Prospect Info: DRW Development Camp - July 6-10, 2016

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I wish he was going to a bigger college program with a less crowded back end. But at least they have a good coach.

I'm good with St. Cloud. They stay competitive in a strong conference and Motzko & company always seem to get the best from their players. Something tells me the competition on the blueline will elevate The Dude's game.

Plus, there's not much to do in St. Cloud but focus on hockey.

Last edited:

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
I attended Sunday's scrimmage too and came away impressed with Saarijarvi and Cholowski. I think both will have great seasons this year. And I really don't see it taking Choloski 3-4 years at SCSU to be AHL ready. He needs to get bigger / stronger, but I could see him making the jump after his sophomore year...if he wanted. He's just so technically polished and has a really high hockey IQ.

Saarijarvi has a lot of offensive potential. Great 4-way skating ability and is a skilled stickhandler and passer. He will put up big numbers this year in juniors.

Forwards looked meh. Bertuzzi didn't play, Svechnikov looked mediocre (as a comparison Mantha looked much better in every prospect camp I saw him in), but Sadowy looked good. Not sure on his upside, seems like a gritty, bottom six type that can chip in offense.

Oh and Kirwin (spelling?) looked good. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a contract with a good prospect tournament.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm good with St. Cloud. They stay competitive in a strong conference and Motzko & company always seem to get the best from their players. Something tells me the competition on the blueline will elevate The Dude's game.

Plus, there's not much to do in St. Cloud but focus on hockey.

St. Cloud has been a very solid program for the last decade. College hockey has changed a lot. I may be biased, but the NCHC is a better conference than the Big 10 at this point. If it is not better it is at least an older conference than the Big 10. Either way, Cholo will be playing and practicing against good competition.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I actually have a big problem with Cholo going to St. Cloud.

When the best NHL player your school has produced in its 60(+) years of existence is Frank Brimsek back in 1938 we have a problem.

A first round pick should not be playing at some second rate hockey school (And yes St. Cloud is second rate, there few recent Tournament appearances mean jack ****) Yeah sure Motzko is an all right coach but Cholo should be playing somewhere with a bit more pedigree. Having to sit behind D that aren't even going to make the ECHL is also really disappointing.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

When the best NHL player your school has produced in its 60(+) years of existence is Frank Brimsek back in 1938 we have a problem.

A first round pick should not be playing at some second rate hockey school (And yes St. Cloud is second rate, there few recent Tournament appearances mean jack ****) Yeah sure Motzko is an all right coach but Cholo should be playing somewhere with a bit more pedigree. Having to sit behind D that aren't even going to make the ECHL is also really disappointing.

Shayne Gostisbehere is the only notable NHL players/prospect to come out of Union, too. I guess he sucks?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Shayne Gostisbehere is the only notable NHL players/prospect to come out of Union, too. I guess he sucks?

I think it's more about playing the odds rather than looking for an outlier. You found an outlier. True. But his reservations come from a foundation of likelihood, which is reasonable.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
What about careers in relation to draft position? I have no idea where SCSU would stand in that comparison but I do know that Cholo is the first 1st round pick to play for them. Top prospects don't always play for the absolute best teams.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What about careers in relation to draft position? I have no idea where SCSU would stand in that comparison but I do know that Cholo is the first 1st round pick to play for them. Top prospects don't always play for the absolute best teams.

I don't think it matters as much today as it used to, but there's a long history supporting the idea that if you want to develop a college player, they should be on the elite teams. I'm not going to pretend to predict The Big Cholowski's trajectory based on college, but I get where people are coming from, and like I said, I think it's a reasonable point of concern for the franchise's new top defensive prospect.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I can see Cholo in Grand Rapids after 2 years..would rather he play in the CHL but the Wings may like him going the college route

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I can see Cholo in Grand Rapids after 2 years..would rather he play in the CHL but the Wings may like him going the college route

If you aren't playing in the CHL by your draft year and are not physically mature, you should not move to the CHL post-draft. Physically under developed guys like Cholo will be better served by the practice-game ratio and longer window of NCAA hockey.

If Cholo is as good as everyone says he is, SCSU's defensive depth won't be an issue for him.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't think it matters as much today as it used to, but there's a long history supporting the idea that if you want to develop a college player, they should be on the elite teams. I'm not going to pretend to predict The Big Cholowski's trajectory based on college, but I get where people are coming from, and like I said, I think it's a reasonable point of concern for the franchise's new top defensive prospect.

He is going to SCSU, he is not going to Bemidji or Air Force or Mercyhurst or Merrimack or UAH or Lake State, etc. Welcome to 2016 where SCSU is one of the better programs in DI hockey and Wisco, Michigan and Michigan State have become also rans and MN has become a **** show.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015

Not saying Cholo can't be successful, I think he's a fine prospect with good potential. Not saying he's a bust/sucks etc. Playing at a "second rate" hockey school on a crowded blueline with no clear NHLers blocking his path is concerning. I think he has the ability to play at a very high level even at a much better school.

They have 29 NHL alumni. These are just some notable draft positions. Most of the rest were drafted, mainly later. A few undrafted.

The only real player of note from this list is Matt Cullen. They've had one Hobey Baker winner, Drew LeBlanc 2013.

Top prospects don't always play for the best teams but coaching and level of competition are important. He can do much better in both those departments somewhere else. My guess is he didn't get any great looks a few years ago and took what he could get and then his game blew up afterwards, especially after this year. That would make total sense but maybe the FO will push for a move although I highly doubt it.

This is exactly what I am trying to say. IMO, with the landscape of college hockey if you're one of the best you should be playing with the best. Besides North Dakota and Denver, the competition isn't the best in the NCHC. Coaching is extremely important and the elite/upper echelon teams have the best coaching. He might as well go play in the CHL or even the AHL, although I don't think it's possible.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
:laugh: Cholowski committed to St. Cloud State in 2014, well well well before he started rising on people's radar. I'm not worried about that, he's got solid coaching and good competition to push him and play against.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If you aren't playing in the CHL by your draft year and are not physically mature, you should not move to the CHL post-draft. Physically under developed guys like Cholo will be better served by the practice-game ratio and longer window of NCAA hockey.

This. Less game wear, more time to build physique.

Obvious good decisions people try to turn bad things because everything must be bad at this summer in our organization.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He is going to SCSU, he is not going to Bemidji or Air Force or Mercyhurst or Merrimack or UAH or Lake State, etc. Welcome to 2016 where SCSU is one of the better programs in DI hockey and Wisco, Michigan and Michigan State have become also rans and MN has become a **** show.

I feel like your response is sassier than required because I did preface my statement with "I don't think it matters as much today as it used to..." which I deliberately started the sentence to address you welcoming me to 2016.

I don't even have a dog in this fight, I was trying to create understanding of the viewpoint by another poster. I think it's a reasonable viewpoint. Reasonable and understandable doesn't mean he's right or will be right. He even admitted it might not matter. But isn't that the basis of discussion? I like to think so.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Not saying Cholo can't be successful, I think he's a fine prospect with good potential. Not saying he's a bust/sucks etc. Playing at a "second rate" hockey school on a crowded blueline with no clear NHLers blocking his path is concerning. I think he has the ability to play at a very high level even at a much better school.

They have 29 NHL alumni. These are just some notable draft positions. Most of the rest were drafted, mainly later. A few undrafted.

The only real player of note from this list is Matt Cullen. They've had one Hobey Baker winner, Drew LeBlanc 2013.

Top prospects don't always play for the best teams but coaching and level of competition are important. He can do much better in both those departments somewhere else. My guess is he didn't get any great looks a few years ago and took what he could get and then his game blew up afterwards, especially after this year. That would make total sense but maybe the FO will push for a move although I highly doubt it.

This is exactly what I am trying to say. IMO, with the landscape of college hockey if you're one of the best you should be playing with the best. Besides North Dakota and Denver, the competition isn't the best in the NCHC. Coaching is extremely important and the elite/upper echelon teams have the best coaching. He might as well go play in the CHL or even the AHL, although I don't think it's possible.

Miami, UNO and UMD are all quality programs that have a handful of NHL picks on their rosters each year. This notion that his development will be stunted because he selected SCSU is laughable. Oh, and if SCSU sucks so badly, why are we so concerned about him being buried on the depth chart?

At this point his only realistic options would be to go play in the BCHL or USHL for another year before heading to a different school or playing in Prince ****ing George. Somehow we are concerned about his college selection but not the black hole of an organization that holds his CHL rights.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I feel like your response is sassier than required because I did preface my statement with "I don't think it matters as much today as it used to..." which I deliberately started the sentence to address you welcoming me to 2016.

I don't even have a dog in this fight, I was trying to create understanding of the viewpoint by another poster. I think it's a reasonable viewpoint. Reasonable and understandable doesn't mean he's right or will be right. He even admitted it might not matter. But isn't that the basis of discussion? I like to think so.

It is the summer and people are on the war path for things to ***** about because the big club is in decline. I think that is a recipe for disaster around these parts. I could not care less about SCSU as a school or hockey program but it sure as hell isn't going to hold Cholo back one bit in his development.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

If Cholo is as good as everyone says he is, SCSU's defensive depth won't be an issue for him.

You mean like Saarijarvi?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Miami, UNO and UMD are all quality programs that have a handful of NHL picks on their rosters each year. This notion that his development will be stunted because he selected SCSU is laughable. Oh, and if SCSU sucks so badly, why are we so concerned about him being buried on the depth chart?

Because he is very undeveloped physically, so these guys that are 21-24 years old could play over him not because they are better, but because they are more physically ready.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
There's no guarantee that he touches the ice this fall..and if he does gets hardly any ice time..lots of sophs and juniors on that team

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.

Brett Hedican, Mark Parrish are a couple of notable NHL players that played at St. Cloud. Both had nice careers. He'll face some good competition that should help him develop. Dekyser developed fine at Western Michigan. I don't see St. Cloud being any different.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
You mean like Saarijarvi?

He is an interesting case. If I was him and didn't have any interest in playing NCAA hockey, I would have bypassed the USHL and moved directly to the CHL from Finland. I can't recall if he was taken in the import draft or not.

Maybe you aren't, but I am very concerned about what we do with him after this year if he doesn't show meaningful physical development. He needs to get much stronger before hitting the AHL and there aren't many other places to stash him after this year.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Because he is very undeveloped physically, so these guys that are 21-24 years old could play over him not because they are better, but because they are more physically ready.

If SCSU didn't think he had any shot at playing this season they would have brought him in 17-18 as originally intended. I agree that other underdeveloped prospects have struggled with what you are describing. Those guys, however, weren't first round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad