Drouin vs Nylander

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No, I said he could take over a game like few can. That doesn't at all imply Nylander can't take over a game, just that Drouin can do it better.

Can you quantify this in any way? Nylander was MVP of a world tournament at age 21 and tied Gretzky's record for points for that age. Being able to take over a tournament like Gretzky says more to me than what you're saying. He was also completely dominant in the playoffs and has a case for the best forward in that series

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
As a Leafs fan it's a wash to me. I have no doubt that Nylander will have more points than Drouin in the foreseeable future but he's on a far better team offensively than Drouin. Playing on Matthews' line is quite the advantage.

If Drouin was on the Leafs I'd feel Drouin would have the better outlook so yeah, a wash.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Can you quantify this in any way? Nylander was MVP of a world tournament at age 21 and tied Gretzky's record for points for that age. Being able to take over a tournament like Gretzky says more to me than what you're saying. He was also completely dominant in the playoffs and has a case for the best forward in that series

I am stating this as my opinion based on my viewings of each player. The level I saw from Drouin in the 15-16 playoffs vs the Penguins was a higher level than anything I've seen from Nylander. That's not a knock on Nylander - if Drouin could maintain that level of play he'd be in the tier just below McDavid.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's got to be Nylander.

Has proven more offensively, higher chance at transitioning over to centre, and is a monster of a possession player.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I am stating this as my opinion based on my viewings of each player. The level I saw from Drouin in the 15-16 playoffs vs the Penguins was a higher level than anything I've seen from Nylander. That's not a knock on Nylander - if Drouin could maintain that level of play he'd be in the tier just below McDavid.

Well I disagree unless you missed Nylander's playoffs + WHC. But even so, I still don't see the logic to base your whole opinion on 1 playoff series

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Even though I watched almost every single Leafs game last year, I kind of forgot just how insanely talented Nylander is. The more I see his highlights and the more I dig into his underlying metrics (elite possession + elite zone entries + elite passing leading to shots + elite shot generation + awful oISH%), the more I can see him easily crossing the 30+ goals & 40+ assists threshold this year to separate himself from the Drouin/Aho/Galchenyuk/etc comparisons and put himself in the Top 10F league wide conversation. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but don't be surprised if he and Matthews form one of the most lethal duos in the league next year.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Both are going to be superstar player.

Now : Nylander.

Future : I don't know. Drouin is going to be a amazing too... he got really amazing talent like Nylander, in 2013 Draft, i like him more than MacKinnon (Barkov my favorite). Drouin playing with player like Boyle, Namestnikov, Filppula etc...

It's pretty equal to me. Two very talented player, very great hockey IQ, i really like both...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well I disagree unless you missed Nylander's playoffs + WHC. But even so, I still don't see the logic to base your whole opinion on 1 playoff series

If you were to read my posts in this thread, you'd see that I am not basing my "whole opinion" on 1 playoff series.

You seem intent on putting words in my mouth so I think I am done discussing this with you.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ok Drouin is not as bad as this poll indicates.

How does the poll indicate drouin is bad... nylander and drouin are pretty close talent wise, potential and now.... all this poll indicates is more people are comfortable nylander is/will be better option.

That being said id take drouin personally.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tough one. I'll take Drouin by a hair - I feel like he'll struggle with consistency but when he's on he can take a game over like few can. His performance in the 15-16 playoffs vs the Penguins was unbelievable.

Drouin is a grittier, faster player with an equal level of skill, Nylander has more hockey sense. I dont think this poll should be so one sided but I understand why based on how their careers have gone thus far. I think that it could be anyones guess as to who ends up the better player, as a sens fan I am jealous of both the Habs and Leafs. If either players manages to switchs to center it will make them more valuable and I think both organizations are hoping they can do so.

Good poll and the results arent suprising, I personally like Drouin more but they are both fantastic talents.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Drouin is a grittier, faster player with an equal level of skill, Nylander has more hockey sense. I dont think this poll should be so one sided but I understand why based on how their careers have gone thus far. I think that it could be anyones guess as to who ends up the better player, as a sens fan I am jealous of both the Habs and Leafs. If either players manages to switchs to center it will make them more valuable and I think both organizations are hoping they can do so.

Good poll and the results arent suprising, I personally like Drouin more but they are both fantastic talents.

Nylander has the better shot IMO,his wrister is filthy

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Lol what have you done for me lately

Drouin is on another level

Literally everything has pointed to Nylander being better so far in their respective careers. He has a much better chance at being a C, and he's a year younger.

Hold on to one great play though.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I think they will both have dominant seasons this year. I like Drouin and think he has superstar potential but I'm going Nylander here.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Lol what have you done for me lately

Drouin is on another level

Ok... instead of using "lately"...would you rather use Drouin's 32 points in 70 games as a rookie compared to Nylander's 61 points as a rookie?

Or would you rather use the half season where Drouin literally benched himself?

Nylander is so much better. Drouin has been underwhelming for where he was picked.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Long term either could end up the better player and it shouldn't surprise anyone. Right now though judging from what we've seen from both, it should be Nylander without a doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->