Drew Doughty and Erik Karlsson or Alex Pietrangelo who would you go with?

Drew Doughty and Erik Karlsson or Alex Pietrangelo who would you go with?

• Total voters

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If this is fantasy and Karlsson is healthy, then he's the best. I'd probably take him and Doughty.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
100% healthy Karlsson isn't worth his contract IMO. Regardless, being unhealthy defines him as a player, the increased risk is part of the package, so this poll is fantasyland.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pietrangelo is already better than both of them if you get him on your blue line you only need a solid number 2 and you can spend the money elsewhere.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
lock her up, no matter how much you think Drew or EK will rebound no one right now is committing 22.5M in cap space to two D rather than 8.8M to one.
Yeah, there’s only so much cap space and PP time, plus both those 11m guys would be aging at the same time because the 2008 draft class defense is bonkers.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I really love Doughty as a player so I went with him, even if Karlsson is anchored onto him. But I need a true starting goaltender and three top forwards.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If Karlsson gets healthy over the summer he will become the best defenceman in the league once again. Doughty has had a couple down years by his standards but he is still a great player who could become a top 3 defenceman in the league again if he finds his form. Both are both vastly superior players to Pietrangelo when they are on it and playing at the level they can. Gotta go with them and take the injury risk.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
If Karlsson gets healthy over the summer he will become the best defenceman in the league once again. Doughty has had a couple down years by his standards but he is still a great player who could become a top 3 defenceman in the league again if he finds his form. Both are both vastly superior players to Pietrangelo when they are on it and playing at the level they can. Gotta go with them and take the injury risk.

Karlsson and Doughty are vastly better than Petro? Definitely not. Karlsson can't even play in his own end.

Doughty>Petro>>Karlsson

Reactions: go4hockey

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
This really hinges on whether you believe that Karlsson and Doughty’s decline is due to injuries or not.

I think Karlsson’s definitely is, if healthy he would still be a Norris candidate.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
While I think their recent play is enough to be scared off from these contracts, some of the comments here make it seem like some people would actually take Pie and cap space over prime Doughty and Karlsson because you can better spend that money which is crazy

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
While I think their recent play is enough to be scared off from these contracts, some of the comments here make it seem like some people would actually take Pie and cap space over prime Doughty and Karlsson because you can better spend that money which is crazy

Right?

Imagine either guy getting to comfortably play as a #2 or on a completely different pairing vs. softer comp instead of carrying the full weight of their pretty frequently mediocre teams.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Karlsson and Doughty are vastly better than Petro? Definitely not. Karlsson can't even play in his own end.

Doughty>Petro>>Karlsson

Karlsson is elite defensively and far better in his own zone than Pietrangelo when healthy. Even now when playing injured he is very effective defensively because he always keeps the puck away from his own zone with his elite IQ, puck moving and passing leading to the Sharks keeping the puck.

Karlsson is also one of the best offensive defenseman ever, he used to lead scoring in Ottawa by over 30 points. He was the best defenseman in the NHL during the last decade BY FAR. Karlsson is a top 10 defenseman in history, Doughty probably top 30. Pietrangelo isn't top 150 probably.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Karlsson is elite defensively and far better in his own zone than Pietrangelo when healthy. Even now when playing injured he is very effective defensively because he always keeps the puck away from his own zone with his elite IQ, puck moving and passing leading to the Sharks keeping the puck.

Karlsson is also one of the best offensive defenseman ever, he used to lead scoring in Ottawa by over 30 points. He was the best defenseman in the NHL during the last decade BY FAR. Karlsson is a top 10 defenseman in history, Doughty probably top 30. Pietrangelo isn't top 150 probably.
I'm not sure which of your takes is worse between you and who you replied to. Yes, puck possession is extremely important for defense as it prevents chances against. However lowering quality of shots against is important to, and Karlsson is not elite at that. While EK is likely the better overall player if healthy I don't think it's fair to say he is better on defense

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No way in hell id take on erik kRlsson and that contract. Worst contract in the league. Thats prime buyout marerial.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Karlsson is elite defensively????

Lol.

Lololol.

Bahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hes among the very worst in the league in his own zone. Even when he actually stumbles across his own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad