DRW: Summer 2019 Prospect Ranking #11

Who is our number 11 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
In an absolute nail biter, edging out Mastrosimone by 1 vote, Albert Johansson prevails!

Screen-Shot-2019-05-24-at-11.36.49-AM.png

Added Ethan Phillips.

1. Filip Zadina - 74.1%
2. Moritz Seider - 64.1%
3. Joe Veleno - 93.1%
4. Jared McIsaac - 62.4%
5. Taro Hirose - 39.6%
6. Jonatan Berggren - 50.5%
7. Filip Larsson - 66%
8. Evgeny Svechnikov - 70.8%
9. Gustav Lindstrom - 39.8%
10. Albert Johansson - 25.3%

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I listened to the Horcoff interview on the Red & White podcast and thought it was interesting what he said about Kotkansalo. Basically said he was disappointed with his season last year and stayed in the US to put extra work in and bounce back this year.

He looked really good at development camp (should for an older player, but still). Also I believe he was the only regular for Finland on their WJC team that wasn’t a 1st rounder which says a lot about how they view him.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
So what is it you guys see in Mastrosimone?

His shot is the first thing noticeable, but from the couple highlight videos I've seen nothing else stands out.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

His shot is the first thing noticeable, but from the couple highlight videos I've seen nothing else stands out.

He uses his teammates well and finds soft spots in defenses. Displays a lot of hockey sense and his hands quickly control the puck. He has tremendous offensive tools, he does fumble them at times, really my concern with him is more skating, the tools in terms of offense are there when I watch him. Yes his shot is probably his biggest asset agree there.

Reactions: Mlotek

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
T. Rex for me. Add Kasper. I still feel he has a good shot to be a 4-6 guy in the show. He was pretty pedestrian last year, but so was everyone else on his team.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Kaski, add Kotkansalo. It's funny how Albert Johansson beat out our 2nd rounder Tuoumisto for the #9 spot. Our scouts & SY obviously disagree.

People HATED the Tuomisto pick, it is not a surprise people are not voting for him, even though I see more upside in Tuomisto then in Johansson.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
People HATED the Tuomisto pick, it is not a surprise people are not voting for him, even though I see more upside in Tuomisto then in Johansson.

And I also saw you compare Grewe to Patrice Bergeron recently, so we need to tread carefully.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That is correct :laugh: But on paper and the way he plays he does remind me of Bergeron.

I don't see the Bergeron comparison personally. The comparisons to Marchand seem fairly accurate, but at a very reduced level. I don't think Grewe has the speed and skating combination, nor the shot and offensive instincts of Marchand. It's hard for me to see a route to him cracking the top 6 on an NHL team, but should be able to make a name for himself as an agitator and energy guy who can chip in on occasion. If he becomes something like Andrew Shaw's career average, I think we've done well with him. Someone who might score 15-20 goals and add 15-20 assists in a season, but has some intangibles that could make him very valuable to the team outside of his offensive production.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

The shot is the big thing but at this point in the voting I like his chances to score goals in the NHL enough to vote him in at this point

Reactions: Mlotek

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Reminds me of Tatar as a prospect. Good shot, good hands. Undersized and needs to gain a step in his skating.

Last edited:

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Reminds me of Tatar as a prospect. Good shot, good hands. Undersized and needs to gain a step in his skating.
I hope he will be more diverse that Tatar.

Watching Tatar he is pretty predictable. He will never use the backhand. 95% of all his goals are wrist shots.

Thanks for all the responses on Mastrosimone, if anyone else has anything to add please do so.

So far, Kirill Tyutyayev excites me more than Mastrosimone. He doesn't have the shot, but I like what I see about his playmaking. He also isn't afraid to make strong passes with the backhand which very few players tend to do.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I hope he will be more diverse that Tatar.

Watching Tatar he is pretty predictable. He will never use the backhand. 95% of all his goals are wrist shots.

Thanks for all the responses on Mastrosimone, if anyone else has anything to add please do so.

So far, Kirill Tyutyayev excites me more than Mastrosimone. He doesn't have the shot, but I like what I see about his playmaking. He also isn't afraid to make strong passes with the backhand which very few players tend to do.

Being predictable has never stopped good players from producing. Obviously it's a sliding scale of success based on how good the tools are, but since joining the NHL full time, Tatar has played in 6 seasons and scored 20+ goals 5 times. The one time he didn't, he scored 19 in 73 games. Ovechkin from the faceoff dot on the powerplay is possibly the most predictable thing in hockey, but it works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad