Value of: Drouin trades

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Who's your starting goalie again?

Oh yah, a guy thay plays 1 game out of 2, and you paid through the roof.

Keep trying to tradr your plugs like Kadri and JTC like if anyone wanted them!
I’m quite excited to add Kuemper. He’ll be excellent in Colorado behind such an amazing team defense. Avs are excellent at shot suppression and limiting high danger chances. He was 92% save % in Arizona. He could be 93% in Colorado.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I would argue that Drouin has strong potential to turn his value positive if he paces at top-6 production (50+ point pace - historical production when healthy) and a healthy state of mind.

I don't think JTC has the potential turn his negative value into a positive given his skill set.

Habs can't trade Drouin atm. He has to return, healthy, and play some hockey before a trade can be considered.
That’s a strange thing to argue on a player that went and still is AWOL because of mental health reasons. Habs completely broke that player. You’ll eat him alive during his next 8 game pointless streak. Drouin’s biggest value to the Habs, by far, is your ability to throw him back on LTIR.

jTC has a hollow game. He’s pretty good on the PK because he’s a good skater and plays hard. He’s overpaid for being a meh bottom six C. His defense is ahead of his hollow offense.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I’m quite excited to add Kuempher. He’ll be excellent in Colorado behind such an amazing team defense. Avs are excellent at shot suppression and limiting high danger chances. He was 92% save % in Arizona. He could be 93% in Colorado.
I've said it all along that the Avs achilles heel has always been reliable goaltending when it matters most. Sakic paid a premium for a goaltender that has that potential, when healthy.

I also maintained that Connor Timmins was concussion liability and his value was diminished as a result of it. I believe this was also validated.

Avs fans shouldn't be up in arms as much as they are. On paper it was an overpayment. But it was in a position of need. Grubs was not the guy you win pressure games with.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That’s a strange thing to argue on a player that went and still is AWOL because of mental health reasons. Habs completely broke that player. You’ll eat him alive during his next 8 game pointless streak. Drouin’s biggest value to the Habs, by far, is your ability to throw him back on LTIR.

Mental health issues are difficult to predict and quantify. If healthy (big If), then Drouin can pace 50+ points as he has done in the past. But i can't argue he WILL return healthy in Montreal. Time will tell. If he isn't healthy, then LTIR. So i agree with you.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I've said it all along that the Avs achilles heel has always been reliable goaltending when it matters most. Sakic paid a premium for a goaltender that has that potential, when healthy.

I also maintained that Connor Timmins was concussion liability and his value was diminished as a result of it. I believe this was also validated.

Avs fans shouldn't be up in arms as much as they are. On paper it was an overpayment. But it was in a position of need. Grubs was not the guy you win pressure games with.
I’m fine with the trade. I’d have given the first for Kuemper without hesitation. That’s Avs friendly value for a good 1G at $3.5mm. To bridge the value gap, the Avs added/traded a creative, poor skating, great passing young RHD with concussion concerns. It’s a reasonable trade.

avs have two very good young RHD in their prospect pool. Helleson and Justin Barron. Those guys both carry more value than Timmins. They just added a very good LHD in round 2 of the 2021 draft. Avs are fine when it comes to having good defense up and down their roster.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I’m fine with the trade. I’d have given the first for Kuemper without hesitation. That’s Avs friendly value for a good 1G at $3.5mm. To bridge the value gap, the Avs added/traded a creative, poor skating, great passing young RHD with concussion concerns. It’s a reasonable trade.
If your goal is to win a cup, then i would be very happy with the trade. Kuemper gives the Avs a good chance of providing the type of goaltending you need to win a cup. Health is the only potential concern. It cracks me up when Avs fans lose sight of the prize. I think it was denial that goaltending was an achilles heel or overrating Timmins who really didn't have the kind of value Avs fans believed he had.

Avs are a better team after this trade. Goaltending is immensely important in the playoffs.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yeah I think Drouin is in that category of guys you’re going to have to pay someone to take off your hands. It’s not to say the player is bad but that the questions plus the contract outweigh whatever on-ice value there is.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If your goal is to win a cup, then i would be very happy with the trade. Kuemper gives the Avs a good chance of providing the type of goaltending you need to win a cup. Health is the only potential concern. It cracks me up when Avs fans lose sight of the prize. I think it was denial that goaltending was an achilles heel or overrating Timmins who really didn't have the kind of value Avs fans believed he had.

Avs are a better team after this trade. Goaltending is immensely important in the playoffs.
Like you have with Msssers, Avs have some hyperbolic morons fans in this site that can’t grasp value or evaluate their team without extreme bias. The trade wasn’t some value home run for Sakic like Toews for two picks around ~60 overall. But it was pretty reasonable price to pay for a 1G that has reached very high levels of play when healthy.

avs have, without question, the best transition defense in the league. Grubs couldn’t handle a puck for ish, but Keumper is much better at it. Can’t wait to see our goalie compliment his defenders with good puck handling behind and around his net. I bet 80% of the Avs fan base hasn’t even had a thought like that. If healthy, Avs just upgraded their goalie situation for $3.5mm in cap space. We add a 2023 3rd if he wins the cup next year. I’ll really be annoyed by that???

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Like you have with Msssers, Avs have some hyperbolic morons fans in this site that can’t grasp value or evaluate their team without extreme bias. The trade wasn’t some value with for Sakic like Toews for two picks are 60 overall. But it was pretty reasonable price to pay for a 1G that has reached very high levels of play when healthy.
Not everyone can be as enlightened as me. :D

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Not everyone can be as enlightened as me. :D
You weren’t responsible for any of those
Tatar for Byram+ or

Drouin for Girard and a 2nd rounder… threads were you?

The Habs have more than a few of their own bozo fans.

I can check you know. The internets history lives on forever.

For the sake of transparency, I hope the Avs sign Tatar for one year.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Drouin off the ice is miles better than JTC on it. LOL

No one wants JTC. And i mean no one! You gott bet that Sakic was begging teams to take him.

New Rule - there should be a moratorium on all JTC to Montreal proposals because its trash.
Unfortunately I don't think Sakic is as desperate to drop Compher as Avs fans. In fact I think Bednar and Sakic both like him.

Last edited:

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
ok wait a minute,. is drouin on IR or not? is he still getting paid? if he just stays home in Sept does he still get paid? if he is NOT on LTIR getting paid by INS and off cap space or not? we all dont know what is going on with him, drugs? NO/YES ok if not, mental problems? NO/YES, if not WHAT????????? Was he arrested for bank robbery? YES/NO, Joined Al-Qaeda? YES/NO, is it an alien abduction case YES/NO. It's time for Drouin to speak out.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We need center depth so I'm very reluctantly and with tears...trade Drouin for Kadri.

Av fans can stay out of this because I'm about to be ankle bitten by Hab fans....:laugh:

Why the f*** would Colorado trade Kadri for Drouin

Once again for the people in the back, DROUIN IS A NEGATIVE VALUE ASSET. He is a cap dump.

You're not getting a #2C on a fantastic cap hit for a cap dump.

What the hell

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city

Once again for the people in the back, DROUIN IS A NEGATIVE VALUE ASSET. He is a cap dump.

What the hell

As a Montreal fan, I gotta say: You're absolutely right.

What the hell!

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Drouin is a horrible contract at 2 x $5.5mm. JTC is a horrible contract at 2 x $3.5mm. The equal term is the only thing that makes this trade feasible.

the only offers Drouin would fetch are swaps of bad contracts in a change of scenery deal.
Drouin still has skills to play in the top6 and contribute. His contract isn't good, but he can still put on 45-55pts a year

JTC is just terrible and sucks at evetything

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You weren’t responsible for any of those
Tatar for Byram+ or

Drouin for Girard and a 2nd rounder… threads were you?

The Habs have more than a few of their own bozo fans.

I can check you know. The internets history lives on forever.

For the sake of transparency, I hope the Avs sign Tatar for one year.
I would never lower myself to such absurdity!

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Drouin still has skills to play in the top6 and contribute. His contract isn't good, but he can still put on 45-55pts a year

JTC is just terrible and sucks at evetything
Drouin played 0 playoff games for you. JTC played in all 10 for the Avs. Availability matters. Drouin hates playing in Montreal. It legit broke him. All this talk about what he can be. He can be mentally checked out is what he can be. What he is.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Drouin played 0 playoff games for you. JTC played in all 10 for the Avs. Availability matters. Drouin hates playing in Montreal. It legit broke him. All this talk about what he can be. He can be mentally checked out is what he can be. What he is.
The strange thing about Drouin is he plays his best hockey in the post season! He’s the opposite of Tatar.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Drouin is a talented player, Mtl should keep him since it's the worse time to trade him now. I see him coming back and be a top line player. Having a break from hockey will bring him back to the player he should be.

Exactly, I mean its not like we (MTL) have the luxury of giving up talented players, Drouin even at his worth this year, still put up points.

And like you mentioned, we would be trading him at an all time low, which doesnt make much sense from asset management. Unless he specifically request to leave

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

What the hell
How much do you think Montreal would have to retain for Drouin to be neutral value?

Colorado have ~$4.3m in capspace to spend on a forward so hypothetically they could add Drouin at $1.3m retained ($4.2m x2) without any salary going out.

upload_2021-7-31_18-52-3.png

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The strange thing about Drouin is he plays his best hockey in the post season! He’s the opposite of Tatar.
Did. Past tense. He was good in the bubble.

Wasn’t so impactful this year in the playoffs. It’s clear the Habs can never count on him again. Will be interesting to see how he and the media handle his first slump when he’s back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad