Confirmed with Link: DRW Trades for Marc Staal

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Also a player you likely don't care having exposed to Seattle.

Oh yeah, we have to start thinking full expansion mindset here.

It's why I'm not too pressed about the goalie situation right away. If Yzerman can get his guy before the season, great, but there's going to be a few teams still auditioning their tandems. So if we gotta endure some Bernier for a few months, that's alright. There's basically never been a better time to go goalie shopping than in the next year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh yeah, we have to start thinking full expansion mindset here.

It's why I'm not too pressed about the goalie situation right away. If Yzerman can get his guy before the season, great, but there's going to be a few teams still auditioning their tandems. So if we gotta endure some Bernier for a few months, that's alright. There's basically never been a better time to go goalie shopping than in the next year.

Plus you have the best goalie in the league for the next decade in a half going in the draft this year.

Absolutely the year of the goalie.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You think Askarov is that good? I guess I know who you want to take at #4?

I think we need an offensive difference maker. While I would be very excited if they took him, over the course of the year I migrated to the offensive forward camp. Askarov isn't coming for two years, so I am not sure what that signals if Yzerman does it.

I am hoping for Byfield, Raymond, Stutzle, Perfetti. I want one of those guys. Laf has no shot at falling so no point in listing him.

I think Askarov is legit, I think he is going to win multiple Vezina Trophies. I really believe that, his movement and technique are great for me, he really is Patrick Roy reborn in terms of how he moves in the crease. As much as I hated that guy, he was freaking great, sign me up for the more athletic next generation of him and that to me is Askarov. I am with those that don't think any NHL guy is going to put a top 5 value on a goalie again, Ottawa might be able to do it this year because of two top 5 picks but really outside of that it is hard to imagine the more you think about it. In a world with analytics you have to think there is some table pounding going on when it is brought up. Yzerman does have the stones to do it though...:laugh:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Plus you have the best goalie in the league for the next decade in a half going in the draft this year.

Absolutely the year of the goalie.

Man, I'd be doing cartwheels for the Wings if they had someone flashing half the talent Askarov does in net. Alas, I've resigned myself that we'll be icing Raymond or Perfetti. Hey, maybe Drysdale. All nice picks in their own way. Maybe the right picks. But when you see elite talent, damn.

Why couldn't Askarov have been in the Ras draft year? That would have been too easy, I guess.

As for other goalie options, I'm really optimistic with Yzerman at the helm, as we've talked about many times. He was really aggressive filling their goaltending void and constantly looking to the future there. He drafted Vasilevskiy in 2012 and then in the spring of 2013 moved on grabbing Ben Bishop.

Given the opinions I've seen from folks here, I'm not sure they'd love that series of moves. In today's terms, it would equate to using a top 20 pick on a goalie and then at the trade deadline giving up AA and a 4th for another goalie. All in one season. He's going to spend to get a goalie both for today and in the future.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Sorted defenseman for guys who played at least 600 minutes at even strength.

Staal was 176 out of 177 in terms of CF%.... woof

With all the extra 2nd's and 3rd's, we find a Point/Kucherov and I don't care at all about his play for one year. Absolutely none.

Reactions: Henkka

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Man, I'd be doing cartwheels for the Wings if they had someone flashing half the talent Askarov does in net. Alas, I've resigned myself that we'll be icing Raymond or Perfetti. Hey, maybe Drysdale. All nice picks in their own way. Maybe the right picks. But when you see elite talent, damn.

Why couldn't Askarov have been in the Ras draft year? That would have been too easy, I guess.

As for other goalie options, I'm really optimistic with Yzerman at the helm, as we've talked about many times. He was really aggressive filling their goaltending void and constantly looking to the future there. He drafted Vasilevskiy in 2012 and then in the spring of 2013 moved on grabbing Ben Bishop.

Given the opinions I've seen from folks here, I'm not sure they'd love that series of moves. In today's terms, it would equate to using a top 20 pick on a goalie and then at the trade deadline giving up AA and a 4th for another goalie. All in one season. He's going to spend to get a goalie both for today and in the future.

People here just kind of like to be miserable.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I believe we can also toll his contract while doing that if we were inclined to.

By the way savage few weeks for the Staal brothers... You better pick your 10 teams with some thought gentleman.
The Staal brothers are from Thunder Bay, while not as close as Minneapolis, Detroit and Buffalo aren't that far away. Also, it's not like they were on Cup contending teams to begin with. Plus the local media and fans have such low expectations, they won't face nearly as much criticism.

It does make you wonder which teams were on their list though.

I'm not so sure Nemeth gets moved just for the hell of it. If his price is reasonable, I can see Yzerman keeping him around to anchor the mid/bottom pairings for the next few years. That's more valuable than 4th rounder or whatever you'd be expecting for a defensive defender.
Players can be signed back as UFA after being traded at TDL. I can't think of one right now, but Orpik was traded by the Caps as a salary dump, immediately bought out by the Avs and re-signed with the Caps.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Players can be signed back as UFA after being traded at TDL. I can't think of one right now, but Orpik was traded by the Caps as a salary dump, immediately bought out by the Avs and re-signed with the Caps.

It happens sometimes, but is rare. I can think of Keith Tkachuk’s stint in Atlanta and Mark Recchi’s Stanley Cup spring of 2006 with Carolina

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
To me, this just makes sense. REgardless of what my opinion is on the caliber of player Marc Staal is today, we knew the Wings were going to add players to the roster. Yzerman has said as much. Would you rather sign average UFAs, or make trades that come with additional assets to plug your roster?

Sure, the Wings probably could have signed a better player in free agency, but with where this team is it wouldn't matter. Personally, I'd rather get a lesser player in Marc Staal for one year + a draft pick over an average UFA for 2-3 years

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It happens sometimes, but is rare. I can think of Keith Tkachuk’s stint in Atlanta and Mark Recchi’s Stanley Cup spring of 2006 with Carolina
I think Nemeth has a good chance of resigning here even after being traded simply because there aren't many teams willing to pay $3M for a 3rd pair D. For the WIngs he's been worth every penny though....

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This trade is a win everyday all day! Free 2nd rounder for one year of bad defender. We had like 7 bad defenders this year, so nothing to get used to at all.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
From Marc Staal's perspective, his main focus for this coming season is to just prove he's worthy of another decent contract (that hopefully won't be with the Wings). And to hopefully stand out so well on a bad team (by, for starters, continuing to compete really hard when everyone else around him is giving up) that a contender makes a move to acquire him at the deadline.

It's almost fair to say that by and large, that's how a lot of these short term newbies (if not all the players who aren't really in Stevie Y's long-term plan) should approach this year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
From Marc Staal's perspective, his main focus for this coming season is to just prove he's worthy of another decent contract (that hopefully won't be with the Wings). And to hopefully stand out so well on a bad team (by, for starters, continuing to compete really hard when everyone else around him is giving up) that a contender makes a move to acquire him at the deadline.

It's almost fair to say that by and large, that's how a lot of these short term newbies (if not all the players who aren't really in Stevie Y's long-term plan) should approach this year.
If anyone was in Stevie's long term plan, that player would have been named captain already.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I feel like Steve is going to make someone captain who he sees as being captain for 10-20 years. There is still so much of the core to complete. What if he names Larkin captain and then its obvious the team becomes Seider's. Awkward.

I feel like the situation makes it difficult to name a captain but if he doesn't name Larkin in the next 2 seasons I would say he doesn't see Larkin as a captain. I also feel like the need for a captain is overrated and just like everything else fans need patience through all this.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
What if he names Larkin captain and then its obvious the team becomes Seider's

Don't you think the captain will ultimately be chosen based on the identity that Yzerman wants the team to reflect? Larkin has the fire, the full tilt effort level, the completeness to his game.

Also, I think we need to realize how batshit crazy it is that people began to pencil Seider in on a leadership track while his D+1 year in the AHL was still ongoing. He very well may grow into that type of role, but we haven't even seen him take an NHL shift and you're talking about how Seider could step in and take over the locker room from Larkin.

Remember that Lidstrom played, what, over 1000 NHL games beside Yzerman before he stepped into the captaincy. Zetterberg played over 500 before he stepped into the role. It's possible for them to co-exist, and likely that a lot of what Seider will potentially come to be as a leader will be learned by watching the leaders in the room, of which Larkin is likely to be one of the main ones, whether or not he's wearing the C.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Don't you think the captain will ultimately be chosen based on the identity that Yzerman wants the team to reflect? Larkin has the fire, the full tilt effort level, the completeness to his game.

Also, I think we need to realize how batshit crazy it is that people began to pencil Seider in on a leadership track while his D+1 year in the AHL was still ongoing. He very well may grow into that type of role, but we haven't even seen him take an NHL shift and you're talking about how Seider could step in and take over the locker room from Larkin.

Remember that Lidstrom played, what, over 1000 NHL games beside Yzerman before he stepped into the captaincy. Zetterberg played over 500 before he stepped into the role. It's possible for them to co-exist, and likely that a lot of what Seider will potentially come to be as a leader will be learned by watching the leaders in the room, of which Larkin is likely to be one of the main ones, whether or not he's wearing the C.

Fair points. I am really not all that invested in weather or not we have a captain, but I can't help but feeling like if Larkin is Yzerman's guy why would he not have named him already? The only thing that comes to mind is that Yzerman wants to see if someone he drafts or acquires is better captain material which means you might be facing the Yzerman to Lidstrom transition while Yzerman is still on the team. That is always a weird thing to go through.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Fair points. I am really not all that invested in weather or not we have a captain, but I can't help but feeling like if Larkin is Yzerman's guy why would he not have named him already? The only thing that comes to mind is that Yzerman wants to see if someone he drafts or acquires is better captain material which means you might be facing the Yzerman to Lidstrom transition while Yzerman is still on the team. That is always a weird thing to go through.

He already said he wants to come in for a year and get a read of the organisation before naming a captain. He also said after last season that there will be a captain this year.

Its obviously going to be Larkin and its because Yzerman (arguably the greatest captain ever), has decided that hes the right one to wear it

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I feel like Steve is going to make someone captain who he sees as being captain for 10-20 years. There is still so much of the core to complete. What if he names Larkin captain and then its obvious the team becomes Seider's. Awkward.

I feel like the situation makes it difficult to name a captain but if he doesn't name Larkin in the next 2 seasons I would say he doesn't see Larkin as a captain. I also feel like the need for a captain is overrated and just like everything else fans need patience through all this.

He said he is naming one before next season. Larkin is a caliber of player where I don't worry about this. The current Stanley Cup Champions best player wears an A. I am guessing Seider will do that at some point in a few years.

Per the press conferences it is notable that Ryan talked specifically about talking to Larkin. He did it in a it's his team kind of way.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I also think he's trying to insulate Larkin from criticism. The captain is the face of the franchise and the player tasked with answering the medias questions after a loss. Larkin still largely fills this role but more of the blame and pressure to turn the team around would rest on his shoulders as the captain. Yzerman knows that we're going to be terrible and remembers being a young captain during losing seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad