Confirmed with Link: DSP returns-1 year deal x 1 million

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Extremely mixed feelings on this. It's a good signing for sure but I hate when guys take huge discounts for the team. Your career is short, go make money.

DSP is 26 he has time to make his money AFTER he proves he can produce.

He scored big huge large goals for the Caps and we all love him for it but the man had 16 points last season, and 8 points in the post-season, that is, let me get my calculator out, 24 points total in 99 games played. Caps gave him a fair deal here.

Reactions: 32hunter

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What!!!!????!!! I want what is best the Caps and this deal is it.

This is DSP's prove it year, if he plays well he gets paid, either by the Caps or someone else next season. For the record DSP is still getting 250k from the Devils next season, so he won't starve.

If BMac gets Kempny signed he will have officially won the post-season!

I want what’s best for the Caps but I really like DSP and want what’s best for him too. If he decides playing in Washington is more important than a bigger payday elsewhere then more power to him. I just hope he doesn’t regret not taking more money.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Really happy he is back, seems like a great guy.

I hope he has a big season and gets a big contract after this.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
For those worrying (not unreasonably) about whether DSP should have seize this unique opportunity to grab the biggest paycheck somewhere else, I think you have to take into account the tough times this guy has had in the league. He's bounced around. He's been cut. He's been non-tendered. He's been demoted. He's been bought-out. It can't have been easy. He's a hockey player. I have to imagine that he just wants to play. He wants to have a home. He doesn't want to be a healthy scratch every night, or end up in the AHL, or become the target of fan angst when he doesn't live up to an inflated UFA price tag. There's value in happiness and feeling valued by the guys in the locker room and the fans in the stands. Plus, I'm guessing he feels like he's finally established a legit role on a talented 3rd line of a good hockey team that he can produce better numbers and earn a better contract next year. So, yes, it's a risk, but he's betting on himself.

I'm really happy he's back. He deserves to soak in the adulation next season. And from the team perspective, the price is definitely right.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
DSP is 26 he has time to make his money AFTER he proves he can produce.

He scored big huge large goals for the Caps and we all love him for it but the man had 16 points last season, and 8 points in the post-season, that is, let me get my calculator out, 24 points total in 99 games played. Caps gave him a fair deal here.

8 points is a bit disengenuous seeing how 7 were goals.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Amazingly good deal for us.

I’ll be honest, the only way this deal happens is if he’s spoken to the coach... just announce it.

This is clearly true. In order to take a discount like this on a show-me deal, he would have had to have at least had a conversation in which he was given some assurances about a chance to keep his same role in the same system.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
Easily my favorite role player of all time. He is exactly the type of clutch goal scorer from the bottom six that we’ve always needed and always complained we didn’t have. He’s the definition of a playoff warrior. Go check out his playoffs with Anaheim. So pumped we were able to re-sign him and definitely telling him Thank You and buying him a beer if I ever see him out in DC.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
I’ll always side with the player getting more money but dammit it feels good knowing how bad he wanted to stay here

He’s a legend in this city and is such an important figure for this team for a huge demographic in the city.

I love this

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I'm happy. The hometown discount. And I'm glad to see that it was done quickly, before the others. So now maybe Kempny will think the same way as DSP, and take a discount.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad