Post-Game Talk: Driedger leaves early with injury and Montembeault closes out a 4-3 nail-biter against the Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Trocheck has been way better. Still needs to score more but he looks way better overall.

Matheson has been way better the last 10 or so games. Hopefully he just stays healthy and his brain doesn’t disappear anymore because when he plays well that means a lot to this group. One of the guys we’re leaning on the most in the top4 becomes a detriment, it hurts big time. Needs to keep it up.

our offense would be complete going into the playoffs if we could pickup someone capable of comfortably playing 2nd line center. I still say Eric staal. He’s 35 I believe so this isn’t a long term move, but he’s leading the team in goals and points, second in pp goals if I got all that correct (too lazy to go double check right now). Still producing really well these past several years, still signed through next season at a dirt cheap rate and doesn’t create issues by having a longer term deal. Has won a Stanley cup, big bodied skilled center. Give me:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Hoffman-Staal-Connolly
Vatrano-Trocheck-Acciari

going into the playoffs I’ll be very happy with that setup. Any young bonafide top-6 Center would cost an arm and a leg. With staal being older it’ll make it much more manageable for us to acquire him and still get an extra year out of it. Minny has no reason really to hang onto him at this point.

maybe pickup a 4th liner to bolster things too, even though we have sceviour, Toni, and Boyle (not overly crazy about any of them but an extra addition wouldn’t hurt)

then go for a stable defender too

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah, like who needs goals, points 'n stuff. Just shut down the generator in your tipi and go to bed.
Not surprisingly your not comprehending. Trocheck play lately is absolutely on par with what it was before. The points won’t be there because he is on pp 2 now instead of racking up points on pp1. Very very simple concept.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
yeah, we'd be ahead today. But it's pointless since the season is not over yet.

On the very short term, those games have impact on us. But not in the long term. Because like I said before, things even out and if a team lose, the other win.

The better proof of my point is that the 95-97 pts range to make the playoffs doesn't change from December to April. Teams move up and move down, teams go on losing and winning streaks. But at the end of the season, you need those 95-97 pts to make it.

Scoreboard watching becomes interesting with something like 10 left though. When the standing is pretty much set and you now only have 4 teams fighting for 2 playoffs spot.
Exactly this. I’m not saying don’t scoreboard watch but I find it funny how people will stress or put emphasis on it now while it’s really irrelevant. Especially since it upsets so many and seems to cause more stress on the fans

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah, and if one of those teams had lost a game in January to a western conference team or a basement dweller, instead of won that game, it would have a big impact. Every point counts. So again I don't understand. You're saying these points in January don't matter as far as the end result, but they do matter.
Yes they matter for us. Cause we need to get to 98 points. What other teams do is pretty irrelevant at this point.

Reactions: sinDer

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yes they matter for us. Cause we need to get to 98 points. What other teams do is pretty irrelevant at this point.

No it's not. So you're saying there's no difference if Montreal had lost last night instead of won? That's completely false. What Montreal does is irrelevant to us, yes. Whatever Philly does is very relevant. Them losing a chance of two points helps Florida. If they had won, it would hurt Florida. Philly lost out on a chance of two points. There's no way you can spin it to say that's irrelevant to us, this point in the season.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
These mishandles of the puck would be other examples of where I would blame no one but the goalie:

This sequence was absolutely brilliant by Roy, up until he dropped it, that's all on him: Unlucky Bounce: Patrick Roy shows the world his glove minus puck

Lol I get the point you are trying to make, but to vehemently say goalies are only to blame when the goal is some ridiculous, rare play is pretty asinine. Lots of goalies make mistakes and no one is to blame but them, it doesn't always have to be a farce.

Reactions: Crossbar

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Unable to watch the Game had to stand up early next Morning and to go out with a win, while Monty was in Net is not bad.
Looseing Bob and Driedger in the same Week is bad for us, special for Driedger who was really good so far this Season.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Yeah, and if one of those teams had lost a game in January to a western conference team or a basement dweller, instead of won that game, it would have a big impact. Every point counts. So again I don't understand. You're saying these points in January don't matter as far as the end result, but they do matter.

Of course they matter, but for them.

Just like our own points matter for us.

We need to get those 98 pts, so yeah, every single point matters.

And night where Philly, Carolina and Toronto lose feels good. But these teams losing won't help us if we don't win our own games. And these teams winning won't hurt us if we get those 98 pts. What part in what I'm saying don't you understand? Seems pretty clear to me. Or maybe it's my lousy English?:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: BabyBarkov

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
No it's not. So you're saying there's no difference if Montreal had lost last night instead of won? That's completely false. What Montreal does is irrelevant to us, yes. Whatever Philly does is very relevant. Them losing a chance of two points helps Florida. If they had won, it would hurt Florida. Philly lost out on a chance of two points. There's no way you can spin it to say that's irrelevant to us, this point in the season.

Ok...

Answer this question:

If both us and philly go on a 20 games winning streak, what would happen? Tell me

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Exactly this. I’m not saying don’t scoreboard watch but I find it funny how people will stress or put emphasis on it now while it’s really irrelevant. Especially since it upsets so many and seems to cause more stress on the fans

Thank you...

I was starting to believe I was crazy.

I mean...you bring facts and simple maths and some people still don't get it...what's wrong with them?

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I think it's important to scoreboard watch at this time while also keeping a cool head. Still almost half a season left so it's good to get an idea where you stand but the playoffs are not made today. It's hockey, sh!t changes on the daily.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I fear that Big D's injury may be serious. The way he got injured, kicking out his right leg and then having play halted for him, seems serious. Either a right groin, right hip, or right hamstring injury is my guess. All three are not good injuries for goalies.

I wouldn't be opposed to letting Monty start tomorrow night in Detroit if Bob isn't 100% yet. I feel like the Panthers will need Monty through this next while.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Trocheck has been way better. Still needs to score more but he looks way better overall.

Matheson has been way better the last 10 or so games. Hopefully he just stays healthy and his brain doesn’t disappear anymore because when he plays well that means a lot to this group. One of the guys we’re leaning on the most in the top4 becomes a detriment, it hurts big time. Needs to keep it up.

our offense would be complete going into the playoffs if we could pickup someone capable of comfortably playing 2nd line center. I still say Eric staal. He’s 35 I believe so this isn’t a long term move, but he’s leading the team in goals and points, second in pp goals if I got all that correct (too lazy to go double check right now). Still producing really well these past several years, still signed through next season at a dirt cheap rate and doesn’t create issues by having a longer term deal. Has won a Stanley cup, big bodied skilled center. Give me:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Hoffman-Staal-Connolly
Vatrano-Trocheck-Acciari

going into the playoffs I’ll be very happy with that setup. Any young bonafide top-6 Center would cost an arm and a leg. With staal being older it’ll make it much more manageable for us to acquire him and still get an extra year out of it. Minny has no reason really to hang onto him at this point.

maybe pickup a 4th liner to bolster things too, even though we have sceviour, Toni, and Boyle (not overly crazy about any of them but an extra addition wouldn’t hurt)

then go for a stable defender too

How do make room for 3.25M$ Staal?

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Lol I get the point you are trying to make, but to vehemently say goalies are only to blame when the goal is some ridiculous, rare play is pretty asinine. Lots of goalies make mistakes and no one is to blame but them, it doesn't always have to be a farce.
Yeah, they were all just quick searches and most popular in the results. This would be an example similar to Driegs giving up the screened Hall goal vs Yotes that I would say hey that's not all on the goalie there (listen to Ferraro's commentary, very common play):

And then this one the commentary:

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
This is exactly the point I’m making. Dreidger fits better with us right now. He can track the puck better thru traffic and his positioning is better. That’s why I’m more comfortable with him than bob. But bob shouldn’t be struggling to track the puck as much as he has. Tho he has shown slight improvement recently . Our goaltending is starting to revert back to average which is good. Tho what’s the alternative to bob? Should we be allowing cross crease one timers from the slot cause bobs better at those? You can’t shut down everything and most goals we allow are from perimeter.

Positive thing about your post is that you say you feel more comfortable with Driedger - that I can actually understand - instead of the constant screaming of "Bob sucks".

I get you using the extreme proposition to let more cross crease plays happen though you exactly know that the issues is about pressuring the perimeter more to make it harder for the shooters from the blue line (and therefore leaving more space in the high slot) instead of completely colapsing in front of the net (does this in today's NHL actually still make sense when it got so hard to block or push out opposing players without taking a penalty...?)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Thank you...

I was starting to believe I was crazy.

I mean...you bring facts and simple maths and some people still don't get it...what's wrong with them?
Well, I’ll add my $0.02... maybe you shouldn’t think the other opinions are so wrong.

For one, there are 1,271 games played in the NHL (wiki claims this). That means there’s anywhere from 2,542 to 3,813 points available, depending on 2-point games versus 3-point games. It does matter if the statistics would start to shift in favor of more 3-point games because then the 96-97 point threshold would move up. That’s just for the average, but if your team is not getting the benefit of 3-point games by ALWGAP when playing not so great, your team’s suffering.

Second, after the first couple of months, the 3 tiers start to become clear. 1) the top 2-3 teams in each division, 2) the wild card pursuers, 3) the teams out of contention. If you’re in tier 2, it absolutely does matter how teams in tier 2 are doing. Now your focus group isn’t the whole league, and thus isn’t the whole league statistics and the 96-97 point barrier, but the local statistics of your tier. When we had our 96 pt season 2017-18 but missed, it was because NJD and CBJ got 97 pts each with some extra points and so on. The local stats mattered.

But I will concede that it appears that the 97 point level, and certainly 98 point level, appears to hold for now as a minimum safe level. However, and I’ve never looked for actual stats on this, it looks like there’s a very slow growth in that number. Maybe the total points awarded is very slowly going up?

Reactions: Dread Clawz

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Agreed.

What I would consider a bad goal completely on just the goalie alone is a unobstructed view, non-deflected and from the outside with the goalie having time to be set (not a one-timer like where Ovi/Stammer/Hoff tee up from) or a goal scored from a very bad angle like the goal Connolly scored on Hart:

This one I wouldn't consider all on the goalie alone, because he was in a vulnerable position/wasn't set and today's NHLer practices these trick shots all the time, just a matter of accuracy/luck

Anyway that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I don't get why several goalies don't try harder to to not put themselves in such an awkward spot when the attacking player is going behind the net. You make yourself a target for a ricochet whereas other goalies just stay on the line or kind of "hide" behind the post. Must likely be the distance they have to make up when challenging the shooter (no matter his position) and than being forced to move back to the net. So in the end, not always a 100% mistake by the goalie, but could be considered one quite often depending on how the situation unrolled just prior.

Anderson does not take the whole responsibility for this. Opposition effectively made him move and we know the puck is always faster than a moving goalie. Just a smart play to take advantage of a drawn-out keeper

Reactions: Crossbar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad