TSN: Drouin asked for a trade in November, should MB make a move ?

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by ROEN, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maliki2

Maliki2 Registered User

Judiciary
    You are completely out of your mind. Why do people want to trade everything for a guy who hasn't proven a thing yet. WTF

2. Habs100

Habs100 Registered User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Habs100 View Post
    Eller Scherbak tinordi and a 1st
    You are completely out of your mind. Why do people want to trade everything for a guy who hasn't proven a thing yet. WTF

Eller and Tinordi aren't that good. Scherbak hasn't proven anything either. Our first should be a late one.

3. Habitant#1

Habitant#1 Registered User

High end NHL picks traded before making an impact: Kyle Turris, Nido Niederreiter and Griffin Reinhart.

As comparables for Jonathan Drouin.

4. NoQuinn

NoQuinn Registered User

Because if we wait until he proves himself we won't be able to afford him.

5. OnTheRun

OnTheRun Unsung Hero

And it's going to be the same damn thing if not worse if he come here.

Drouin is the poster child of everything MT doesn't like in a hockey player.

6. NoQuinn

NoQuinn Registered User

So is Desharnais. ......

7. Kriss E

Kriss E Registered User

So why would TB be interested then?

8. OldCraig71

OldCraig71 Registered User

Really, then how come he love Desharnais? Enlighten the 100,000 of us that cant figure this out.

9. Monctonscout

Monctonscout Monctonscout

Can't see TB doing that. They would want McCarron Beaulieu Galchenyuk type players in any deal.

10. OnTheRun

OnTheRun Unsung Hero

Desharnais? They have nothing in common other that their spoken language and MT doesn't have a mancrush on DD because he speak french.

MT is all about underdogs and grinders, because he see them as hard worker and Drouin happen to be the complete opposite of that.

11. Whitesnake

Whitesnake In my opinion.....

Automation & Robotics
    If you are TBay, you don't deal Drouin for what he did. You deal Drouin for what he could do and make you look bad. You HAVE to have something great in return.

Yzerman doesn't want to do a Erat for Forsberg....

12. Kriss E

Kriss E Registered User

Forsberg didn't ask for a trade though, and this was a wtf moment from Washington the moment the deal was done.
    TB isn't dealing from a position of strength here.
    I'm sure they're getting a lot of interest for Drouin, but teams know the kid is unhappy and wants to be moved. He's also been a big disappointment in TB, 6 goals only in 89gp.
    On the flip side, he still has a lot of potential, and he does have 40pts in that amount of games. There could be something special there. No doubt about it.

But really, I'm hearing some crazy proposal refused. Ray Ferraro said he would refuse Beaulieu-McCarron-1st pick for Drouin if he was Yzerman. That's insane. You're talking about 3 first round picks refused for Drouin, an unproven and possibly problematic youngster.
    I don't get it, is Yzerman asking for some young proven talent for his unproven one???...

13. 417

417 Registered User

in Ferraro's defense, it wasn't Beaulieu-McCarron-1st....

It was Beaulieu-McCarron-pick (pick value unspecified)

I already took him to task on twitter lol

14. prairie hab

prairie hab Registered User

You can close this thread now because Eklund said the price for Drouin is high, and Tampa Bay is in no hurry and can wait until the draft. You know he is always right.

Last edited by moderator Andy: Jan 7, 2016
  15. Whitesnake

Whitesnake In my opinion.....

Automation & Robotics
    Well...it's all about potential and expectations. I keep hearing from people in here that late 1st round, you shouldn't be surprised to see that the players you will get will not be a top player. So...what if Beaulieu only ends up a #4? What if McCarron only ends up a fine 3rd/4th liner? And what if the 1st ends up a #26 that bust? And then Drouin becomes a 65-70......That's probably why he'd refuse it.

I'd say that if Scherbak would do fine in the AHL.....you probably be more encline to do Scherbak and 1st for Drouin. 'Cause Scherbak is all about potential....

I really have no idea what to expect. Though....I'm expecting that the day we'll see what,s going TBay's way...we'll say...just that?

16. Kriss E

Kriss E Registered User

Well ya WS, but when you play the ''if'' game, you can play until next year.
    Beaulieu was expected to go earlier in the draft, some even believed he'd go in the top 10. Most had him in top 15. He's already done well as a top 4, right now he's being groomed to become a top pairing D.
    Getting him, with McCarron even if he's just a 3rd liner (a huge 3rd liner that doesn't mind using his body and dropping the gloves is actually valuable), and a 1st round pick (that you can also use to package with your own 1st round pick to move up, if needed). To me that's a big package for Drouin. I mean really. I'd be disappointed as TB fan if they passed up on that.

Then again, you're right, we'll see. Maybe there is a crazy GM offering the moon.

17. DangerDave

DangerDave Mete's Shot

I like Drouin too but is he really a guy you sell the farm for? Either way, I really doubt this happens.

18. Tyson

Tyson Registered User

If MB trades a Beaulieu and a McCarron for an unproven player he should be drawn and quartered

19. Garry Valk

Garry Valk Registered User

Home Page:
    Uh, because he is very young, extremely talented, and could make an impact right away? You're dealing a bunch of spare parts.

20. Jee

Jee Kotkaniemi :.D

Front-End Developer
    They'd probably want a RD -> Pateryn, Juulsen
    They'd probably want another forward -> DLR, Scherbak, Andrigehtto
    They'd probably want a 2nd or 3rd pick (or 1st because we're in the same division)

Kyle Turris got Rundblad and a 2nd, I think Drouin will fetch a similar return.

21. Habnot

Habnot Registered User

Home Page:
    To make these type of deals work, you need comparables.

Drouin is a 20 year old - 3rd overall pick - the facts that he has limited NHL success will not be a mitigating factor - projection or ceiling is the most important comparable. That being said, the only player that fits is Galchenyuk 1 for 1. Not sure many of us would do that.

Yes big trades can occur, but you need the perfect scenario. Columbus traded a potential elite 1st line center for a potential 1 pairing defenseman. Both also filled a need - maybe Nashville more, but Columbus probably got the better player.

I can't see a similar scenario between Tamps and the Habs and then you can add the divisional rivalry to the mix.

22. Canadiens Ghost

Canadiens Ghost Mr. Objectivity

I think the only way the Habs get Drouin without a ridiculous overpayment is in a three-way deal probably involving a Western conference team.

23. JHabs

JHabs HFB Partner

Habs Fan
    Home Page:
    Not sure if anyone heard this but McGuire went on record to say if Habs offered Nathan Beaulieu+McCarron for Drouin it would get the deal done.

He also said TB really needs a D of NB's caliber and because we have NB we could outbid just about anyone short of Winnipeg or Avalanche who are also top of the list. Not quite sure if they'd trade Trouba but perhaps Enstrom++?

So I'm not sure if you guys would do NB+McCarron for Drouin - I'd seriously consider it but would have a tough time with the deal, those are two players I absolutely love.

24. Canadienna

Canadienna Sitting in a temperate rainforest somewhere...

I am willing to overpay for Drouin. I think he is going to be dominant, for a variety of reasons.

This being said, if you can accept that you want him, and your willing to overpay, and that you'll have to overpay to get yzerman to send him our way, I think it makes sense to send Scherbak, Tinner, Pateryn + 1st.

Is it going to hurt us down the road? Sure, maybe.

Has Tinner proven anything? No, doesn't seem to have much upside potential.
    Has Scherby proven anything? No, looked very weak in training camp this year.
    Has Pateryn proven anything? Sort of, but not much upside potential.

Has Drouin proven anything? Sort of, but he has 1st line potential and even superstar potential.

We'd be giving up some uncertain futures for a chance at a fast, creative, fun player to watch who could become a part of the core.

I say do it, when you're missing the assets required to make the big name trades like RyJo, then you are forced to take a swing at a guy like Drouin with some risk attached. Otherwise we just settle with the roster we got.

25. sergejean

sergejean Registered User

I believe the exact opposite actually. If MB is offerd Drouin for Beaulieu and McCarron and he declines, he should be drawn and quartered!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.