much, either. But obviously you keep him for a year if you can and figure out a trade for next summer if it comes to that. For sure this is the last year Bura has to break it.

Theres really no help coming out of ending contracts either. Basicly all cheap contracts runs out and no big contracts ending. Tough spot and cap casualties will be needed.

And then i remember again that we just won the cup. Who cares about summer 19, lol.

Last edited:

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
DSP is taking a discount and risk.
If he can proove in a familiar setting that he is not a 1 hit wonder he will get better offers next year.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
As previously noted, he has a track record of strong playoff performances before this year, both in junior and with the Ducks. But he’s never had much in the RS. Any team that signed him, including the Caps would be paying for that post-season knack. Here’s hoping it continues.

Ok, well if that's the expectation why do people think he could've gotten a big payday somewhere else? Teams don't pay big money for guys who are ho hum for 82 games and then only step it up in the playoffs. He probably took a slight hometown discount but doesn't sound like he left a ton of money on the table. If he proves he can play really well for 82 games, he will get paid, so a 1 yr deal is probably wise.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think DSP is taking a big risk. I can see the youth movement continuing, unless we foresee one of the kids being our 13. I predict DSP will not get into as many games as he thinks he will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad