DRW: Summer 2019 Prospect Ranking #8

Who is our number 8 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
He is 20 and has room to grow; I would consider him a prospect but I get that.

But shouldn't be forgotten when discussing our prospect pool. Just not included due to ease of categorization. I consider almost anyone under 22-23 still developing, especially a defender.
For sure, if we're discussing young players that we want to improve and hopefully be keys to the Wings futures, Hronek, Cholowski and Rasmussen are all still "prospects," they've just played enough that they're not technically prospects.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
Going with svechnikov, if he can stay healthy I still believe he can be a nhl regular. Been a tough development path for the kid.

If he fights ovi then all bets are off.

Add smith

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hirose didn't even get half the votes, looks more like a clear top 4 IMO.

Hirose has some skill and some moves, but unless he finds another gear with his skating, he's going to be 3rd line winger, tops.
Can't see how he's the Wings #5 prospect ahead of Rasmussen, Berggren and Svechnikov.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Going with svechnikov, if he can stay healthy I still believe he can be a nhl regular. Been a tough development path for the kid.

If he fights ovi then all bets are off.

Add smith

@newfy has talked about this before but Svech has fought tougher and bigger guys than Ovie. I am not saying he is going to blow his doors off or anything, but I am sort of doubtful Ovie would win. He would have 10 to 15 lbs on him but less reach and actually less of a fighting history than Evgeny.

Hey if his season is going well enough for them to be on the ice at the same time that is probably heading in a good direction for us anyway, so happy to see if it does. But if Ovie declines he better honor that too as Andrei kicked off that fight and was the aggressor. I know it was ugly and I understand big brother making a comment. But Evgeny needs to be careful, I don't want Larkin getting jumped because we are settling family scores. However, if Ovie obliges Svech is a big powerful man himself, don't expect him to get embarrassed in my opinion.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
@newfy has talked about this before but Svech has fought tougher and bigger guys than Ovie. I am not saying he is going to blow his doors off or anything, but I am sort of doubtful Ovie would win. He would have 10 to 15 lbs on him but less reach and actually less of a fighting history than Evgeny.

Hey if his season is going well enough for them to be on the ice at the same time that is probably heading in a good direction for us anyway, so happy to see if it does. But if Ovie declines he better honor that too as Andrei kicked off that fight and was the aggressor. I know it was ugly and I understand big brother making a comment. But Evgeny needs to be careful, I don't want Larkin getting jumped because we are settling family scores. However, if Ovie obliges Svech is a big powerful man himself, don't expect him to get embarrassed in my opinion.

Yeah the circle jerk around Ovechkin being some big, bad heavyweight fighter around here is pretty dumb. Could he beat Svech? Maybe but Svechnikov isnt some pushover. He handled himself well against Prout who one punched Lucic. Prout would turn Ovchkin into minced meat and Svech handled him well. Might've been one lucky fight but its still bigger than anything Ovechkin has done with his glvoes off

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I hope ESvech has better sense than to settle some score.
I want him going into this season thinking about nothing but making the team, scoring goals, making plays and winning battles.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah the circle jerk around Ovechkin being some big, bad heavyweight fighter around here is pretty dumb. Could he beat Svech? Maybe but Svechnikov isnt some pushover. He handled himself well against Prout who one punched Lucic. Prout would turn Ovchkin into minced meat and Svech handled him well. Might've been one lucky fight but its still bigger than anything Ovechkin has done with his glvoes off
Ovechkin doesn't usually fight because the team carries players to do that for him, he's a superstar, not some AHL scrub like Svech.

Ovechkin isn't a fighter, but look at the power on his slappers. Dude's got some serious arms, all he has to do is connect once, as we already know.

Svech would be better off leaving it alone because AHL scrubs aren't supposed to be fighting NHL stars. Guaranteed Tom WIlson will be coming after him regardless of who wins.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Ovechkin doesn't usually fight because the team carries players to do that for him, he's a superstar, not some AHL scrub like Svech.

Ovechkin isn't a fighter, but look at the power on his slappers. Dude's got some serious arms, all he has to do is connect once, as we already know.

Svech would be better off leaving it alone because AHL scrubs aren't supposed to be fighting NHL stars. Guaranteed Tom WIlson will be coming after him regardless of who wins.

And then Svech will hold his own against Wilson because he isn’t a bitch who can’t handle his own business?

By the way, did Svech f*** your sister and then not call? Because the angst you are sending his way is pretty sad.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And then Svech will hold his own against Wilson because he isn’t a ***** who can’t handle his own business?

By the way, did Svech **** your sister and then not call? Because the angst you are sending his way is pretty sad.
Wilson has reach dude. Svech will get demolished.

I'm a Caps fan and a hockey fan. Scrubs don't get to fight stars. That's pretty much a rule.

Svech needs to prove he belongs on an NHL roster before he worries about threatening an NHL star on social media. End of story.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Wilson has reach dude. Svech will get demolished.

I'm a Caps fan and a hockey fan. Scrubs don't get to fight stars. That's pretty much a rule.

Svech needs to prove he belongs on an NHL roster before he worries about threatening an NHL star on social media. End of story.

Yeah, I agree, Tom Wilson is generally a very good fighter. And here he is getting ragdolled by Dalton Prout. Who is the same size as Geno.

Compare that to how Geno managed in his fight against Prout. I’m not concerned about Svechnikov being able to take care of himself in the moment.

Honestly, I think Svech should be within his rights to ask Ovechkin for a fight, but he doesn’t get to just go after Ovechkin and force his hand. That’s the kind of behavior you get from a Witkowski and I really disagree with.

I do agree with you that Svechnikov would be better served in focusing completely on being an everyday NHLer. He has the skill set to be a very good secondary scoring threat in the middle 6 and we could definitely use it. Either to increase his trade value or give us the added scoring punch.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I think it would be dumb for them to fight just because Ovechkin beat up Svech jr. Ovechkin doesnt usually fight because he isnt a fighter, youre talking about him like hes some big, well known fighter but doesnt have to because his team has players that do that. Having a hard slap shot doesnt mean you know how to give or receive a punch.

Ovechkin is a huge, athletic man. But its the NHL, being huge and really athletic doesnt automatically make you tough like some on here want to believe. Svechnikov is big enough that if he connects once in the right way somone could go down like a bag of bricks too. Big deal. I dont care about whether or not they do fight and I dont think they will, just the amount of fans who think OV is really tough or should be feared is annoying given his history in the NHL. He got beat down by 5'11 Mike Richards,, he had a nothing fight with Gaustad, an ok fight that he lost against Dubinsky and one fight against an 18 year old Russian rookie where he knocked him out. That isnt impressive for a guy his size, its ok for a star but nothing special.

Ovechkin has done nothing in his NHL career to say he would kill Svechnikov in a fight like so many on here are proclaiming. Svechnikov has handled himself well against Oligny and Prout who are legit career fighters in the NHL and more impressive than anyone OV has fought. He also had a short scrap with Nic Meloche who is a tough player in his own right.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio

I can respect you and @newfy on both your decisions about this. I’ve been following this site for a little while even though I don’t post all that much till recently, you always have good insight and newfy is pretty good when talking about the rough stuff.

I personally think Evgeny calling out Ovie is uncalled for because your right, Andrei was the aggressor. He made a grave mistake challenging Ovie who is well know to be built like a tank and despite his unflattering history with fights showed that night that wasn’t gonna be the case.

You got to let your family fight there own battles sometimes but Evgeny doesn’t believe so and wanted to challenge Ovie on Twitter. Now we’re in a spot where if you ask me because of what Evgeny said we might already be dealing with a amped up capitals team who’s ready for battle with Wilson leading the charge with his goonery.

If they do fight though, really all I’ve seen from Evgenys fight history is that he’s able to stand up with skilled fighters. I’m personally not that impressed with his offensive skills, he’s shown a good clinch and that he can take a shot. If Ovie accepts and stays open like he did with andrei, swinging for the fences and lands with his power. That’s not gonna be good. I haven’t seen Evgeny open up and throw with weight yet.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Yeah, I agree, Tom Wilson is generally a very good fighter. And here he is getting ragdolled by Dalton Prout. Who is the same size as Geno.

Compare that to how Geno managed in his fight against Prout. I’m not concerned about Svechnikov being able to take care of himself in the moment.

Honestly, I think Svech should be within his rights to ask Ovechkin for a fight, but he doesn’t get to just go after Ovechkin and force his hand. That’s the kind of behavior you get from a Witkowski and I really disagree with.

I do agree with you that Svechnikov would be better served in focusing completely on being an everyday NHLer. He has the skill set to be a very good secondary scoring threat in the middle 6 and we could definitely use it. Either to increase his trade value or give us the added scoring punch.

To be fair, Svech got lucky Prout missed the first punch and the zebra gave him enough of a distraction to give him a little advantage.

Once he lost it got maybe 2 weak punches in.

I wouldn't jump to conclusion he is a big bad man just from that single incident.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
To be fair, Svech got lucky Prout missed the first punch and the zebra gave him enough of a distraction to give him a little advantage.

Once he lost it got maybe 2 weak punches in.

I wouldn't jump to conclusion he is a big bad man just from that single incident.

Pump the brakes. I never said he would win, I just said he wouldn’t get ragdolled. Svech didn’t get thrown around and down to the ice. Just illustrating that it’s not like he’s Brendan Smith trying to fight Chara.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Wilson was 20 YO in 2014. He's a heck of a lot stronger and more experienced now.

All I'm saying is it's not smart to trade punches with one of the strongest players in the league. Besides, the last thing Svech needs to do is get injured again, that could completely derail his career. Keep in mind you don't have to lose a fight to get injured, just ask Mantha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad