Drew Doughty incident

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Its like hitting your funny bone, you can barely bump it, but your arm goes numb.

Probably hurt like hell..

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yeah perfectly said. It's like you lose power/support immediately and stings like a funny bone. But you don't Neymar your way thru it.

Yea man I saw Karlsson get sliced live and I was so scared that something similar had happened to Doughty.

You never want to see a serious injury to an elite talent like Drew. So f*** that was traumatic. I hope someone has spoken to him about it. That stuff shouldn't be in the game.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this.

At first I was actually scared that he'd broken his leg or some ****. I was thinking he was going to be out for the season maybe not be able to play the same way ever again. The pain seemed so excruciating... And then he throws a temper tantrum in the middle of having had his leg broken, and then I see the replay. What a dive.

It was one of the most blatant cases of embellishment I have ever seen, It was like Neymar in the world cup final bad. Such a lack of class.I just don't even know what to say.

Honestly I hate the **** that has happened to soccer. It's a great sport that is a little tarnished and i'd hate to see it happen to hockey too. I think this should be finable .

Oh wow I see you didn't get your fill from shit talking on the Kings last night. Embarrassing lol

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is classic Doughty. He initiates the unsportsmanlike and dangerous conduct (here, body slamming Meier against the board wall); then, when the player gives it back to him, acts like the victim, trying to milk sympathy from the refs; then, when he doesn't get it, throws a tantrum. He takes no personal responsibility for what he initiates and expects the refs to call every retaliation. You would think that, if he hates the liberties that other players take with him and get away with, he'd stop taking liberties, himself. You rarely see players take liberties with Kopitar because 1) he doesn't take them, himself, and 2) players respect him. Doughty should work on earning the respect of the other players in the league rather than being consumed with receiving the respect of the refs.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
lol

Plays like that are the exact reason I criticize the culture of soccer and make fun of it. That was embaressing by one of the best players in the league.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Dought should be suspended.

Nothing worse than someone acting super dramatically and outrageous, and then we realize it was all just an act, a grand fakery. At first it looked really bad, he was screaming at the top of his lungs as if someone was slowly cutting his leg off. Then the replay shows an entirely different thing, the guy lightly tapped him with his stick.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
This is classic Doughty. He initiates the unsportsmanlike and dangerous conduct (here, body slamming Meier against the board wall); then, when the player gives it back to him, acts like the victim, trying to milk sympathy from the refs; then, when he doesn't get it, throws a tantrum. He takes no personal responsibility for what he initiates and expects the refs to call every retaliation. You would think that, if he hates the liberties that other players take with him and get away with, he'd stop taking liberties, himself. You rarely see players take liberties with Kopitar because 1) he doesn't take them, himself, and 2) players respect him. Doughty should work on earning the respect of the other players in the league rather than being consumed with receiving the respect of the refs.

Um, players always take liberties with kopitar, the dude is such an ox he just battles through them.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Its like hitting your funny bone, you can barely bump it, but your arm goes numb.

Probably hurt like hell..

It doesn't hurt that much. I've seen players with much much worse injuries show less pain.

And I mean look at him lol. You can tell by his face when he's complaining to the refs how little pain he was in.

I don't doubt that it got Doughty in a sensitive spot and he legitimately went down. But his subsequent reaction was a huge farce.

Evergreen

He dove to draw the penalty and then had to overreact in order to make it seem like he was actually in pain. If he overreacts like that, then people will think "well he looked to be in so much pain, so he must have really been hurt." But in reality he just got caught faking and had to take a shift off in order to try to make it seem real. I love Doughty, but it was pretty ridiculous.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So he made the decision to dive and try and draw a penalty as the puck was headed into his end and he's already behind the play? Then to better sell it he went to the dressing room? He probably embellished the pain because that slash didn't look like much but the initial drop seems fast for a dive.

I know Doughty dives but this seems like some pretty odd circumstances.

Last edited:

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Hockey players of this generation are such sissies. I miss the days when men played this game.
yep guys with f***ed up knees and serious concussion issues. great time to live your senior years

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this.

At first I was actually scared that he'd broken his leg or some ****. I was thinking he was going to be out for the season maybe not be able to play the same way ever again. The pain seemed so excruciating... And then he throws a temper tantrum in the middle of having had his leg broken, and then I see the replay. What a dive.

It was one of the most blatant cases of embellishment I have ever seen, It was like Neymar in the world cup final bad. Such a lack of class.I just don't even know what to say.

Honestly I hate the **** that has happened to soccer. It's a great sport that is a little tarnished and i'd hate to see it happen to hockey too. I think this should be finable .

As I posted earlier I'm not totally sure this was a dive because it's such a bad time for him to do it. Plus going to the dressing room.

If it was a dive though it still doesn't beat the time Thornton had his foot removed by a slash.

Reactions: Kylo Ren

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Um, players always take liberties with kopitar, the dude is such an ox he just battles through them.

There's a difference between getting sticks or elbows up on him because he's so good that you're trying to contain him (i.e. reckless hockey plays) and taking retaliation swings while the player is skating away like Meier did. The latter kind of thing doesn't happen often to Kopitar because he doesn't do things like what Doughty did to Meier just before the slash. That's what I was saying.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
He didnt get hit in the back of the knee, he got hit in the side and that part has protection. There was no pain, slash was very soft. Sad embellishment to put his face on the ice and pound his hands

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
it's hard to judge a slash tbh. i just watched the video and he did get slashed. sometimes it can really hurt and you lose your footing. It's very possible he was embellishing, but sometimes in the moment the pain is just really bad too and you go down

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He didnt get hit in the back of the knee, he got hit in the side and that part has protection. There was no pain, slash was very soft. Sad embellishment to put his face on the ice and pound his hands

I'll play the devil's advocate here, and say that it still probably hurt. That area is padded, but not nearly as heavily as the front of the knee. Plus, it was the heel of the stick that got him, based on the video. I don't think it tickled.

I just think the response from him was way over the top, and I'm definitely not convinced he didn't go to the locker room just to try to save a little face, and maybe give the NHL a reason not to slap him with a fine. Combine that with him actually grabbing the player and throwing him towards the boards, and it comes across as whiny and entitled from a player who was trying to draw a response from the official after starting the entire situation with an illegal play himself.

The officials can look at replays too, and I don't think this sequence from him is going to give them a reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I share Doughty's "outrage"
200w.webp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->