DRW: Summer 2019 Prospect Ranking #12

Who is our number 12 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I have to believe what they see in his skating is something they think they can fix. He has almost everything else you could actually want, but he is Axel Holmstrom bad level of skating for me which scares the **** out of me to take him where we did.

I didn’t like the pick either, but I said if you switched him and Mastrosimone’s position people would be fine with it

Or even if you moved Mastro, AJ, and Grewe up one draft spot and we move him to Grewe’s pick

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have to believe what they see in his skating is something they think they can fix. He has almost everything else you could actually want, but he is Axel Holmstrom bad level of skating for me which scares the **** out of me to take him where we did.

The biggest knock I’ve heard on Tuomisto is his skating. The biggest knock I’ve heard on Grewe is his hockey IQ.

Given those are two of the things I value most, haven’t been in a rush to vote for either. That said, they do bring other things to the table. They have size and some skill to go with it, especially Grewe.

I don’t think Tuomisto is as bad of a skater as Holmstrom was. His top speed is way better. Just needs work on acceleration and his agility from what I can gather.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I didn’t like the pick either, but I said if you switched him and Mastrosimone’s position people would be fine with it

Or even if you moved Mastro, AJ, and Grewe up one draft spot and we move him to Grewe’s pick

I get some of the appeal and why if they think they can fix his explosion and skating they really have something. My problem with that is my experience with XO. I believed in him big time, I thought he would find that step or two steps to be a very solid top 4 player. I think Axel Holmstrom has top line NHL level skill, he just cannot skate well enough to really have that kind of impact and ultimately washed out. Adam Almqvist is another guy flat out done in by skating.

I don't think you flat out cross guys off the list for it. But I am not super interested in putting the asset level value we did.

I had Grewe in my top 35 so yeah I really like that pick.

There are things to like about Tuomisto there really are. Also, I am not sure we need to worry as much about Lindstrom or Tuomisto being just a third pairing guy, with Hronek and Seider them outkicking their coverage would be massive but not necessarily as crucial. I think at this point surprisingly enough the position we have the most depth in are LW, then RD which is kind of surprising. Now if Seider busts and I really don't see that we get back to needing one of these guys to do something bigger. But they both look like what you want in the third role and they do have top 4 upside that we probably don't need. If one hits that scenario we have a very valuable moveable asset more than likely.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The biggest knock I’ve heard on Tuomisto is his skating. The biggest knock I’ve heard on Grewe is his hockey IQ.

Given those are two of the things I value most, haven’t been in a rush to vote for either. That said, they do bring other things to the table. They have size and some skill to go with it, especially Grewe.

I don’t think Tuomisto is as bad of a skater as Holmstrom was. His top speed is way better. Just needs work on acceleration and his agility from what I can gather.

Love Grewe's hockey IQ and his compete level.

He is a guy that his coach in Sweden admits gets practice to be played harder on his SHL club. He makes veterans practice harder as a 17 year old... I know certain quotes are just quotes but when hockey executives, coaches and scouts say certain things over the years these kind of ones always make me take note. He does get a ton of his stuff done through hard work, I find that overtime people will actually laud his hockey IQ as it is a part of what is driving the hard work. I question his hands really, but have seen enough there. I just really like Grewe, guys that play the game that hard usually make the NHL, they will themselves there. He reminds me so much of Bertuzzi, he really does. I think the guy would run through the boards face first if it meant something for his team.

Agree that Tuomisto has a good top gear, heck Ericsson has a good top gear and a way better first three strides so there is a player I know people go nuts on around here. Tuomisto has a lot of the Ericsson makeup if we want to go with a current Wings player but just a worse skating makeup. I actually think his explosiveness is worse than Holmstrom though again the top gear and stride are better so you hope they have a plan there. I also think he is going to need more agility wise. But he is a project with a long runway with Europe and the NCAA hockey ahead. We have a player to work with, it is on Horcoff and Cleary to make him something great, hopefully they can. I believe in those two guys, they are getting handed a lot of kids over the last three years, but hopefully we continue what I have seen lately here, I believe in those guys and I am glad Yzerman has kept them.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

He is a guy that his coach in Sweden admits gets practice to be played harder on his SHL club. He makes veterans practice harder as a 17 year old... I know certain quotes are just quotes but when hockey executives, coaches and scouts say certain things over the years these kind of ones always make me take note. He does get a ton of his stuff done through hard work, I find that overtime people will actually laud his hockey IQ as it is a part of what is driving the hard work. I question his hands really, but have seen enough there. I just really like Grewe, guys that play the game that hard usually make the NHL, they will themselves there. He reminds me so much of Bertuzzi, he really does. I think the guy would run through the boards face first if it meant something for his team.

Agree that Tuomisto has a good top gear, heck Ericsson has a good top gear and a way better first three strides so there is a player I know people go nuts on around here. Tuomisto has a lot of the Ericsson makeup if we want to go with a current Wings player but just a worse skating makeup. I actually think his explosiveness is worse than Holmstrom though again the top gear and stride are better so you hope they have a plan there.

Should say I’ve seen mixed reviews on both as well; as far as not everyone feels Tuomisto is a bad skater, and not everyone feels Grewe has poor hockey IQ.

So guess we will have to form our own opinions there. I liked Grewe at the U18’s. I see the appeal with him as far as someone to take a shot on in rounds 2 or 3. As I’ve said, I love what we did from the Mastrosimone pick on in this last draft. Really good strategy, IMO.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Should say I’ve seen mixed reviews on both as well; as far as not everyone feels Tuomisto is a bad skater, and not everyone feels Grewe has poor hockey IQ.

So guess we will have to form our own opinions there. I liked Grewe at the U18’s. I see the appeal with him as far as someone to take a shot on in rounds 2 or 3. As I’ve said, I love what we did from the Mastrosimone pick on in this last draft. Really good strategy, IMO.

Our late rounds look heavily Draper types from when they interview him. I know we have talked about Hakan being all over this draft, but I think Yzerman also turned heavily to the Draper, Horcoff and Cleary contingent in terms of the guys we seemed to be picking. Since many of us were calling for them to have greater influence I am really happy about that.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I was all about Grewe until development camp. Showed me nothing. Didn't stick out. Not even in 3 on 3.
Wasn't even noticeable until he slapped Soderblom around.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Going off the board a bit here. Went with Kotkansalo after I watched a bit of him. Doesn't flash high end potential but I feel like he could be a good defensive defenseman. but who needs them anymore? Add Pearson or Vili
Looking forward to watching him in camp/prospect tournament, if he plays.
He impressed me a lot in the devcamp. My impression of him improved vastly.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Looking forward to watching him in camp/prospect tournament, if he plays.
He impressed me a lot in the devcamp. My impression of him improved vastly.

I have been generally impressed when I catch the odd BU game. With three of our guys there I will probably watch more but I think he is underrated steady and a good skater for a big guy with some bite to his game. He just does a lot of things that you think will translate to the NHL.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Agree that Tuomisto has a good top gear, heck Ericsson has a good top gear and a way better first three strides so there is a player I know people go nuts on around here. Tuomisto has a lot of the Ericsson makeup if we want to go with a current Wings player but just a worse skating makeup. I actually think his explosiveness is worse than Holmstrom though again the top gear and stride are better so you hope they have a plan there. I also think he is going to need more agility wise. But he is a project with a long runway with Europe and the NCAA hockey ahead. We have a player to work with, it is on Horcoff and Cleary to make him something great, hopefully they can. I believe in those two guys, they are getting handed a lot of kids over the last three years, but hopefully we continue what I have seen lately here, I believe in those guys and I am glad Yzerman has kept them.

There is no question that Tuomisto has heavy feet and needs to put a lot of work into his skating and strength. He doesn't, however, have the huge technical flaws that Holmstrom had to overcome with his skating. Tuomisto uses his edges well and his pivots/hips are generally pretty smooth. My guess is that the scouting staff is projecting that his skating should materially improve as he gets stronger, grows into his body and puts in some reasonable technical work. These are the types of calls, in my opinion, where the good experienced scouts earn their money. It isn't hard to determine who is a better player at 18. The challenge is figuring out which of these guys have the capacity to get much, much better without unreasonable or unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->