Drew Remenda joins HNIC

SpokaneShark

Jul 11, 2006
At Work
I'm looking forward to seeing him, especially if it means Millen is moving on. Judging from how disappointed Sharks fans are to see him go, Remenda must be pretty good.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

You have no idea. The Sharks message boards were in mourning for weeks after he announced he was heading back to Saskatoon. I felt pretty bad to see him go, but him being on HNIC this year is a huge plus for Canada and the league as a whole.

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
Most of Drew's critics always leave a mention of his apparent lack of hair. I guess it's something rather personal.

He's an awesome color commentator. During replay stoppages he'd pick out a very obscure or inconspicuous play and then talk about it, showcasing players' motives on a very individual level. Not many commentators are able to center on the little things like he can. He's been a coach himself, I think with the U of Alberta team initially, and then Sharks and their Kentucky affiliate - so he obviously knows his hockey, and plus he's got that contagious excitement going that makes him so interesting to listen to. Compared to guys on ESPN and OLN, he was much less neutral over the years, and he might not have that great of a commentator-tone - but he compensates for it with sheer substance of his commentary. Many national-level commentators are all about style, but are rather dry. You'll have a lot of fun up there on Saturday nights with this guy.

He does like to digress, but all in good fun. And, yes, he's a homer, but oftentimes he'd be extremely critical and won't hide it. In fact, I'd take his passionate patriotism over careless impartiality any day of the week..

bluef0x*

He wasn't a total homer like everyone says... and now that he's working with HNIC I doubt he will display a "favorite" team. He never turned a blatant penalty into a "Is the ref on crack?" or anything like that. Part of being a color analyst is identifying with the home-team crowd. So you have to be somewhat of a homer.

He's a great guy and will definately be missed :) He always chatted with the fans during intermissions and before the game. You could always see him signing some kids hat or something like that. Although, I think he tried to hit on my gf..

Heavy Fuel

...SNIP...

Some of the few you will hear calling Drew a homer are Edmonton fans, people who continue to deny some of the fact of life.

Talk about being in denial, some people are still in denial about their team getting whipped last spring. To prove my point, check out the "homer" comments and you will find more Shark's fans saying it than any Edmonton fans, if any at all.

...SNIP...

A few hints for some of his tendencies, if he says someone is a great referee, one of his favorites, it means it is someone he has repeatedly criticized and been reprimanded by the league. If someone is "his guy", that is a player he really likes, may go out for drinks with and such, and applies to almost every Shark, past or present, and at least 75% of the rest of the league. The players truly seem to like him, and that has always seemed to apply to visiting players in SJ as well as home guys. He has been well enough respected that when he publicly blasted home players, including guys who tended to pout and avoid the media, they still took it well and continued to openly talk with him. Some of his shows on "Sharks Bytes" are legendary, the local show for which he won Emmys, including segments in which Kyle McLaren pounded him with hip checks, Scott Hannan repeatedly high-sticked him demonstrating how to seal someone to the boards, and Marco Sturm discarded him like a rag-doll showing how to build a wall while power skating.

I caught an interview with Drew on local talk radio in Edmonton this spring and was impressed with the guy. When I posted a thread on the Shark's board I learned a bit about his antics for the Shark's Bytes shows and had a good laugh. Strangely enough, his announced signing by CBC came very shortly thereafter(right after the Sharks were eliminated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->