DRW RFA's for next year.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
We currently have 49/50 Contracts, so we probably will need to make some more room for signings in the future.. (We also have Chase Pearson Signed for next year, but not this year... so that would be 50/50 Contracts.

Detroit Red Wings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Which of our Current UFA's and RFA's Should we Re-sign.

UFAs:

Thomas Vanek (3M)
Niklas Kronwall (4.75M)
Luke Witkowski (0.75M)
Jake Chelios (0.65M)
Dylan McIlrath (0.65M)
Wade Megan (0.65M)

RFAs:

Martin Frk (1.05M)
Dylan Sadowy (0.88M)
Axel Holmstrom (0.686M)
Dominic Turgeon (0.686M)
Libor Sulak (0.833M)
Joe Hicketts (0.635M)

Goalies:

Patrik Rybar (0.925M) RFA
Harri Sateri (0.75M) UFA

So who do we cut... who do we Re-sign???

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
ME personally, I only sign Rybar, Hicketts, Sulak, Frk and have them all play significant roles in the AHL. I don't resign anyone. An I even look to trim the roster with trades and waive players like Ericsson/Abdelkader and pay them to play in the AHL if they're not pick up if I have to because the roster spots are becoming important for younger players.

* If Yzerman is brought in I look for one signing/trade that could excite people.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
We currently have 49/50 Contracts, so we probably will need to make some more room for signings in the future.. (We also have Chase Pearson Signed for next year, but not this year... so that would be 50/50 Contracts.

UFAs:

Thomas Vanek (3M)
Niklas Kronwall (4.75M)
Luke Witkowski (0.75M)
Jake Chelios (0.65M)
Dylan McIlrath (0.65M)
Wade Megan (0.65M)

RFAs:

Martin Frk (1.05M)
Dylan Sadowy (0.88M)
Axel Holmstrom (0.686M)
Dominic Turgeon (0.686M)
Libor Sulak (0.833M)
Joe Hicketts (0.635M)

Goalies:

Harri Sateri (0.75M) UFA

Everyone. Maybe resign Rybar

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Vanek: No. Have young guys compete for his top 6 spot. He's fulfilled his role well. No
Kronwall: Personally I wouldn't, but if he doesn't retire they will re-sign him. No
Witkowski: Probably on his way out. No
Chelios: Cheap depth in GR. Don't see why not. Yes
McIlrath: Same deal as Chelios. Yes
Megan: Same deal as above. Yes

Frk: I have a feeling we're done with him. Might keep him in GR but I think he'll want to try somewhere else. No
Sadowy: Bust. No
Holmstrom: Rumors say he's returning to Sweden. His prospects in Detroit don't look well with Ehn, De La Rose, Turgeon, and Pearson. No
Turgeon: Still young, no reason to get rid of him. Yes
Sulak: Probably signed for one more year to prove himself. Has had an underwhelming season. Yes
Hicketts: Has started producing late in the season. No reason to give up on him yet. Yes

Rybar: He's taken GR's starting job. Yes
Sateri: Might keep him, might let him go, depends on the front office's evaluation of guys like Larsson and Van Pottelberghe. IDK

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
UFAs:

no- Thomas Vanek (3M)
yes, if he wants to - Niklas Kronwall (4.75M)
yes-Luke Witkowski (0.75M)
yes- Jake Chelios (0.65M)
yes- Dylan McIlrath (0.65M)
yes- Wade Megan (0.65M)

RFAs:

yes -Martin Frk (1.05M)
no -Dylan Sadowy (0.88M)
yes, if we can bury the contract with him in Europe. No if we can't - Axel Holmstrom (0.686M)
no- Dominic Turgeon (0.686M)
no- Libor Sulak (0.833M)
yes- Joe Hicketts (0.635M)

Goalies:

yes -Patrik Rybar (0.925M) RFA
no -Harri Sateri (0.75M) UFA

Other than Kronwall, I consider all of the "yes" players to be GR guys.

Holmstrom: Rumors say he's returning to Sweden. His prospects in Detroit don't look well with Ehn, De La Rose, Turgeon, and Pearson. No

If Holmstrom goes back to Sweden, can he be tendered a contract but not counted against our contract limit? Just wondering if there's a funny rule with RFAs playing in Europe.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019

UFAs:

Thomas Vanek (3M)
Niklas Kronwall (4.75M)
Luke Witkowski (0.75M)
Jake Chelios (0.65M)
Dylan McIlrath (0.65M)
Wade Megan (0.65M)

RFAs:

Martin Frk (1.05M)
Dylan Sadowy (0.88M)
Axel Holmstrom (0.686M)
Dominic Turgeon (0.686M)
Libor Sulak (0.833M)
Joe Hicketts (0.635M)

Goalies:

Harri Sateri (0.75M) UFA

I would cut all the ufa’s in a heart beat

Kronwall returns cause this team is too loyal for their own good

I’d bring back holmstrom turgeon, Sulak and hicketts of rfa’s and rybar

Sadly I don’t think we’ll give holmstrom a chance for whatever reason so either he goes to another team or back to Sweden , no reason why frk would continue playing in the ahl so I think he goes back to Europe

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Vanek: No.
Witkowski: No
McIlrath: No
Megan: No
Sadowy: No
Sateri: No

Kronwall: Yes. If he's still one of Detroit's best 7 options for defense and will accept a reduced role, I'd give him another year.
Chelios: Yes
Frk: Yes
Holmstrom: Yes (one-year deal)
Turgeon: Yes
Sulak: Yes
Hicketts: Yes
Rybar: Yes

Sign Veleno.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
UFAs:

Thomas Vanek (3M) <--- let walk. sign Gustav Nyquist from UFA.
Niklas Kronwall (4.75M) <--- let walk. sign Erik Karlsson or Jake Gardiner from UFA.
Luke Witkowski (0.75M) <---- let walk.
Jake Chelios (0.65M) <--- let walk.
Dylan McIlrath (0.65M) <--- sign to AHL deal, outside of NHL limit.
Wade Megan (0.65M) <--- sign to AHL deal, outside of NHL limit

RFAs:

Martin Frk (1.05M) <--- let walk. Sign Joe Veleno to ELC replacing him.
Dylan Sadowy (0.88M) <--- let walk.
Axel Holmstrom (0.686M) <--- re-sign for NHL 2-way deal.
Dominic Turgeon (0.686M) <--- re-sign for NHL 2-way deal.
Libor Sulak (0.833M) <--- let walk. Sign 23-year old UFA Oliwer Kaski from Pelicans, Finland to replace him.
Joe Hicketts (0.635M) <--- re-sign for NHL 2-way deal. Good leader for the Griffs.

Goalies:

Patrik Rybar (0.925M) RFA <--- re-sign for NHL 2-way deal
Harri Sateri (0.75M) UFA <--- let walk, bring Larsson in with ELC.

Hmm... some spots were left open. Sign somebody or bring kids in with ELC.

You can do it with so many ways. Put guys from former NHL deal under AHL-only deal etc.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Just to add, here is a list of the players that the DRW's have the rights to but haven't signed:
Adams RW
Aubrey C
Berggren LW RW
Elfström LW RW
Gallant C
Gilmour C
Kadeykin C
Kivenmäki C
O'Reilly RW
Veleno C
Zablocki RW
Barton D
Fraser D
Holway D
Kotkansalo D
Malmström D
Regula D
Setkov D
Webb D
Brattström G
Eliasson G
Larsson G
Perry G
Petruzzelli G
Pottelberghe G

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
You can do it with so many ways. Put guys from former NHL deal under AHL-only deal etc.
But doesn't that have to be a GRG contract? Does that allow the Wings to pay the salary, and if not, does GRG have the $$?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
They have the cash for 6-7 vet contracts every year. Why would next year be any different?
They pay way less. You won't be able to stash good prospects just hopefuls. Grifs have 11 contracts and 3 of the Players are in Toledo

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
UFAs:

no- Thomas Vanek (3M)
yes, if he wants to - Niklas Kronwall (4.75M)
yes-Luke Witkowski (0.75M)
yes- Jake Chelios (0.65M)
yes- Dylan McIlrath (0.65M)
yes- Wade Megan (0.65M)

RFAs:

yes -Martin Frk (1.05M)
no -Dylan Sadowy (0.88M)
yes, if we can bury the contract with him in Europe. No if we can't - Axel Holmstrom (0.686M)
no- Dominic Turgeon (0.686M)
no- Libor Sulak (0.833M)
yes- Joe Hicketts (0.635M)

Goalies:

yes -Patrik Rybar (0.925M) RFA
no -Harri Sateri (0.75M) UFA

Other than Kronwall, I consider all of the "yes" players to be GR guys.

If Holmstrom goes back to Sweden, can he be tendered a contract but not counted against our contract limit? Just wondering if there's a funny rule with RFAs playing in Europe.
Almost 5M for Kronwall?! Umm why?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
UFAs:

To the best of my knowledge unless he signs in the KHL or a another league where there isn't a transfer agreement he would count against our 50 contract limit. That being said, I would like to see us re-sign him and I do believe he qualifies for a two-way qualifying offer, though the end result of him getting a one vs a two offer doesn't change much. Assuming he passes through waivers this would allow us to then loan him overseas and keep his rights. On another note I wasn't even aware that a "two qualifying offer" existed in the CBA so I may be misinterpreting it, but it seems like it's a seldomly used option.

Aside from Holmstrom there aren't any players that I would lose sleep over if we lost, even then I wouldn't lose sleep if we didn't re-sign him. I still have a soft spot for Holmstrom so I'd like to see us keep him rostered as I still think he could become a 3rd liner someday. Of those that are listed I'd probably re-sign the following players: Kronwall, Holmstrom, Hicketts, Turgeon, Frk, Sulak, and Rybar. I think we'd be at around 42-43 contracts if we-resigned those players giving us 7-8 open slots. In the end none of these players really matter and if we do re-sign any of them it's mostly for filling out the AHL team. The 2019-2020 Griffins won't have many players that have true NHL upside so you want the prospects that are there to have some talented players to fall back.

Reactions: Winger98

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
UFAs:

Thomas Vanek (3M) No
Niklas Kronwall (4.75M) If you do, 1 yr and much reduce rate
Luke Witkowski (0.75M) I do not have a problem resigning him.
Jake Chelios (0.65M) No
Dylan McIlrath (0.65M) Yes
Wade Megan (0.65M) Yes

RFAs:

Martin Frk (1.05M) Most likely looking elsewhere or goes back to Europe.
Dylan Sadowy (0.88M) No. Can not crack lineup in GR.
Axel Holmstrom (0.686M) No do not notice him in GR. Ends up back in Europe.
Dominic Turgeon (0.686M) Yes
Libor Sulak (0.833M) No. Can not adjust to NA style. Goes back to Europe.
Joe Hicketts (0.635M) Yes

Goalies:

Patrik Rybar (0.925M) RFA Yes
Harri Sateri (0.75M) UFA If Fulcher is not ready to move up to AHL, then resign him for another season.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Idk how willing Marty Frk will be to return to Europe, IIRC he's in a very serious relationship with a girl since Halifax.

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
Idk how willing Marty Frk will be to return to Europe, IIRC he's in a very serious relationship with a girl since Halifax.
That means nothing. Kyle Quincey is playing in Finland right now while his wife is giving birth to his child in Colorado. His mother in law is a friend of the family.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
How do you know about his serious relationships?
Because I've watched videos/interviews with them where they talked about their lives, in particular when he was waived by Detroit, then waived by Carolina, then re-acquired by Detroit.

Same reason when you asked if Taro Hirose was Japanese and I told you he's half.

That means nothing. Kyle Quincey is playing in Finland right now while his wife is giving birth to his child in Colorado. His mother in law is a friend of the family.
Depends on the guy, actually.
I think he can find a job in this country. He's 25 and still an extremely productive ahler.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Because I've watched videos/interviews with them where they talked about their lives, in particular when he was waived by Detroit, then waived by Carolina, then re-acquired by Detroit.

Same reason when you asked if Taro Hirose was Japanese and I told you he's half.

I think he can find a job in this country. He's 25 and still an extremely productive ahler.
Awesome videos to watch...:laugh::help:. But anyway Frk is nothing more than a hard slapper with zero accuracy. Career fringe nhler/ahler

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011

He can make more money by going back home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->