TSN: Drouin asked for a trade in November, should MB make a move ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs100 View Post
Eller Scherbak tinordi and a 1st
You are completely out of your mind. Why do people want to trade everything for a guy who hasn't proven a thing yet. WTF

Eller and Tinordi aren't that good. Scherbak hasn't proven anything either. Our first should be a late one.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
High end NHL picks traded before making an impact: Kyle Turris, Nido Niederreiter and Griffin Reinhart.

As comparables for Jonathan Drouin.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
You are completely out of your mind. Why do people want to trade everything for a guy who hasn't proven a thing yet. WTF

Because if we wait until he proves himself we won't be able to afford him.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
He's in his third season and is the closest to production/60 to Galchenyuk for 23 and under in the NHL. The guy is waiting to break out, but has been given a rough ride in TB for no reason.

Honestly, I think put on a line with Galchenyuk and Gallagher, they could dominate, right now.

And it's going to be the same damn thing if not worse if he come here.

Drouin is the poster child of everything MT doesn't like in a hockey player.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Really, then how come he love Desharnais? Enlighten the 100,000 of us that cant figure this out.

Desharnais? They have nothing in common other that their spoken language and MT doesn't have a mancrush on DD because he speak french.

MT is all about underdogs and grinders, because he see them as hard worker and Drouin happen to be the complete opposite of that.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If you are TBay, you don't deal Drouin for what he did. You deal Drouin for what he could do and make you look bad. You HAVE to have something great in return.

Yzerman doesn't want to do a Erat for Forsberg....

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If you are TBay, you don't deal Drouin for what he did. You deal Drouin for what he could do and make you look bad. You HAVE to have something great in return.

Yzerman doesn't want to do a Erat for Forsberg....

Forsberg didn't ask for a trade though, and this was a wtf moment from Washington the moment the deal was done.
TB isn't dealing from a position of strength here.
I'm sure they're getting a lot of interest for Drouin, but teams know the kid is unhappy and wants to be moved. He's also been a big disappointment in TB, 6 goals only in 89gp.
On the flip side, he still has a lot of potential, and he does have 40pts in that amount of games. There could be something special there. No doubt about it.

But really, I'm hearing some crazy proposal refused. Ray Ferraro said he would refuse Beaulieu-McCarron-1st pick for Drouin if he was Yzerman. That's insane. You're talking about 3 first round picks refused for Drouin, an unproven and possibly problematic youngster.
I don't get it, is Yzerman asking for some young proven talent for his unproven one???...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Forsberg didn't ask for a trade though, and this was a wtf moment from Washington the moment the deal was done.
TB isn't dealing from a position of strength here.
I'm sure they're getting a lot of interest for Drouin, but teams know the kid is unhappy and wants to be moved. He's also been a big disappointment in TB, 6 goals only in 89gp.
On the flip side, he still has a lot of potential, and he does have 40pts in that amount of games. There could be something special there. No doubt about it.

But really, I'm hearing some crazy proposal refused. Ray Ferraro said he would refuse Beaulieu-McCarron-1st pick for Drouin if he was Yzerman. That's insane. You're talking about 3 first round picks refused for Drouin, an unproven and possibly problematic youngster.
I don't get it, is Yzerman asking for some young proven talent for his unproven one???...

in Ferraro's defense, it wasn't Beaulieu-McCarron-1st....

It was Beaulieu-McCarron-pick (pick value unspecified)

I already took him to task on twitter lol

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
You can close this thread now because Eklund said the price for Drouin is high, and Tampa Bay is in no hurry and can wait until the draft. You know he is always right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Forsberg didn't ask for a trade. TB isn't dealing from a position of strength here.
On the flip side, he's still has a lot of potential, and he does have 40pts in that amount of games. There could be something special there. No doubt about it.

Well...it's all about potential and expectations. I keep hearing from people in here that late 1st round, you shouldn't be surprised to see that the players you will get will not be a top player. So...what if Beaulieu only ends up a #4? What if McCarron only ends up a fine 3rd/4th liner? And what if the 1st ends up a #26 that bust? And then Drouin becomes a 65-70......That's probably why he'd refuse it.

I'd say that if Scherbak would do fine in the AHL.....you probably be more encline to do Scherbak and 1st for Drouin. 'Cause Scherbak is all about potential....

I really have no idea what to expect. Though....I'm expecting that the day we'll see what,s going TBay's way...we'll say...just that?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well...it's all about potential and expectations. I keep hearing from people in here that late 1st round, you shouldn't be surprised to see that the players you will get will not be a top player. So...what if Beaulieu only ends up a #4? What if McCarron only ends up a fine 3rd/4th liner? And what if the 1st ends up a #26 that bust? And then Drouin becomes a 65-70......That's probably why he'd refuse it.

I'd say that if Scherbak would do fine in the AHL.....you probably be more encline to do Scherbak and 1st for Drouin. 'Cause Scherbak is all about potential....

I really have no idea what to expect. Though....I'm expecting that the day we'll see what,s going TBay's way...we'll say...just that?

Well ya WS, but when you play the ''if'' game, you can play until next year.
Beaulieu was expected to go earlier in the draft, some even believed he'd go in the top 10. Most had him in top 15. He's already done well as a top 4, right now he's being groomed to become a top pairing D.
Getting him, with McCarron even if he's just a 3rd liner (a huge 3rd liner that doesn't mind using his body and dropping the gloves is actually valuable), and a 1st round pick (that you can also use to package with your own 1st round pick to move up, if needed). To me that's a big package for Drouin. I mean really. I'd be disappointed as TB fan if they passed up on that.

Then again, you're right, we'll see. Maybe there is a crazy GM offering the moon.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If MB trades a Beaulieu and a McCarron for an unproven player he should be drawn and quartered

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
They'd probably want a RD -> Pateryn, Juulsen
They'd probably want another forward -> DLR, Scherbak, Andrigehtto
They'd probably want a 2nd or 3rd pick (or 1st because we're in the same division)

Kyle Turris got Rundblad and a 2nd, I think Drouin will fetch a similar return.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If MB trades a Beaulieu and a McCarron for an unproven player he should be drawn and quartered

To make these type of deals work, you need comparables.

Drouin is a 20 year old - 3rd overall pick - the facts that he has limited NHL success will not be a mitigating factor - projection or ceiling is the most important comparable. That being said, the only player that fits is Galchenyuk 1 for 1. Not sure many of us would do that.

Yes big trades can occur, but you need the perfect scenario. Columbus traded a potential elite 1st line center for a potential 1 pairing defenseman. Both also filled a need - maybe Nashville more, but Columbus probably got the better player.

I can't see a similar scenario between Tamps and the Habs and then you can add the divisional rivalry to the mix.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Not sure if anyone heard this but McGuire went on record to say if Habs offered Nathan Beaulieu+McCarron for Drouin it would get the deal done.

He also said TB really needs a D of NB's caliber and because we have NB we could outbid just about anyone short of Winnipeg or Avalanche who are also top of the list. Not quite sure if they'd trade Trouba but perhaps Enstrom++?

So I'm not sure if you guys would do NB+McCarron for Drouin - I'd seriously consider it but would have a tough time with the deal, those are two players I absolutely love.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I am willing to overpay for Drouin. I think he is going to be dominant, for a variety of reasons.

This being said, if you can accept that you want him, and your willing to overpay, and that you'll have to overpay to get yzerman to send him our way, I think it makes sense to send Scherbak, Tinner, Pateryn + 1st.

Is it going to hurt us down the road? Sure, maybe.

Has Tinner proven anything? No, doesn't seem to have much upside potential.
Has Scherby proven anything? No, looked very weak in training camp this year.
Has Pateryn proven anything? Sort of, but not much upside potential.

Has Drouin proven anything? Sort of, but he has 1st line potential and even superstar potential.

We'd be giving up some uncertain futures for a chance at a fast, creative, fun player to watch who could become a part of the core.

I say do it, when you're missing the assets required to make the big name trades like RyJo, then you are forced to take a swing at a guy like Drouin with some risk attached. Otherwise we just settle with the roster we got.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007

I believe the exact opposite actually. If MB is offerd Drouin for Beaulieu and McCarron and he declines, he should be drawn and quartered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad