DRW HFPosters Draft History

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Cool thread.

I remember wanting Larkin at 15 when he was picked and if he wasnt there I wanted Jared Mccann. Hes an alright player but obviously happy with Larkin. I remember really thinking the Rasmussen draft was a crap shoot, I had no idea where Makar would go and kinda wanted him but didnt think it would happen. Svechnikovs draft I remember thinking there was a cluster of D that could be around, McAvoy and Chabot and Fabbro and Chychrun.

My big one was Mantha. I really wanted him to fall to the wings. I was at a party we had the draft on and I called him from pick one (so did one of my friends). 6'5 goal scorer all the way

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
I think I always give the Wings' scouts the benefit of the doubt considering how little I'll actually watch of these prospects. I'm more annoyed when prospects I'm hoping for get taken just before the Wings pick than when the Wings pass on a guy I was hoping for. As long as they get a chance at them, but opt to pass (like Chychrun, Vilardi, Necas) I don't really mind. It's worse when there's a chance they might actually get a Pettersson, Connor, or Barzal that end up going shortly before their pick comes up.

Reactions: Winger98

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think it's hard to say, people usually float a bunch of different names around, and then it ultimately depends how the draft plays out. Plus people usually change their minds a bunch leading up to the draft.

Really wish we started doing these threads earlier:

2017- http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2017-nhl-draft-you-make-the-picks.2362823/
2016- http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/who-would-you-have-drafted.2097183/

Probably the best way to lock people into 1 specific player.

Larkin was not my top choice in 2014, I want to say it was Fabbri or Sanheim, but it's hard to remember.

2015 I remember really wanting either Chabot or Svech, and then Chabot went the pick prior. But again, hard to go from memory.

2016 I believe I had Chychrun over Fabbro, but I had that cluster of McAvoy/Chychrun/Fabbro as all pretty even and loved the idea of getting 1 of them.
I wanted to move up in 2016 and draft Sergachev. Was also open to moving up to draft Juolevi. Sergachev is on pace to put up 10 goals and 40 points. Great trade Stevie! :yo:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
For me when we were picking I wanted:
2017: Vilardi
2016: Not sure picking Chychrun counts? Then I was hoping for one of Fabbro or Bellows and both went as well. I just remember being dissapointed
2015: White
2014: McCann

So yea... not a good track record.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I remember thinking Larkin was a really vanilla pick and wanting Tuch/ Milano really badly because they seemed to have the chance for being high end wingers where as Larkin's offense seemed capped.

I think in the end maybe the safe vanilla pick is the best outcome, and so far it has been, but Milano and Tuch are just in their first seasons essentially so we have to wait a bit longer.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I remember thinking Larkin was a really vanilla pick and wanting Tuch/ Milano really badly because they seemed to have the chance for being high end wingers where as Larkin's offense seemed capped.

I think in the end maybe the safe vanilla pick is the best outcome, and so far it has been, but Milano and Tuch are just in their first seasons essentially so we have to wait a bit longer.

For me it was all about centers.
I really liked they went so center-heavy that year.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
For me it was all about centers.
I really liked they went so center-heavy that year.
I don't disagree with you that they were right to try and grab some Cs, I think at the time I just felt that the Larkin pick would be drafting for need to an irrational extent. Like in the 1st round, especially within the top 20 or so (arbitrary), I think you absolutely have to take BPA.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't really follow this stuff every year so a lot of years I don't really have anyone in mind but for me it was:

2017: unhappy with Rasmussen pick,wanted Necas but would have been fine with Vilardi as well(and more than anything else I wanted Pettersson pretty badly here but obviously he didn't last long enough for that)
2016: didn't really want anyone specifically here,was fine with the whole trading down thing they did(although a bit pissed at Datsyuk for walking out on his contract like that) since I viewed(and still do) Chychrun as having a lack of upside
2015: didn't really pay much attention to the draft this year in general,had nobody specific in mind,liked the Svechnikov pick although to be entirely honest that was mostly just because i've gotten pretty fed up over the years with how utterly petrified the Wings have been of all things Russia when it comes to the draft
2014: unhappy with Larkin pick,wanted Fabbri
2013: wanted Shinkaruk but I liked the Mantha pick
2012: didn't really follow this draft,was pretty upset about throwing away the first rounder for Quincey of all people though
2011: didn't really follow this draft,don't remember how I felt about the whole trading down thing
2010: unhappy with Sheahan pick,wanted Kuznetsov

don't remember any drafts before that

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I didn’t know I actually wanted Larkin that year. Cool to see that, though, seeing as he’s my second favorite Wing now.

Normally I don’t care who we draft because if it’s not the top few the player is hit or miss and or rarely lives up to potential, and sometimes even the top picks don’t come out as planned unless it’s Crosby class. But I do remember wanting Mantha really badly. We hadn’t had his type of player on our team since prime Franzen. I believed Mantha was a real gem.

Still can’t really tell where his career will lead but he’ll be a prime 30G scorer.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'd be interested to know who I wanted to draft but I know that my post history has been rather spotty at times. If I recall I was really only happy in the recent drafts with the Mantha pick; even then I believe I wanted Hunter Shinkurak more and I was more than okay with the idea of trading back and getting 2 early 2nds for our pick.

I think my list would have been something like this:

2013: Shinkaruk/Mantha or trade down for combo of Theodore/Klimchuk/Dano/Zykov
2014: I really wanted Milano/McCann
2015: I think I wanted Konecny
2016: I think it was any of the dmen but I liked the Datsyuk trade
2017: Vilardi/Necas, did not like a single pick this draft

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I don't follow prospects so my reaction to picks is always wait and see. Except for last year. They had a golden opportunity with liljegren falling and completely f***ing blew it. But a lot of teams are going to regret that so I won't put too much blame on the front office for not picking him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad