Proposal: Drouin to Flames

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Despite shooting left, doesn't TJ Brodie play significantly better on the right side? Which wouldn't make sense for the Habs.

Valuewise I think Brodie for Drouin is pretty close but I'd give a slight edge to Calgary because of age and term. But Drouin's horrible last 25 games might be enough to even it out. Especially when it's fans having the conversation.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Despite shooting left, doesn't TJ Brodie play significantly better on the right side? Which wouldn't make sense for the Habs.

Valuewise I think Brodie for Drouin is pretty close but I'd give a slight edge to Calgary because of age and term. But Drouin's horrible last 25 games might be enough to even it out. Especially when it's fans having the conversation.

So people are ready to judge Drouin on a 25 games sample but totally ignore the ~70 point pace he had for 55 games.

Habs are not trading Drouin. It’s just not happening. Stop with the nonsense

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
So people are ready to judge Drouin on a 25 games sample but totally ignore the ~70 point pace he had for 55 games.

My evaluation is based on two complete seasons with the Habs as well as reports of how he was with Tampa.

Even if he played like he did for the first 50 games or so, he'd still not be that good. People like to just look at points and assume a player that puts up 60-70 points is good, but that's a wrong way to evaluate players, even if in most cases it works.

Reactions: stl76

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
My evaluation is based on two complete seasons with the Habs as well as reports of how he was with Tampa.

Even if he played like he did for the first 50 games or so, he'd still not be that good. People like to just look at points and assume a player that puts up 60-70 points is good, but that's a wrong way to evaluate players, even if in most cases it works.

So you are ok with trading him for a 29 years old LHD who plays RD and who’s as much of a liability in his own zone, a meh 3rd/4th line center and ~55th pick?

Is that the route Montreal should go with their talented young players? Next thing you know he’s producing at a rate of a PPG alongside Monahan and Lindholm and you regret making the trade for lesser talent

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Drouin is far from being a line driving center. I'm pretty sure in reality the Habs would need to add (and likely significantly) to Drouin just to get Brodie, because Drouin isn't very good.

Yah, cause we all know playr who've been producing @ a 55pts pace over the past 3 seasona ren't good right?

Brodie isn't the D he used to be, we do not need him

Jankowski is another bottom liner, which we have MORE than enough of already

That 2nd is LATEEEE

Why the hell would we give a young 50pts+ winger for a D we do not ned, a 4th lienr we do not need AND a late 2nd?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

You mean, the year the entire Habs squad was sh*t and we finish bottom 3 int he league? you mean that year?

Yah, no. Get a coach that understands TALENT and who does not really on hard nosed player all the time and Drouin will be fine. Claude Julien has NEVER been able to have REALLY talented player produce as he asks them to play DEFENSIVLY

We need our coach to understands that your elite offensive player can make mistakes, but they'll usually win you more games than lose, not trade them away for OTHERS bototm feeder and late picks just because or inept coaches over the past decades we'er thinking about DEFENSE all the time, even tho we can rely on one of the best goalie on the planet

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

For fans the last 25 games will absolutely dominate conversation and value propositions. But you know that.

For real managers, it'll still be a talking point but not the be all end all. But you can't stick your head in the sand and pretend that it didn't happen. If your a GM trading for JD, you're absolutely talking about the last 25 games with your staff just like your talking about the first 55.

Trading Drouin isn't nonsense. He's our best trade chip to improve our biggest positional weakness during a UFA year that has a shallow pool of available LD. Meanwhile, we have a lot of capspace to replace Drouin with a deep UFA forward class.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Pass from Montreal. I don't like Drouin, but I don't like Brodie (who has one year left) or Jankowski either. Brodie hasn't really shown he can be effective on the left side and Montreal has no room for Jankowski.

Drouin is not a center btw.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Drouin is far from being a line driving center. I'm pretty sure in reality the Habs would need to add (and likely significantly) to Drouin just to get Brodie, because Drouin isn't very good.

Neither is Brodie, who is older and UFA in a year.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I suspect - even though bergevin said he's not dealing Drouin - he'd be looking for a galchenyuk type deal - an equally skilled underperforming, YOUNG winger or defenseman. This trade fills none of those needs. As much shit as drouin takes on these boards, he's still a reliable 50 pt winger at 23, with room to improve if he decides to commit

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Flames need more grit and toughness, not more scoring...

The Flames need someone that can take over games and go up against McDavid or MacKinnon level players but that is not going to happen. Grit and toughness would be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->