Drouin-Domi-Suzuki or Drouin-Suzuki-Domi?

The inevitable question: Drouin-Domi-Suzuki or Drouin-Suzuki-Domi?

• Drouin-Domi-Suzuki

• Drouin-Suzuki-Domi

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
On Thursday against the Panthers at the Bell, Byron-Suzuki-Gallagher. All three will be rested. Suzuki is given a speedster and a somewhat skilled kamikaze. It could be fire.

I also think we'll see Poehling-Domi-Weal (or Lehkonen). 2nd game in a row for Poehling though, after getting 3rd line minutes in his 1st game (vs. Suzuki who got 2nd line TOI on Monday). Hope RP looks like Josh Anderson out there.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
On Thursday against the Panthers at the Bell, Byron-Suzuki-Gallagher. All three will be rested. Suzuki is given a speedster and a somewhat skilled kamikaze. It could be fire.

I also think we'll see Poehling-Domi-Weal (or Lehkonen). 2nd game in a row for Poehling though, after getting 3rd line minutes in his 1st game (vs. Suzuki who got 2nd line TOI on Monday). Hope RP looks like Josh Anderson out there.

Julien wasn't happy with Drouin's game last night. But if Drouin's not going, should KK get stuck with him? Anyways hopefully he can get going?

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lehkonen Domi/Suzuki Domi/Suzuki
Poehling Kotkaniemi Drouin
Byron Weal Armia

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Julien wasn't happy with Drouin's game last night. But if Drouin's not going, should KK get stuck with him? Anyways hopefully he can get going?

Drouin fed real nice passes to KK last year. He sucked a lot too. I wouldn't say he would be 'stuck' with him considering it's a pre-season game. I wasn't talking about regular season, 'dis time for trials.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Is this a serious question? Who will be the 1C next season between the guy who scored 72 pts and the guy who has yet to play a pro game?

Suzuki has a lot of work to do before we start thinking of him as a top 6 center. He needs to show he can be a much better center than 3 of Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault, and Poehling. If he can't show that, then he will play on the wing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is this a serious question? Who will be the 1C next season between the guy who scored 72 pts and the guy who has yet to play a pro game?

Suzuki has a lot of work to do before we start thinking of him as a top 6 center. He needs to show he can be a much better center than 3 of Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault, and Poehling. If he can't show that, then he will play on the wing.

If he's better than 2 of them, he'll be a top 9c. The makeup of the top 9 will be based more on chemistry/role than a pure hierarchy of talent...

Some think Domi can still get his offense as a winger, but Suzuki will be better defensively. It remains to be seen.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If he's better than 2 of them, he'll be a top 9c. The makeup of the top 9 will be based more on chemistry/role than a pure hierarchy of talent...

Some think Domi can still get his offense as a winger, but Suzuki will be better defensively. It remains to be seen.

If Domi is moved to the wing, its because Kotkaniemi has shown he is ready to be a 1C. Not because of whatever Suzuki does in the preseason.
If that happens a top 9 C role will open, but even then Poehling is likely to get the spot. Suzuki can play the wing effectively, which lowers his chance of playing center.

Reactions: NekkiChiconey

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Domi is moved to the wing, its because Kotkaniemi has shown he is ready to be a 1C. Not because of whatever Suzuki does in the preseason.
If that happens a top 9 C role will open, but even then Poehling is likely to get the spot. Suzuki can play the wing effectively, which lowers his chance of playing center.

yes ultimately it's about maximizing the lineup's effectiveness.

We have 5 good centers going forward, in all likelihood: Domi, KK, Danault, Suzuki, Poehling. Ultimately, either there will have to be a trade or 2 will have to play wing.

Having 5 centers of that caliber makes us virtually injury invincible at the center position. Usually if a top center goes down it's crippling. Not for us.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
This summer i wanted to see: Domi - Kotkaniemi - Drouin
Didn't change my mind but i'm becoming less and less convince that Drouin has his place on the top line.

Both lines mentioned in the OP are very small line, so i'm looking for some size up there and that's where Kotkaniemi fit in.
But i still wanna see Poehling first.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
It would be Domi-Suzuki-Drouin instead of Domi on the RW, but Drouin-Domi-Suzuki is the correct answer IMO.

However, I really hope Suzuki doesn't start in the NHL unless he's 100% ready

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
yes ultimately it's about maximizing the lineup's effectiveness.

We have 5 good centers going forward, in all likelihood: Domi, KK, Danault, Suzuki, Poehling. Ultimately, either there will have to be a trade or 2 will have to play wing.

Having 5 centers of that caliber makes us virtually injury invincible at the center position. Usually if a top center goes down it's crippling. Not for us.

You're not maximizing anything if you remove the only 70+ center we've had since....1632.
Unless he struggles, you keep him there, no question asked.

Suzuki and Poehling are not proven capable NHLers. They have one pro game among them where Poehling probably had his career best game. He hasn't looked particularly good this camp, more like a classic 3rd liner.
Suzuki is having a good start, but that's all it is, a start.
Ideally, I want both those guys to be the 1-2 punch in Laval. I don't want them on the wing or bottom lines.
We have Domi-Danault-KK, we can stick with that this year and let the kids own Laval.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
How about not rushing Suzuki...

You're not maximizing anything if you remove the only 70+ center we've had since....1632.
Unless he struggles, you keep him there, no question asked.

Suzuki and Poehling are not proven capable NHLers. They have one pro game among them where Poehling probably had his career best game. He hasn't looked particularly good this camp, more like a classic 3rd liner.
Suzuki is having a good start, but that's all it is, a start.
Ideally, I want both those guys to be the 1-2 punch in Laval. I don't want them on the wing or bottom lines.
We have Domi-Danault-KK, we can stick with that this year and let the kids own Laval.

We'll get a better idea of whether Suzuki and Poehling are ready or not over the next week and a half. I think it won't be a tough decision based on their performances.

If they're ready, they're ready. If they're better than 4 of Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, Hudon and Weal, they're ready for top 9 duty.

They're both 2 years older than KK was last year when he beat out the competition for the 3c spot.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We'll get a better idea of whether Suzuki and Poehling are ready or not over the next week and a half. I think it won't be a tough decision based on their performances.

If they're ready, they're ready. If they're better than 4 of Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, Hudon and Weal, they're ready for top 9 duty.

They're both 2 years older than KK was last year when he beat out the competition for the 3c spot.

What competition was there for KK to beat last season? We were using Drouin at freaking center just the year before for crying out loud. Domi was an expirement at center, Bergevin is on record saying they traded him to ideally play on the wing but the reality of the team might push them to use him down the middle. Our center line was wide open last camp. Suggesting we're in a similar position and Suzuki-Poe have that opportunity isn't painting a real picture mate.

Our coach opened camp using the similar 3 lines, Domi-Drouin-Lehk ; Danault-Tatar-Gallagher ; Byron-KK-Armia. Clearly, they're sticking with what worked for them last year. So again, I don't see them displace any of those three centers as it stands. If someone gets hurt, then okay, until then I don't see it.
Fact they're both being used as centers now tells me ideally, they want both to develop as strong centers in the AHL. If they're serious with their development, that's also what they'll do. Now, we will still see how camp progresses, things might change, but as of right now there's no reason to believe that.

Being better than Hudon isn't a big task to accomplish. Using Suzuki or Poe on a 4th line in the NHL would be a waste. Much better to center a top line in Laval.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What competition was there for KK to beat last season? We were using Drouin at freaking center just the year before for crying out loud. Domi was an expirement at center, Bergevin is on record saying they traded him to ideally play on the wing but the reality of the team might push them to use him down the middle. Our center line was wide open last camp. Suggesting we're in a similar position and Suzuki-Poe have that opportunity isn't painting a real picture mate.

Our coach opened camp using the similar 3 lines, Domi-Drouin-Lehk ; Danault-Tatar-Gallagher ; Byron-KK-Armia. Clearly, they're sticking with what worked for them last year. So again, I don't see them displace any of those three centers as it stands. If someone gets hurt, then okay, until then I don't see it.
Fact they're both being used as centers now tells me ideally, they want both to develop as strong centers in the AHL. If they're serious with their development, that's also what they'll do. Now, we will still see how camp progresses, things might change, but as of right now there's no reason to believe that.

Being better than Hudon isn't a big task to accomplish. Using Suzuki or Poe on a 4th line in the NHL would be a waste. Much better to center a top line in Laval.

lol, I'm not suggesting it's a similar situation. I'm saying Suzuki and Poehling will have to earn their spot by beating out the competition. If they beat the competition, they beat the competition. What in that statement says the competition is of a similar challenge? I'll answer that for you: nothing. But they are two years older than when KK beat his last year.

Yes we'll see how things look at the end of camp. Because right now, we're only 1 game in. There's a long way to go. Last year CJ admitted he didn't think KK would make the team before camp...

I wouldn't call those three lines lines that worked - we missed the playoffs last year and the pp sucked. Suzuki and Poehling can potentially both help the pp. In fact, if they're good on the pp over the next two weeks, that alone may earn them a spot. CJ is all about trying to ice the best team to win and make the playoffs...

also note I didn't say being better than Hudon. I said they need to beat 4 of Hudon, Byron, Lehkonen, Armia, and Weal to make a top 9 spot - not merely Hudon... Right now Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia have the top 9 spots they're going to have to supplant 2 of them, plus beat out Hudon and Weal.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
lol, I'm not suggesting it's a similar situation. I'm saying Suzuki and Poehling will have to earn their spot by beating out the competition. If they beat the competition, they beat the competition. What in that statement says the competition is of a similar challenge? I'll answer that for you: nothing. But they are two years older than when KK beat his last year.
The fact you're referencing last season draws a parallel to it. Saying KK beat out his competition last season to earn a #3C spot is a comparison, without mentioning the context, ie not having any competition for it in the first place.

Yes we'll see how things look at the end of camp. Because right now, we're only 1 game in. There's a long way to go. Last year CJ admitted he didn't think KK would make the team before camp...
See, there you go again bringing up last season as if it means something. Ya Julien said that, he also noticed how horrible his center line was and his option for 3C was what...McCarron?
It was much easier to make the team last season so whatever Julien said last pre-season means nothing. Nobody is arguing it's impossible for these guys to make the team.
I was saying, they're not going to outplay any of the 3 centers we have.
I wouldn't call those three lines lines that worked - we missed the playoffs last year and the pp sucked. Suzuki and Poehling can potentially both help the pp. In fact, if they're good on the pp over the next two weeks, that alone may earn them a spot. CJ is all about trying to ice the best team to win and make the playoffs...
The lines worked. We missed the POs for various reasons but all in all, those three lines worked as translated in plenty of career highs from most of those guys.

also note I didn't say being better than Hudon. I said they need to beat 4 of Hudon, Byron, Lehkonen, Armia, and Weal to make a top 9 spot - not merely Hudon... Right now Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia have the top 9 spots they're going to have to supplant 2 of them, plus beat out Hudon and Weal.
Byron-Armia are going nowhere. They're KK's linemates, I'll be very surprised if that changes, maybe a swap between Lehk and Byron, that's about it. There is only one spot available next to Domi-Drouin. That's it. One of Suz-Poe will start in Laval, the other might have an opportunity if they outplay Lehk, but that means we actually would have to see them in that role, which they currently do not have.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The fact you're referencing last season draws a parallel to it. Saying KK beat out his competition last season to earn a #3C spot is a comparison, without mentioning the context, ie not having any competition for it in the first place.

See, there you go again bringing up last season as if it means something. Ya Julien said that, he also noticed how horrible his center line was and his option for 3C was what...McCarron?
It was much easier to make the team last season so whatever Julien said last pre-season means nothing. Nobody is arguing it's impossible for these guys to make the team.
I was saying, they're not going to outplay any of the 3 centers we have.

The lines worked. We missed the POs for various reasons but all in all, those three lines worked as translated in plenty of career highs from most of those guys.

Byron-Armia are going nowhere. They're KK's linemates, I'll be very surprised if that changes, maybe a swap between Lehk and Byron, that's about it. There is only one spot available next to Domi-Drouin. That's it. One of Suz-Poe will start in Laval, the other might have an opportunity if they outplay Lehk, but that means we actually would have to see them in that role, which they currently do not have.

oh boy. not worth responding to, but here's a simplified version...

Any season, a player will have to beat out the competition. That includes this season. Yes, KK's competition was far lesser. But they didn't see him making it. There's nothing implied. KK beat out lesser competition. Suzuki and Poehling will have to beat out better competition. They're two years older than KK so that will help. But if they beat it out, they will get a spot, just as KK did last year when he beat his out. It's not that complicated.

Julien will take their development into consideration a little bit. But if they beat out 2 of Byron, Lehk, and Armia, and thus make the team better now, Julien will keep them - and in fact they will be NHL ready. No need for time in the AHL.

Don't sleep on it being possible that they're better than 2 of Byron, Lehk, and Armia.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

nah, The Byron-KK-Armia line hasn't established itself at all. If they get beat out they get beat out.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Drouin on the 3rd line til he earns a spot back in the Top 6

Don't want someone to act entitled?

Here's a hint, make them work their ass for it, same goes for Suzuki

KK in the Top 6 before anyone else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad