Post-Game Talk (GBU): Dropping another one

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Here's a G:

In the third period, however, Mittelstadt teamed up with Reinhart and Skinner to the tune of a CF% of 60 percent with Reinhart and 66.7 percent with Skinner in roughly four minutes of ice time together. It’s the smallest of small sample sizes, yes, and Rasmus Ristolainen scored the Sabres’ only goal with under three minutes to play. But with the Buffalo offense struggling of late and Eichel out of the lineup (he’s still day-to-day), it was worth a shot to see how it looked.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
This was the exact same game we played in Boston last time, the only difference was Eichel not playing and carrying his line to 4 goals.

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
Need to have some perspective. We were last last year, Boston were in the top. We miss our main star and even if we have grown alot this year, some games will look like this. It is not loosing to Boston away that will give a playoff spot away.
G: Ullmark proves that hes solid.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I love Dahlin, but I wish he had more than one speed.
The kid still has some to learn if he wants to max compete at the highest level in the world.

He probably needs a few years, just like most everyone else.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Mittelstadt had good wingers and looked great. Absolutely no surprise. I’m amazed how people think he needs to be benched when he just showed how he is a talent amplifier and not a one man show, and he not only needs talent, but he makes it better. His awful linemates in college should’ve already made this clear, but I guess it didn’t for many.

I didn’t see a strong forecheck this game until the third. We miss Girgensons a lot, and replacing him on the fourth line with players like Smith just doesn’t do the same. Only that awful Sobotka line got scored on though, and it’s hard to blame the whole team because of that. Don’t get me wrong, I think Smith is a good player, but he’s not a 4th line checker. Housley starts every new player on the fourth line though and I hope this phase is over for him already. Give me Smith-center-Thompson and give us some real checking lines again to keep opposing defenses tired and honest.

What worked during the 10 game streak was that amazing grinding 4th line followed by Eichels line, catching defenders tired leading to success. As soon as the 4th line was disintegrated, and the balance of the middle 6 that’s Reinhart provided down there keeping them at least not hemmed in our zone anymore, everything fell apart. It’s frustrating when Housley finds a perfect recipe with this awful forward depth and doesn’t take steps to go back to it.

Deleted member 27798

G: Ullmark only gave up two goals

B: The Sabres only scored one goal

U: Chara

Very U: Marchand

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Meh, I'd say more like an 80-85 pt team. You cant just take that 10 game winning streak out of the equation. They obviously got a lot of puck luck and unsustainable goaltending, but they still deserved to win a bunch of those games. A couple of call ups+ a savvy trade+ shuffling up the lines could be enough to squeak us into the playoffs this year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Theres so much ranting I want to do ,but it's saved for a certain thread. ****ing Botts! Big headed buffoon!
Its worth keeping in mind that we are currently at the upper end of expectations for this season. We did ride along for a bit above what anyone expected from this team but we've now fallen back down to the upper end of expectations. Which by any reasonable measure is a good thing. Now we have a 2nd half with the trade deadline coming up. Lets see how things play out.

Reactions: Sabreality

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Its worth keeping in mind that we are currently at the upper end of expectations for this season. We did ride along for a bit above what anyone expected from this team but we've now fallen back down to the upper end of expectations. Which by any reasonable measure is a good thing. Now we have a 2nd half with the trade deadline coming up. Lets see how things play out.

You bet Oddball! :thumbu: :laugh:

We used to have a sports talk show out this way where one of the moderators was known as "The Voice of Reason"...... (The other was the "Hit Man").

Probably the same good cop-bad cop approach used in WNY media environs...

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Being a bottom 5 team since the streak ended sure doesn't feel like fallen back down to the upper end of expectations to me. :dunno:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Being a bottom 5 team since the streak ended sure doesn't feel like fallen back down to the upper end of expectations to me. :dunno:

We've also been ravished with injuries and a vet that quit the team on us. Our losing began when combos of mccabe, scandella, nelson, and bealieau were injured....they aren't world beaters but we won when we had them playing. Since we haven't really been able to have a healthy d core and even when we do we lose the likes of girgs, berglund, eichel etc.

Granted you can certainly say we should've had the proper depth to deal with the injuries that all teams go through but it's surely a factor.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We've also been ravished with injuries and a vet that quit the team on us. Our losing began when combos of mccabe, scandella, nelson, and bealieau were injured....they aren't world beaters but we won when we had them playing. Since we haven't really been able to have a healthy d core and even when we do we lose the likes of girgs, berglund, eichel etc.

Granted you can certainly say we should've had the proper depth to deal with the injuries that all teams go through but it's surely a factor.

The almost complete lack of scoring for almost all of the forward lineup also hasn't helped. They don't generate chances because they don't go to the net regularly with or without the puck. The goals from the D are considerably higher than last year. Larsson-Girgensons have provided a little push from their d-zone heavy use, but if they're getting anything out of anyone in the middle, they're a much more competitive team.

Reactions: DJN21

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
In a game where all they could muster was a few individual efforts, Sheary/Ullmark/Skinner at least had some decent moments.
The next puck battle I see Conor Sheary win will actually be the first.

Dude cedes victory in a corner puck battle the way a hyena runs away from fresh kill when he sees the lion.

Need to have some perspective. We were last last year, Boston were in the top. We miss our main star and even if we have grown alot this year, some games will look like this. It is not loosing to Boston away that will give a playoff spot away.
G: Ullmark proves that hes solid.
Welcome infrequent poster!!!

Re: the bolded, it's not too much to ask for depth scoring in the lineup, regardless of whether Eichel (and Skinner, and Reinhart) are carrying the team or are out hurt. The games should not look that bad in terms of effort (and ability) without one of those 3 in the lineup.

Leclerc

Dec 31, 2018
G
Ullmark
Risto's goal

B
Our team

U
Our team's ability to play as a team
Going to the net to score
Our coach
Botts thinking Mitts could fill the shoes of he-who-cant-be-named

And I love the fans who call for Mitts to have more minutes. The guy is 11 points on the season; he obviously isn't ready for heavy play time, and overworking him to 'develop' more, is a joke of an idea. edit: I want Mittlestadt to succeed, I really do, but when a kid that's 18 years old is outclassing 20-30 something year olds, it gives me less sympathy for him. I know development is different for each player; but if he's so far back in development he's not getting over 10 minutes of play time, maybe he should be in roch.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

You can feel any way you like about how we got here. But we are still in a battle for a wild car playoff spot. Which was at the upper end of expectations.

We'll see how things play out the rest of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad