DRW Captain Appreciation Thread

tsbilly

May 20, 2012
I was born in 1980 and first started watching/listening to hockey during 1986/1987[In the olden days, radio was the only way to experience some games :)]

Not in my life, but in my hockey memory, the Red Wings have only had three captains. Each one has been an absolute Beast of a hockey player. Yzerman to Lidstrom to Zetterberg.

Is there a better three captain run in hockey history?

All three: Stanley Cup(s) and Conn Smythe, as well as many other lesser accolades and awesomeness too numerous to repeat. (Yzerman and Zetterberg missing out on the Calder? History would disagree.)

Let me repeat: Each of our last three Captain's have won a Conn Smythe Trophy. Something is surely right about this organization.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
They're 3 of my 4 favorite players in NHL history. Yzerman is one, and I can't quite figure out where to rank Z, Lidas, and Shanny for the 2-4 spots. But we've been so very lucky to have these 3 guys over the last 30 years.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Is there a better three captain run in hockey history?

Well... Penguins has had a pretty sick Captain run från 87-14

Lemieux
Francis
Lemieux
Francis
Jagr
Lemieux
Crosby

That is 4 players though..

That said, Wings have been blessed with fantastic captains

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Lemieux
Francis
Lemieux
Francis
Jagr
Lemieux
Crosby

That said, Wings have been blessed with fantastic captains

Those are great players, but it looks better for Detroit, IMO, because there was no dark period where the team was bad enough to draft a 1st overall player.

Falls a lot on ownership and stuff away from the ice, but I feel like Detroit has more of a tradition/ legacy/ whatever buzzword you want to use with their run of captains, in this instance.

edit: realized I didn't address "dead things" era. Before people jump on me about Yzerman's start to the NHL, I will amend my post to say Detroit's "timing" is more impressive.

They were bad, got Yzerman, grew from there, started trending towards a more winning tradition, was cemented by Lidstrom's emergence, and has been carried over by Z. The first 2 have won cups as captains. Now we need to get Z one as the C.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
im very happy to see his back is ok lol what a couple of games:)

cant wait for D to be back and to the fans have not been here cause after the 1-1-1 start on the main's some people were trying to sell the entire team.

Have faith lol is a good team healthy maybe a great team.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario

Lemieux
Francis
Lemieux
Francis
Jagr
Lemieux
Crosby