Proposal: Drouin/Saad

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
After watching him last game... when he plays with confidence like that every game he will be a 60+ point player.

Ive always felt he has ppg potential in him

Hes been a far cry from that level so far of course - but to me 60+ points would be a disappointment as a ceiling

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I’m Saad that you think the Habs would even consider Drouin this trade. Bargain Bin would get tossed into a Seabrook if he made a trade like that! It would be like offering to trade our Peca for your Toews, only something a Domi would consider, if Danault what I mean? So just relax, sit back, stroke your DeBrincat or your Johnson, whichever you prefer, and offer up something else. These bad proposals make the real fans think you’re Jokiharju, and that’s Shaw’ll I have to say.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
1. trade someone else
2. Don't trade for Saad
3. If you do Trade for Saad, get more.

3 things that could have been done differently.

So you saw that Panarin is going to be 78 point player even without Kane? And that Saad wont crack 31 goals again?

There is 1% of you in the hockey world. I’m gonna listen to you always now. You know stuff.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
What about Eberle straight up for Saad? I get Eberle is a pending UFA but I think Chicago would have zero issue re-signing him. Plus I think him and Kane on a line together would be incredible.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
LW is the one position the Habs really don't need any more depth

Drouin, Byron, Domi, Lehkonen, Tatar are all top 6 left wingers --- Domi has been playing C, and Lehks/Byron can play the right side so its' been fine.

Petry being moved would need to be for a young RW; it's the only position we're actually thin (Gallagher/Armia)

Obviously defensively we need some young guys, but I am sure that's the next several draft picks unless we get that #1 this year for Hughes.

Danault, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling --- our C depth is young and full of promise

I agree, but the point I was making wasn't about Saad as the centre piece of the deal, but getting him as a cap casualty in order to make the deal work, kind of like they did with Tatar. The idea would be to get a very good prospect and a pick in exchange for allowing Chicago to swap Saad for Petry.

Again, I just like the idea of moves like that because they are creative, and they basically work in one of two ways. Saad is barely valuable, but maybe toward the end of his deal with salary retained you get a low pick in his UFA year, but you are still happy with the return for Petry, it just ended up costing more money than you would have liked.

The other scenario is that Saad becomes a useful player with some size and SC pedigree to compliment the youth, and you can move him for more substantial return with little to no salary retained later, and you knock the deal out of the park by turning a negative value into positive one.

So the idea isn't about getting Saad, but finding a way to maximize value in a trade on an asset that is valuable but probably not part of Montreal's long term plan.

I love the Pacioretty trade because Suzuki & a 2nd was solid value for a guy that came off a terrible year, and you knew only had great value if he re-signed, which we know he wouldn't have done with just anyone. So I think taking on Tatar to make that deal work was actually very clever, as Tatar get pegged as having negative value despite really only being bad for a relatively short time frame. Now that he is playing well and Vegas has retained on him, he has a positive value again, and if he keeps it up, Montreal likely trades him again at some point for more assets.

So I wouldn't mind Montreal doing something similar if Chicago is basically looking at Saad as a camp dump. Chicago still has to add the piece Montreal values in order to do it, but Saad could be a player Chicago deals under pressure that Montreal can extract more value from later, as long as they get him kind of as a throw in.

Before Chicago fans start saying Saad isn't a cap dump, that's fine if that's not what Chicago wants to do with him, but you can't healthy scratch a guy whose previous games were on the 4th line making $6M and expect to get value in a trade if you do so right now, so for the purposes of a discussion around Saad with respect to the rest of the league, he is a cap dump.

Last edited:

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
upload_2018-10-17_11-26-14.png

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
For comparison:

Drouin - 23 yrs old, career 48pt avg per season over 246 games.
This season 3 pts in 5 games.

Saad - 25 yrs old, career 48pt avg per season over 455 games.
This season 2 pts in 5 games.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
For comparison:

Drouin - 23 yrs old, career 48pt avg per season over 246 games.
This season 3 pts in 5 games.

Saad - 25 yrs old, career 48pt avg per season over 455 games.
This season 2 pts in 5 games.

Drouin's average last 2 seasons: 55 pts in 82 games

Saad's average last 2 seasons: 44 pts

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
i will never for the life of me understand that panarin trade.

They just lost a generational two way sniper. They also had a couple of potential triggermen in schmaltz and Debrincat you could pair with Kane.

Panarin was never a great with toews due to their respective styles of play

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
The Rangers would probably offer their 2019 1st round pick (unprotected) straight up for Drouin.
Trash talking only works if it has an element of truth to it. I would say try again but we both know you aren't clever enough to chrip in any way that would be deserving of my attention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad