Dropping the gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proby24

Jul 15, 2003
Have played hockey all my life and play a pretty chippy game. Naturally that style of game forces me to drop the gloves once in a while, though I avoid it if possible (1-2 fights a year) as I normally come off second best.

You guys have any good stories from having hockey fights or even a few tips?

I sport a nasty scar on my chin from getting involved with someone who was out of my league, hit me with an uppercut that practically knocked me out on my feet (didnt go down though!) and he cracked my helmet with the shot that followed.

Jysk

Jul 3, 2004
Skellefteå Sweden
Here in Sweden there is not much fighting, even if i tried to change that. My last season (1997/98) i only played 13 games due to a knee injurye ( had to retire after that) but i had 7 fights 4 tkos, 2 wrestlingmatches and 1 draw. I led my team in +/- and pims for 5 strait seasons

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I have a few little stories, but I'm sure the same as everyone elses and aren't worth typing out. If you aren't a "good fighter", but know its inevitable, tie up his arms, pull in close to his body and go from there. If you don't want to get into trouble at all, wrestle in this postion and try to get him on the ground, if you want you can pop up for a nice undercut, but need to get back into a "safe" position quickly.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
If you can throw lefty, that would be a big help. Another tip is to grab the guys jersey on the inside, so your grabbing arm is inside of his throwing arm. You can block a lot of his punches just by lifting your arm.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
First of all know if the guy is a righty or lefty. Finding this out on the fly could be hazardous to your health. Like was said before if you're out of your league stay as close as possible and keep your feet wide so he doesn't rag doll you. If you are both righties or lefties (the same) then grab his shoulder up high by the collar with your weak hand so he has to throw over your arm. Jerk with your hand that is grabbing him to get him off balance and then let the other hand go. If at all possible get his helmet off first but not at the expense of him grabbing you first. Aim low on the head (jaw or chin) so you have as much room as possible to miss and not his helmet. Probably the biggest thing I would suggest is if you're gonna go, just go, don't wait to see what's going to happen, you won't like the answer.
Oh, and ice in the penalty box is always a good thing......and health insurance!!!

Proby24

Jul 15, 2003
I agree about 'going' when the gloves drop. Early on I would hesitate for that split second, soon learnt the errors of my ways.

Confident throwing with both hands, though I favour my right. I like the 'Paul Laus' combo, 2-3 straight rights and then the big uppercut. For fighting technique (well I just like watching good tilts!), Probert of course, Langdon and Stock all impress me with their technique.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
The best is still to skate away and sit on your bench. It's not worthwhile. If I want to fight, I'll sign up to a boxing club.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Proby24 said:
Have played hockey all my life and play a pretty chippy game. Naturally that style of game forces me to drop the gloves once in a while, though I avoid it if possible (1-2 fights a year) as I normally come off second best.

You guys have any good stories from having hockey fights or even a few tips?

I sport a nasty scar on my chin from getting involved with someone who was out of my league, hit me with an uppercut that practically knocked me out on my feet (didnt go down though!) and he cracked my helmet with the shot that followed.

Advice #1 Don't play chippy. If this is just a beer league, take it easy. Enjoy the game, it's for fun. Remember that not everyone wants to go out and get whacked and slashed. We have jobs in the morning.
Advice #2 If you do have to fight, tuck your chin into your shoulder and throw straight down the pipe. Don't throw looping hooks and pull crap punches. Straight and hard down the middle into the guys chin is the best thing you can do.
Advice #3 If you're getting killed, grab anything you can and wrestle him to the ice.

Bascially, I'm not down with the whole fighting thing. I'm in my 30's and I play in beer leagues for fun. I enjoy the skate and I like to compete but I'm not a d1ck. I play clean and I play with a smile on my face (with all my teeth).

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
In my division, a fight went on, and four guys were sent to the hospital... That's scary. That's just too bad. They should create their own league where fighting is welcome. I want to play in a safe environment. It's not that I don't like tough and rude talking as I find it exciting because you really feel in the game when there is a certain level of aggressivity in the air. But I don't like that when it comes to punching to hurt someone else.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
from one who never won one...make sure you throw the first punch [or two] then hang on for dear life, and pray that the ref's break it up befor he gets lose! :) and if your going to lose; it's better to lose to the biggest guy than lose to a little one.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
We play non-contact ball hockey. Tonight one of our guys was crossed checked in the back. That crap does look like a goon. If he had done that to someone of some other teams, he would have paid for that.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Okay, okay. So basically you want to do what the other guy won't expect you to do. So what you do is you rip off his helmet, slap him across the face, and gouge his eyes with your fingers. He can't fight you if he can't see you, remember. Just prepare to be laughed at for a long time afterwards and possibly face charges for well, you know, blinding someone.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
The greatest one that never happened. I just hit some guy, who had a really short fuse, he gets up throws off his gloves (literally one reached the other end of the rink after a while), skates over and when he gets there...decides he'd rather not and skates off. It was a rather unique and interesting experience...really weird...

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
The Old Master said:
and if your going to lose; it's better to lose to the biggest guy than lose to a little one.

haha happened to me last night, im only 16 and it was a real chippy game and i play a realy physical game despite only being 5'7. and things looked like they were getting ugly especially since we were lossing by quite a margin, so our coach tells us to look to next game and im cool with that, but the team had one goon who just kept running and cross checking and slashing, and he was against me on teh point and gave me probly 5 good slashes or cross checks in a row with me skating away and he took the puck in the corner and i gave him a decent check and off went his gloves, and with his height advantage i knew i didnt have much chance but i went anyways and he got my helmet off pretty quick gave me a couple solid ones but i threw some back to the jaw and managed to throw him to the ice and not get my face absolutly broken by this guy but it was at a point that i wasnt putting up with the crap anymore there beating us by 12 goals and ur gooning it up im not putting up with it, biggest thing is when ur a little guy you have to surprise the guy, unfortunatly he grabbed me before i had a chance so tie up the throwing hand try to get a few licks in but haul him to the ice. As a side note im only 5'7 and this guy was maybe 6'3 and had over 50-75 lbs. on me and i feel i had a pretty decent showing ;)

KariyaIsGod*

Hockeylover said:
The worst is when it keeps going after the game in the parking lot...

True.. but how often does that happen?

I challeneged a guy to a parking lot fight once but it never materialized. Is uspect that'd be the case the majority of the time...

Yertle The Turtle

Apr 14, 2004
Millville, NJ
www.bluelinehockey.net
Best advise I can give for fighting is grab the inside of the guys jersey sleeves. That way you can control where he throws his punches. I have never been in a fight during a game since I am in Midget hockey but I have messed around a few times at open hockey with some friends and I find this is the best way to win a fight.

CheeseSandwich*

If you're an adult and are fighting at rec hockey then I think you might be mental.

You're willing to get your face mashed up for work/life because of a game you pay to play. Ouch.

To each his own though.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
tbone77 said:
If you're an adult and are fighting at rec hockey then I think you might be mental.

You're willing to get your face mashed up for work/life because of a game you pay to play. Ouch.
but the ladys dig it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->