Drouin or MacKinnon?

Barney Stinson76

Jul 24, 2002
Austria
Visit site
who you guys think would put up better numbers at NHL level?
I´m living in Europe and didn´t have the chance to see them play :(
and now I have the chance to pick first overall in a fantasy league and can´t decide between them ;)
The league is based only scoring so please help me out :)
thanks

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Honestly, I have no idea what the answer would be... They both play two different styles of hockey, and it's difficult to guess at who'll get more points from it.

If I have to pick who I think will get more points, I'd go with Drouin simply because he's the more offensively talented player.

TA1 Sports

@TA_Stephenson
Dec 3, 2011
Halifax NS
www.ta1sports.com
Gun to my head, Nate.

My reasoning is this. I think Drouin is going to have trouble scoring at the NHL level at first. Not because of his size, but rather because of his all around goal scoring ability. He has a very solid shot, but not a great NHL shooter yet IMO. Dangles with the best of them, but I think he's going to be dishing the puck a ton and racking up assists. Especially if he's playing with Stamkos in Tampa.

Nate on the other hand, will go to dirty areas a bit more and I think it'll result in him scoring more around the net, his shot is better the Drouin's as well.

Put it this way, when they hit their primes in 5 years, I would expect numbers like this.

Nate - 40 goals - 45 assists
Jo - 25 goals - 55 assists

Such a tough thing to predict, but I'd expect it to shake out a bit like that down the road. Both are going to be successful pro's, the kids just have to much drive not to succeed.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Gun to my head, Nate.

My reasoning is this. I think Drouin is going to have trouble scoring at the NHL level at first. Not because of his size, but rather because of his all around goal scoring ability. He has a very solid shot, but not a great NHL shooter yet IMO. Dangles with the best of them, but I think he's going to be dishing the puck a ton and racking up assists. Especially if he's playing with Stamkos in Tampa.

Nate on the other hand, will go to dirty areas a bit more and I think it'll result in him scoring more around the net, his shot is better the Drouin's as well.

Put it this way, when they hit their primes in 5 years, I would expect numbers like this.

Nate - 40 goals - 45 assists
Jo - 25 goals - 55 assists

Such a tough thing to predict, but I'd expect it to shake out a bit like that down the road. Both are going to be successful pro's, the kids just have to much drive not to succeed.
I think they'll be 100+ points in their primes. They'll never stop working hard.

TA1 Sports

@TA_Stephenson
Dec 3, 2011
Halifax NS
www.ta1sports.com
I think they'll be 100+ points in their primes. They'll never stop working hard.

Well, they may get there. The potential is there. But even when you look at guys like Stamkos and Kane who are both approaching those prime years, have still yet to have 100 point seasons. That's tough to do in today's NHL. I don't know that I'm comfortable enough yet to say that they will both be top 5 or 8 players in the NHL. Which is where they'd need to be if they're putting up 100 points in a year.

Hope you're right though.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Drouin is likely a future line mate with Stamkos and St Louis (who is probably closing in on retirement but still). So I'd choose him in a fantasy league.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Mackinnon seems like more of a sure thing to me, as Drouins style of play might be tougher to bring to the NHL (Rob Shremp).

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
Mackinnon seems like more of a sure thing to me, as Drouins style of play might be tougher to bring to the NHL (Rob Shremp).

Schremp and Drouin are not really comparable aside from their hands and size. Schremp is a one dimensional player who relied on flashy plays. Big reasons why he never succeeded in the NHL.

Drouin has a solid all around game (not as solid as MacKinnon's) that will allow him to have a decent NHL career. Pair that with his sky rocketing hockey IQ and the guy has the chance to be an excellent NHL player.

Players Drouin has been mostly compared to are St. Louis, Patrick Kane, and Claude Girioux. All of which are top line players.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
Schremp and Drouin are not really comparable aside from their hands and size. Schremp is a one dimensional player who relied on flashy plays. Big reasons why he never succeeded in the NHL.

Drouin has a solid all around game (not as solid as MacKinnon's) that will allow him to have a decent NHL career. Pair that with his sky rocketing hockey IQ and the guy has the chance to be an excellent NHL player.

Players Drouin has been mostly compared to are St. Louis, Patrick Kane, and Claude Girioux. All of which are top line players.

Ya Drouin is somewhat of a lesser Kane in playing style, skill and junior point production. I would compare Schremp more to Frk: big shot, slick hands, one way, and dumb penalties.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

Although he does have the potential to have the skill set to be a Kane or St. Louis if he pans out, he could be comparable to them in the future. But, at this moment, Drouin reminds me a lot of Shremp. Although Drouin has a slight advantage on Shremps skating at this point, it's a similar situation. I obviously thing Drouin will be more successful than Shremp, but still compare them.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011

People won't like that comparison because of the name lol. But there are similarities... Hands, size... Drouin has a lot more than Schremp did and I believe will have more NHL success than Schremp, but that also isn't saying much.

Drouin's all-around game, vision and numbers he put up are all well above Schremp's at the same age... Schremp put up 145 points but as a 19yo and went 25th overall. I'm sure Drouin will go higher ( ;) ) and could do that at 18 even.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
People won't like that comparison because of the name lol. But there are similarities... Hands, size... Drouin has a lot more than Schremp did and I believe will have more NHL success than Schremp, but that also isn't saying much.

Drouin's all-around game, vision and numbers he put up are all well above Schremp's at the same age... Schremp put up 145 points but as a 19yo and went 25th overall. I'm sure Drouin will go higher ( ;) ) and could do that at 18 even.

It's almost as if people forget the numbers Shremp had in the CHL, aha.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Anyone think Drouin might be back with the moose next year? not really any point asking if Mackinnon will be

I think if he's in the NHL, it stunts his growth as a player. He'll get tossed around like a rag doll.

I'd take MacKinnon 10 times out of 9....... 10 times out of 9. He does all the little things that a lot of fans don't notice/care about. Picking off passes, winning battles on the boards, basic positioning, his ability to change speeds with ease, etc.

I think a lot of people were too focused on Drouins hands and point production and didn't really look at the overall play of the two.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Drouin has obvious skill, but I think his game is just a bit too flashy at this point to translate into the NHL. Not unlike other highly-touted Q stars who get plastered when they try those moves on NHL defencemen. It will probably take him a little longer than Mac to put up the points in the big show, and he may even end up back with the Moose next year though I wouldn't give it better than 50/50 odds.

MacKinnon is all but gone. I'd be shocked if he ended up back here, as there's just nothing left for him to learn in the Q. Such a pity he's likely to end up in Florida; what a wasteland of an NHL team in which to start his career.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
Drouin has obvious skill, but I think his game is just a bit too flashy at this point to translate into the NHL. Not unlike other highly-touted Q stars who get plastered when they try those moves on NHL defencemen. It will probably take him a little longer than Mac to put up the points in the big show, and he may even end up back with the Moose next year though I wouldn't give it better than 50/50 odds.

MacKinnon is all but gone. I'd be shocked if he ended up back here, as there's just nothing left for him to learn in the Q. Such a pity he's likely to end up in Florida; what a wasteland of an NHL team in which to start his career.

We will get to see a preview of that when he plays against Portland and London. I think he will still be an effective player but his points will drop dramatically

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City

This gets thrown around a lot, but the only player I can think of in the last 15 years that fits that description is PM Bouchard (and injuries had a lot to do with that). Historically, finesse forwards from the Q have had no problem translating their game to the NHL (at least, not any more than prospects from other leagues). It's the burlier, more physical players (Picard, Bourret, Bernier, Sheppard) that have had these problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad