DRW HFPosters Draft History

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Let me first say, I did this just for fun to see who "we" (HFBoards Red Wings fans) wanted each year. So i went through some old draft threads and recorded who wanted which prospects for the last 4 years. this should show what kind of mix we had. Note the "player choice" i have listed is from opinions stated BEFORE the draft selection was made.

docs (dot) google (dot) com/spreadsheets/d/1xL1vzWblmG16NxMWpKBtGh8U8iBBetEnuv5dqCEAJx8/edit#

Sorry cant post link directly:

General results is our choices would have been:

2017 - Vilardi
2016 - Chychrun
2015 - Svechnikov / Konecny / Colin White (pretty evenly between these 3)
2014 - Fabbri

P.S. I put in poster's names and who they like. If this is somehow against policy, someone let me know and i can erase all the names and just number the opinions.

Apologies to anyone who i got your choice wrong, this has only been compiled haphazardly :P

Last edited:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
It seems like Larkin was a slight surprise to most, if I remember right. Although, I think he was on everyone's shortlist.

Those who voted Colin White were dead wrong, but It would have been very hard to predict Svechnikov falling to us. Still, at this point, Konecny all freaking day.

Chychrun was taken by the time the Wings picked. It'll be interesting to see how Cholowski compares in the NHL.

Vilardi is right on track despite recovering from a recent injury, and although it's close, I think he still has the edge over Rasmussen.

Interesting finds! Thanks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it's hard to say, people usually float a bunch of different names around, and then it ultimately depends how the draft plays out. Plus people usually change their minds a bunch leading up to the draft.

Really wish we started doing these threads earlier:

2017- http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2017-nhl-draft-you-make-the-picks.2362823/
2016- http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/who-would-you-have-drafted.2097183/

Probably the best way to lock people into 1 specific player.

Larkin was not my top choice in 2014, I want to say it was Fabbri or Sanheim, but it's hard to remember.

2015 I remember really wanting either Chabot or Svech, and then Chabot went the pick prior. But again, hard to go from memory.

2016 I believe I had Chychrun over Fabbro, but I had that cluster of McAvoy/Chychrun/Fabbro as all pretty even and loved the idea of getting 1 of them.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
This is cool.

I wonder if the "wisdom of the crowd" will play out here where the aggregate decision of the masses tends to approximate reality. Or in our case, the best pick.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This is cool.

I wonder if the "wisdom of the crowd" will play out here where the aggregate decision of the masses tends to approximate reality. Or in our case, the best pick.

I was actually going to predict the opposite... that the crowd is wrong :P

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think it's hard to say, people usually float a bunch of different names around, and then it ultimately depends how the draft plays out. Plus people usually change their minds a bunch leading up to the draft.

Really wish we started doing these threads earlier:

2017- http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2017-nhl-draft-you-make-the-picks.2362823/
2016- http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/who-would-you-have-drafted.2097183/

Probably the best way to lock people into 1 specific player.

Larkin was not my top choice in 2014, I want to say it was Fabbri or Sanheim, but it's hard to remember.

2015 I remember really wanting either Chabot or Svech, and then Chabot went the pick prior. But again, hard to go from memory.

2016 I believe I had Chychrun over Fabbro, but I had that cluster of McAvoy/Chychrun/Fabbro as all pretty even and loved the idea of getting 1 of them.

For you Frk it.. i had your top choices as:

2017 - Vilardi
2016 - Chychrun
2015 - Roy
2014 - Milano

(and that is from the old HFBoards threads... but obviously i didnt read literally every post, so im not garaunteeing my recordings are correct)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I was actually going to predict the opposite... that the crowd is wrong :P
Oh I'm not making predictions on this. I know my knowledge of these draft picks is nil. All I know is what you guys say and what various websites say. I don't watch any of their games or anything.

I'm just curious as to how it plays out in a few years after a redraft. I think it's probably a couple years too early to decide that right now.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
btw this thread is also in response to a comment in another thread about how "picking Larkin was an easy obvious choice". I would like everyone to know that only:

three people wanted Larkin:
drw02
France Nielsen
and wings95 (tuch/larkin)(from his comment i cant tell who he would have picked between these 2)

So only 2.5 users Picked Larkin out of 21 Posters who i recorded their positions.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Oh I'm not making predictions on this. I know my knowledge of these draft picks is nil. All I know is what you guys say and what various websites say. I don't watch any of their games or anything.

I'm just curious as to how it plays out in a few years after a redraft. I think it's probably a couple years too early to decide that right now.

Oh totally agree.. I would have to go back much further to start getting into who is "right/wrong". Mostly i wanted to relook up how much support svechnikov/Larkin had at the time.

2016/2017 i think is way too early for conclussions.

this would be best done 2008-2012 maybe.

(I am not sure if i would want to do this, but if anyone else does, I will give you editable access to my data sheet :P )

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The 16 draft is the only NHL draft I ever had where I was ecstatic about a pick. God, I wanted Chychrun here if only because he was hailed as the top pick like six months prior and he was there at 16.

I've had feelings like that about the NFL draft (Santana Moss at WR, Drew Brees at QB) but that's the only time I've ever been super excited about a pick. Then, they handled the trade and while I was annoyed... at the time it was made as a prelude to running at Stamkos so I couldn't be that mad.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For you Frk it.. i had your top choices as:

2017 - Vilardi
2016 - Chychrun
2015 - Roy
2014 - Milano

(and that is from the old HFBoards threads... but obviously i didnt read literally every post, so im not garaunteeing my recordings are correct)

I started paying a lot more attention to the draft these last 2 years, before that I don't know that I really narrowed down who I wanted all that well to be honest. I know in the Svech thread and Mantha thread I said I loved those picks.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
btw this thread is also in response to a comment in another thread about how "picking Larkin was an easy obvious choice". I would like everyone to know that only:

three people wanted Larkin:
drw02
France Nielsen
and wings95 (tuch/larkin)(from his comment i cant tell who he would have picked between these 2)

So only 2.5 users Picked Larkin out of 21 Posters who i recorded their positions.
I'll be the first to admit that I absolutely hated the Larkin pick. I hate the Rasmussen pick more, but Larkin is my second least favorite pick ever. Man was I wrong. Though Fabbri (especially if not for injuries) would have been a good pick.

Also to the OP if you want to fill my board out I'd say it should be Fabbri in 2014 and Necas/Vilardi last year. I don't even really remember wanting White, but in 2015 I didn't have any super strong preferences that I do remember so I'm fine with White. Swing and a miss on that one.

Last edited:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I started paying a lot more attention to the draft these last 2 years, before that I don't know that I really narrowed down who I wanted all that well to be honest. I know in the Svech thread and Mantha thread I said I loved those picks.

I'll be the first to admit that I absolutely hated the Larkin pick. I hate the Rasmussen pick more, but Larkin is my second least favorite pick ever. Man was I wrong. Though Fabbri (especially if not for injuries) would have been a good pick.

to be clear, i wasn't trying to call out anyone specifically over their choices. But sometimes its fun to see what choices were made in the past.

I myself never follow prospects well enough to even have a "competent pick".
this year might be different, as we have little to cheer for besides the draft :P

My main point from this exercise was to kinda show that sometimes we pick a homerun, sometimes a bust.
But fans do the same.

We should really appreciate all the NHL players we draft wherever we draft them, because failure in a pick is a real risk always.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My main point from this exercise was to kinda show that sometimes we pick a homerun, sometimes a bust.
But fans do the same.

We should really appreciate all the NHL players we draft wherever we draft them, because failure in a pick is a real risk always.

For sure. If you lock yourself into 1 player and track your results, you see how crazy difficult it really is.

I think it's cool you did this, I was just trying to clarify.

Reactions: BinCookin

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
to be clear, i wasn't trying to call out anyone specifically over their choices. But sometimes its fun to see what choices were made in the past.

I myself never follow prospects well enough to even have a "competent pick".
this year might be different, as we have little to cheer for besides the draft :P

But fans do the same.

Yeah that's fair enough. I do think we should hold our scouting staff to a higher standard than HF posters. I personally follow the draft pretty heavily and get pretty invested in certain picks which will make me look pretty dumb sometimes, but that's totally fine. To scout perfectly would require the ability to see the future, and I'm excited to own mistakes like Larkin.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah that's fair enough. I do think we should hold our scouting staff to a higher standard than HF posters. I personally follow the draft pretty heavily and get pretty invested in certain picks which will make me look pretty dumb sometimes, but that's totally fine. To scout perfectly would require the ability to see the future, and I'm excited to own mistakes like Larkin.

I mean, when you really think of it... in the top 15-20 picks, there are really only about 30 guys being considered by all teams for those slots. Yes, technically they could take anyone... but teams really don't tend to drift too far from the board in the top 30 picks. The order is different, but a guy like Nyquist in his draft year would never be considered for a 1st round selection and a guy with Mantha's pedigree would really never fall too far past where he did.

And hell, there is realistically about 6-8 guys you are targeting at any certain pick. Like you'd not be thinking Heiskanen or Hischier with the 8th or 9th pick. They were gone by then. You're thinking about moving up to get them if you want them.

It's a little bit like a football team that starts out with a no-huddle script for the first drive or two of the game. You generally know exactly what you will do, but a sack or something unforeseen can alter it, but you will stick to the script pretty tightly... but as the game goes on, you're not able to follow any kind of scripted series of plays. I care what a guy does with 2nd and later picks rather than the 1st round. The first round is where you get your best players but it's also by far the most beat up part of the draft by every single scouting crew in existence.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I can tell you the guys I wanted each year, for better or worse:

2018: Boqvist or Hughes
2017: Vilardi
2016: McAvoy then Fabbro
2015: Chabot
2014: McCann
2013: Burakovsky
2012: Maata
2011: Namestnikov or Puempel
2010: Watson
2009: Ryan O’Reilly
2008: Tikhonov

So, mixed back there.

Obviously some of those guys were gone when we picked.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Here's who liked Larkin in the Detroit Draft Day thread on Larkin

Happy
@redwingsprospect
@Tips_Fedorov (2nd choice)
@joe89
@SoupNazi
@Bobby12345
@Zetterberg4Captain
@Chance_on_Chance
@Vladdy84
@Konnan511
@zecke26 - had a couple guys ahead, but satisfied
@Claypool
@Fire_Ken_Holland
@DetroitRed
@tfong - liked it but wanted Milano
@Spitfire11
@Vladdy84
@Hckytwn
@FlashyG
@DetBigWangs
@silkyjohnson50
@SimplySolace - I think
@Roy_S
@Pavels_Dg
@Kronwalled55
@The_Zetterberg_Era - "We are building a nightmare transition team" Got that right LOL
@Bench
@KJoe88
@Red_Winger_87
@Schultzfeelinirie20 - babysat larkin
@goalie_guy
@YostisHome
@InjuredChoker

Unsure/can't tell
@DatsDeking
@We_like_our_team
@The_Geelee
@sully61 -- Starts negative but is positive by the end of the day
@ChadS

Unhappy
@Frik_It --- Seems to warm up to the idea within minutes of voicing displeasure
@DetroitWINgs - Seems to warm up as the thread goes on
@Shaman484
@Boomhower
@Robbler - not sure if he disliked it, but wanted Scherbak
@Point_shot

I didn't venture beyond June 27.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I can tell you the guys I wanted each year, for better or worse:

2018: Boqvist or Hughes
2017: Vilardi
2016: McAvoy then Fabbro
2015: Chabot
2014: McCann
2013: Burakovsky
2012: Maata
2011: Namestnikov or Puempel
2010: Watson
2009: Ryan O’Reilly
2008: Tikhonov

So, mixed back there.

Obviously some of those guys were gone when we picked.

Here's who I wanted
17 - Vilardi
16 - Rubtsov (after we traded down). Fabbro before that.
15 - Roslovic
14 - Larkin
13 - Don't remember, but it might have been Mueller. I remember being glad we didn't get Rychel.
12 - Namestnikov (before they traded down).
11 - Kuznetsov -
Not sure about anything before that.

I remember wanting Tikhonov, too.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Here's who liked Larkin in the Detroit Draft Day thread on Larkin

Happy
@redwingsprospect
@Tips_Fedorov (2nd choice)
@joe89
@SoupNazi
@Bobby12345
@Zetterberg4Captain
@Chance_on_Chance
@Vladdy84
@Konnan511
@zecke26 - had a couple guys ahead, but satisfied
@Claypool
@Fire_Ken_Holland
@DetroitRed
@tfong - liked it but wanted Milano
@Spitfire11
@Vladdy84
@Hckytwn
@FlashyG
@DetBigWangs
@silkyjohnson50
@SimplySolace - I think
@Roy_S
@Pavels_Dg
@Kronwalled55
@The_Zetterberg_Era - "We are building a nightmare transition team" Got that right LOL
@Bench
@KJoe88
@Red_Winger_87
@Schultzfeelinirie20 - babysat larkin
@goalie_guy
@YostisHome
@InjuredChoker

Unsure/can't tell
@DatsDeking
@We_like_our_team
@The_Geelee
@sully61 -- Starts negative but is positive by the end of the day
@ChadS

Unhappy
@Frik_It --- Seems to warm up to the idea within minutes of voicing displeasure
@DetroitWINgs - Seems to warm up as the thread goes on
@Shaman484
@Boomhower
@Robbler - not sure if he disliked it, but wanted Scherbak
@Point_shot

I didn't venture beyond June 27.

Although I didnt comment at the time I will admit to being unsure of the pick. Once I saw him play at the WJC I was estatic about the pick.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Curious where I would have fallen in some of these years. As Frk It points out so much of this is how the draft is going.

I was a Fabbri over Larkin guy. I think I spent most of that year on my Draisaitl man crush and bummed we weren't going to get him but wanting him badly.

I was Necas when we were picking last year

I will have my list this year but again I have to stress I really like all the guys I have in my top 9.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
ClI will have my list this year but again I have to stress I really like all the guys I have in my top 9.

Same. I’m really having a hard time narrowing it down. I’m cautiously optimistic we are mostly going to be happy with our pick this year as a whole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->