DRW: Summer 2019 Prospect Ranking #9

Who is our number 9 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
To me Johansson has a much higher ceiling than Lindstrom, and it's not even close.

I guess if you vote on readiness, Lindstrom, but on potential, Johansson. If you ask me right now to only keep one of Lindstrom or Johansson, I gamble and keep Johansson. Basically Lindstrom is safer and more NHL ready, and has a higher floor, as in I think he's at worst a fringe NHLer and at best a quality #4, whereas Johasson has the potential to be much better, but also may never make it.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
To me Johansson has a much higher ceiling than Lindstrom, and it's not even close.

I guess if you vote on readiness, Lindstrom, but on potential, Johansson. If you ask me right now to only keep one of Lindstrom or Johansson, I gamble and keep Johansson. Basically Lindstrom is safer and more NHL ready, and has a higher floor, as in I think he's at worst a fringe NHLer and at best a quality #4, whereas Johasson has the potential to be much better, but also may never make it.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but man, it feels like we might as well just save this comment and paste it into any debate of *defensive defenseman* vs. *offensive defenseman*

InsideAccess93

Jun 21, 2017
Went with Lindstrom, Add Kotkansalo. Its a shame Regula is injured, I think he is primed for a big year once he gets healthy

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Grewe, imo he has the highest potential of the pack. Add Saarijarvi.
I like how he plays, and is a good skater.

But from what I've seen he does not have much of a shot. Neither in terms of power or accuracy.

Makes it hard for me to expect more than a bottom 6 roles. From the remaining prospects I think he is more of a sure thing, but I don't think he has an exceptionally high ceiling.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario

But from what I've seen he does not have much of a shot. Neither in terms of power or accuracy.

Makes it hard for me to expect more than a bottom 6 roles. From the remaining prospects I think he is more of a sure thing, but I don't think he has an exceptionally high ceiling.
I agree with what you said for the most part.

However, I do think he has more potential than a bottom 6 winger. In terms of bettering a skill, I think that shooting is one of the easiest skills in hockey to improve. It's not like hockey IQ, skating or defensive awareness where some players just simply can't figure it out/improve on it. Shooting is something you can work on everyday, make minor tweaks or adjustments that make major improvements. If he had poor hockey IQ, then sure I can see the argument, but shooting is not something I'm overly worried about at 18 years old.

Reactions: Mlotek

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Albin Grewe's tape impressed me the most. He looked like a player way above his draft position.

I'm ready to start beating the drum for T. Rex; I was really tempted to vote for him the past 2 choices. Skill set aside, I think he would will himself to being an NHL regular with his tenacity and drive. He will be a player you can only love if he's on your team.

Reactions: Bench

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I have seen some people question his hockey IQ. The Swedish scout for hockeyprospect.com even went as far as to say he thinks he makes his linemates worse.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Don’t really see the Lindstrom hype here, I think he’s a bottom pairing NHL guy, I would have taken Kaski before Lindstrom, because he seems closer to the game than Lindstrom with similar upside. But both of those guys I have behind our three second round picks this year.

Reactions: TheMule93

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Albin Grewe's tape impressed me the most. He looked like a player way above his draft position.

Grewe and the Red Wings provided one of those rare moments when, on a draft day, the team you like calls the name of the player you want at that spot.
I liked Grewe a lot.
That said, I was not impressed with him at all in the 3 on 3 tournament or the 5 on 5 game at development camp. I know Grewe's kind of a rambunctious type, and maybe that's not easy for him to excel in a development camp scrimmage, but I hoped his speed and skill would "pop" more, like we saw from Ethan Phillips and Mastrisimone.
Still, I do have hopes for the guy.

Went with Johansson based on scouting reports. It sounds like he has a skill set and upside that could really translate to a top 4 player.

Add Saarijarvi.

I liked the Johansson pick on draft day. I loved it after listening to Andersson talk about the guy.
I loved it even more after watching him the 3 on 3 and 5 on 5 games.
I think there's a decent chance Johansson is the best guy we drafted in 2019.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Going Lindström again, sticking to my guts here. His knee injury is of concern, especially for a guy whom needs to improve his skating. His stats don't look very impressive in SHL but despite not contributing a lot offensively there were quite a few games where he was the best defenseman on his team, very sound defensively, has a great first pass, strong infront of the net and along the boards.
I've never seen much in Lindstrom.
Right after the draft, I went to plymouth and watched him in the Summer Showcase.... just didn't stand out in anyway.
It's only a prospect development camp, but based on what I saw in the 3 on 3s and 5 on 5 game, I think Kotkansalo has a better shot at being an NHLer.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Grewe and the Red Wings provided one of those rare moments when, on a draft day, the team you like calls the name of the player you want at that spot.
I liked Grewe a lot.
That said, I was not impressed with him at all in the 3 on 3 tournament or the 5 on 5 game at development camp. I know Grewe's kind of a rambunctious type, and maybe that's not easy for him to excel in a development camp scrimmage, but I hoped his speed and skill would "pop" more, like we saw from Ethan Phillips and Mastrisimone.
Still, I do have hopes for the guy.

Grewe is a third round pick coming off an injury as well, I would take those scrimmages with a huge grain of salt. But especially with him coming into camp he wouldnt be close to playing his style of game. Hes a guy that likely wont play in the prospects tourney because hockey in Sweden will already be on the go, but he cant be playing against teammates to get a read on him either. Tyler Bertuzzi played his game at development camp and 90% of this board was ready to ship him out of town after getting into a fight with Jensen lol

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Grewe is a third round pick coming off an injury as well, I would take those scrimmages with a huge grain of salt. But especially with him coming into camp he wouldnt be close to playing his style of game. Hes a guy that likely wont play in the prospects tourney because hockey in Sweden will already be on the go, but he cant be playing against teammates to get a read on him either. Tyler Bertuzzi played his game at development camp and 90% of this board was ready to ship him out of town after getting into a fight with Jensen lol

All I'm saying is, in my first good look at him, he didn't show much.
The other small speedy forwards - Phillips and Mastrimone - they showed something.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Yeah theres about a half dozen guys id take before Lindstrom, surprised with the way this is going

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I've never seen much in Lindstrom.
Right after the draft, I went to plymouth and watched him in the Summer Showcase.... just didn't stand out in anyway.
It's only a prospect development camp, but based on what I saw in the 3 on 3s and 5 on 5 game, I think Kotkansalo has a better shot at being an NHLer.

Well like you said, it's only a prospect development camp. Kotkansalo is pretty solid though, one of our sleeper prospects imo. Lindström isn't a very impressive prospect in general, his upside is something like a defensive 4#D, my reason for voting Lindström though is because imo he's one of the few guys left that I think have a good shot at having themselves a solid NHL career.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah theres about a half dozen guys id take before Lindstrom, surprised with the way this is going
Let me personally apologize for my vote. I could have gone with Johansson because I have read such great things leading up to and after the draft. I haven't seen it for myself yet and went with the more known commodity.

To be honest I almost voted Regula because he impressed me so much this year. I didn't know that he was hurt, though. Again Mastrosimone I don't know too well, but he looked pretty good in the 3v3 thing so it's a bit hard to slot some of them at this point I think.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I could see some people preferring a guy still over Lindstrom but half a dozen is pretty ridiculous. He was a 38th overall pick, who played top 3ish minutes on a Championship team in the SHL at 20 years old. He has also been mentioned as a top prospect by the wings management every chance they get for the last season so I dont see how anyone could say theres still 6 on the board they would take over him. No one has the resume he does out of the players left here and hes one of the highest drafted players left, I think Tuomisto is the only one taken higher.

Lindstrom might not be flashy but neither is a guy like Colton Parayko. Just because he isnt flashy doesnt mean he wont be an effective player. Theres no way hes out of the top 10 with the season he just had

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I could see some people preferring a guy still over Lindstrom but half a dozen is pretty ridiculous. He was a 38th overall pick, who played top 3ish minutes on a Championship team in the SHL at 20 years old. He has also been mentioned as a top prospect by the wings management every chance they get for the last season so I dont see how anyone could say theres still 6 on the board they would take over him. No one has the resume he does out of the players left here and hes one of the highest drafted players left, I think Tuomisto is the only one taken higher.

Lindstrom might not be flashy but neither is a guy like Colton Parayko. Just because he isnt flashy doesnt mean he wont be an effective player. Theres no way hes out of the top 10 with the season he just had

I don't know about a half dozen, but I've got Kotkansalo and Johansson ahead of Lindstrom.
And once you get to 10, you're talking about small degrees of difference. I could easily make a case for Mastrosimone, Phillips, and a few others.

I thought Lindstrom was a reach on draft day. At best, I think he's a third pairing guy who plays the PK. Maybe.

But really? I the stink of the 2017 draft, the comments Wright made about it...I really don't have much hope for much out of this draft.
Is there a single player in that draft who's outdone himself relative to his draft position? That's the crazy thing.
Usually at least 1/3rd of your picks do things that make you optimistic.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
But really? I the stink of the 2017 draft, the comments Wright made about it...I really don't have much hope for much out of this draft.
Is there a single player in that draft who's outdone himself relative to his draft position? That's the crazy thing.
Usually at least 1/3rd of your picks do things that make you optimistic.

What Wright really tried to say that they used that draft to build that competitive environment. How I understood it, it was to take lesser players with great character to push others. So those 2017 aren't the guys who should take high steps. And this draft was sacrifised for that plan, because they saw it as overall weak draft against other classes. There was some bigger plan on play, some guys were taken to push others, and after 10 years, it's final purpose was to make other drafts look better.

I don't know is that a crazy thing, but it's a very different thing. And very advanced thinking, how a group of prospects/people will evolve. Very interesting.

I don't know is it right or wrong, but always taking just the best possible individual, is very one-dimensional thinking. More of stupid for me. Scouting Directors should think and plan much much deeper than just that.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
What Wright really tried to say that they used that draft to build that competitive environment. How I understood it, it was to take lesser players with great character to push others. So those 2017 aren't the guys who should take high steps. And this draft was sacrifised for that plan, because they saw it as overall weak draft against other classes. There was some bigger plan on play, some guys were taken to push others, and after 10 years, it's final purpose was to make other drafts look better.

I don't know is that a crazy thing, but it's a very different thing. And very advanced thinking, how a group of prospects/people will evolve. Very interesting.

I don't know is it right or wrong, but always taking just the best possible individual, is very one-dimensional thinking. More of stupid for me. Scouting Directors should think and plan much much deeper than just that.
Its often 2-4 years before players from a certain draft class will start playing together. Someone being 'competitive' during whatever short time the prospects are together in the summer will have little impact if any.

Even look at the guys that played together from that draft.
Webb/Gilmour in Saginaw
Gallant/Fraser in Peteborough

Don't recall any of them receiving an ELC from Detroit.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That's not advanced thinking.
Zablocki, Gallant, Frazer, Webb, Gilmour.
5 guys who who didn't even earn a contract.
Guys who, for the most part, didn't even improve from draft year to D+2.

How are these guys going to "make our other drafts better?" Except by comparison?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I haven't done it. I am not going to lie it has been since the days of Captain Bob that I have wanted to spend 2 hours digging into an argument but the 2017 draft which most of us had concerns about is also looking like just a spectacular bad draft in general.

Now because it is being over analyzed to death on our board since literally we said "the Detroit Red Wings select WHL Tri-City".... However, without the long enough time period it will look ridiculous but you are going to find similar things in other organizations. I mean for instance Gallant did get a contract. We didn't give it to him but stop listing him with the other five. We choose not to sign Alan Quinn (sp?) either.

It does come down to Ras and Lindstrom to do the heavy lifting for sure. But each time people keep banging on this draft jeep in mind and it is early but at least this far it is in the conversation for worst draft year of the decade. We will see since it's still pretty early to evaluate this.

But if we threw up organizational charts I am not sure many would be jazzed about that draft. There is a reason the World Junior teams were run by younger players last year which is extremely rare and speaks to just how pathetic that draft was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad