TSN: Drouin asked for a trade in November, should MB make a move ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Drouin is, IMO, the kind of player for which Bergevin should make an exception and try to go hard after him.

I don't care how people always turn that to politics, but having some local talent on the team is always a plus. Emphasis on talent.

I wouldn't go after local players for the sake of it. But if a talented young local can be had for a reasonable price, why not? For all we know, Drouin could be the kind of guy to thrive in Montreal's market. He seems to deliver when the stakes are high.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Drouin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

That'd be a crazy line of skills and implication. Then imagine :

Pacioretty - McCaron - XxX

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Andrighetto+Scherbak+Tinordi+1st for Drouin

Over payment, maybe
Worth it, yup

Plus I'd start talking to them about Stamkos... just to get the ball rolling.
Personally, I'd rather have Stamkos

That is a ridiculous overpayment for a guy who is not even in the NHL!!
Ghetto plus our 2 seconds this draft.
How do you know Scherbak alone won't prove to be a better player than Drouin, just because he was drafted higher?
Sweet Jesus talk about ponying up for potential, Cooper is a good coach and if Drouin is not in Tampa's lineup its for a reason folks.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Drouin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

That'd be a crazy line of skills and implication. Then imagine :

Pacioretty - McCaron - XxX
Drouin - Chuck and Gallagher would be too small. You'd want to mix it up a little.

I can't wait until Big Mac's ready.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Well apparently McKenzie said on the radio that Tampa won't move Drouin to a team like OTT or MTL unless our offers are "light years" better than anything else on the table.

So...it would be cool to land Drouin and all but is he worth giving up the farm for? Not so sure.

Kypreos suggested during the intermission last night that it would cost Galchenyuk to get Tampa to deal him to us. Is that something worth doing? I don't think so personally (and neither did Kypreos).

I agree... Galchenyuk is a non-starter for sure.

But, if the best Anaheim offer is Sorenson, Manson and a 3rd and Montreal offers Scherbak, Beaulieu and a 2nd... What does Yzerman do? Accept the worse offer because he's so scared of Drouin becoming a great player in Montreal? We also have to remember that Yzerman and Cooper don't like Drouin enough to make peace with him and play him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well apparently McKenzie said on the radio that Tampa won't move Drouin to a team like OTT or MTL unless our offers are "light years" better than anything else on the table.

So...it would be cool to land Drouin and all but is he worth giving up the farm for? Not so sure.

Kypreos suggested during the intermission last night that it would cost Galchenyuk to get Tampa to deal him to us. Is that something worth doing? I don't think so personally (and neither did Kypreos).
I heard the same thing on the NHL network yesterday, we'd have to really overpay. I don't see it happening. Sucks but he's in our division. When he does get traded people will flip out on MB for it but I can't say I blame him for not wanting to overpay on a guy who the jury is still out on.

But, if the best Anaheim offer is Sorenson, Manson and a 3rd and Montreal offers Scherbak, Beaulieu and a 2nd... What does Yzerman do? Accept the worse offer because he's so scared of Drouin becoming a great player in Montreal? We also have to remember that Yzerman and Cooper don't like Drouin enough to make peace with him and play him.
We can't deal away Beau. Markov's pretty much done and that would leave us with Petry and PK.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
That is a ridiculous overpayment for a guy who is not even in the NHL!!
Ghetto plus our 2 seconds this draft.
How do you know Scherbak alone won't prove to be a better player than Drouin, just because he was drafted higher?
Sweet Jesus talk about ponying up for potential, Cooper is a good coach and if Drouin is not in Tampa's lineup its for a reason folks.

Andrighetto is a good player.
Scherbak has done what of late?
Tinordi isn't even able to break our roster, so he's of no use to us plus his value is dropping regularly.
The 1st is very late, so it's almost a 2nd.

So a good young roster player+a prospect who is iffy+a young D with lowering value but might be a 3/4+ a late 1st
is to much???

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

I agree with McKenzie, that it would have to be a very good offer for TB to trade with Montreal, but we've seen with the St. Louis trade that TB doesn't mind dealing within the East.

Kypreos is one of the biggest idiots in Hockey coverage.
I wouldn't listen to a word he has to say, because i honestly don't think any team would talk to him about anything, and therefore he is just talking to hear his own voice and make himself look involved.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Colorado has put Gormley on waivers. RH D. I always liked him, although I don't know if he has the speed to play in the NHL. I haven't seen him play in awhile.

I wonder if he clears?

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
We can't deal away Beau. Markov's pretty much done and that would leave us with Petry and PK.

I was just using Beaulieu as part of an example of a better offer than what Anaheim would offer. I wouldn't want Beaulieu to be included either but Tinordi won't cut it as part of a good offer.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Colorado has put Gormley on waivers. RH D. I always liked him, although I don't know if he has the speed to play in the NHL. I haven't seen him play in awhile.

I wonder if he clears?

Gormley is a lefty, I don't think he clears. If Bodnarchuk gets claimed Gormey should.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I wouldn't listen to a word he has to say, because i honestly don't think any team would talk to him about anything, and therefore he is just talking to hear his own voice and make himself look involved.

Like him or not, he's way more connected than anyone here. I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said on the face of it. You don't agree that Tampa would start the bidding with a player like Galchenyuk if they were trading Drouin to us?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

You are free, of course, to believe what you want, and you can certainly criticize Kypreos for not being as well spoken on television as many other analysts, but I assure you, he is extremely well connected in the hockey world.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Well he is now!!
Your one-liners are not smart or witty in any sense, and show mental inability to reason.

He can wait as long as he likes. Stamkos possibly leaving, having a fairly bare cupboard, the ELC counting peanuts against the cap.

Drouin will not get his wish until Steve Yzerman gets a perceived maximum return.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Those are all legitimate concerns...my thought was that we'd have cap to sign Stamkos and this seems like the kind of market that would be appealing to him based on the comments from some that know him. Secondly, this is the time to get a guy under contract long term. The dollar is low and that has kept the cap low. In a couple years once the dollar goes to 80 cents, the cap hit will seem like more of a bargain. It's a risk in terms of signing him though.

As far as captaincy goes...I don't see him as a defining leader for this team. I could name three people ahead of him who would fit that role better. I don't want to get side tracked but I don't think it's as big of an issue as it would be with other teams.

In terms of patches cap hit, how many more seasons does he have on that contract? One of the things people always point to is the apocalypse of his and price's contract ending at the same time. This move would mitigate that a point IMO

Pacioretty has 3 more years after this one, Price 2yrs
Again, Stamkos is UFA, he is not obligated to re-sign...on this simple fact you never make a Stamkos for Pacioretty deal.....EVER!!!!!!

You want to clear cap space...find a way to deal Plekanec and DD and you'll find the money to sign Stamkos....but I wouldn't bet the farm on that one :)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

if habs offered Beaulieu/Scherbak/2nd, MB should be fired on the spot.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
I wouldnt mind "overpaying" for a guy like Drouin to come to MTL. The thing is, overpaying for an unproven young talent cannot be something like Galchenyuk + Tinordi + pick. Overpaying for a guy like Drouin, to my mind, is offering a young equally unproven roster player (a guy like Tinordi or Pateryn) or a mid-tier roster guy (like Weise) + a prospect + a 2nd round pick.

So at the end of the day, a high price for Drouin for me would be something along the lines of : Tinordi, Ghetto + 2nd round pick.

Another option could be dangling them Markov and see if they bite. The old man's still a great puck mover despite slowing down and his stats are there too, so he could definitely be a huge asset in a trade for a young winger. Pair him up with guys like Carr or Ghetto and youve got a deal, i should think.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Your one-liners are not smart or witty in any sense, and show mental inability to reason.

He can wait as long as he likes. Stamkos possibly leaving, having a fairly bare cupboard, the ELC counting peanuts against the cap.

Drouin will not get his wish until Steve Yzerman gets a perceived maximum return.

Mental inability??.....well I captain a Boeing 767 for a living, so my ability to reason, process and manage has been tested again, again and again.....you should be more careful when you question someone's mental capacity, you have no idea what I've seen and done in my life, it would literally make your head spin....anyways, back to Habs talk....

Lightning are on the bubble for playoffs, you have an asset that wants to be traded and its been made public, if he doesn't trade Drouin, he'd better make sure he makes the playoffs cause he'll have a lot to answer too!

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I don't see why the Habs, or any team for that matter, should/would trade a
1st round pick in a package for Drouin.

Why? It is pretty rare to see a very young and very skilled player available. Last I remember was Seguin.

I'm not saying Drouin will reach that level, but he's the only one available that MIGHT do it. And since Habs are not even close to have such talent in the pipeline, I would be ok to overpay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad