Rumor: DREGER: Toffoli Getting 2 years at $3.25M per

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Personal preference.

I feel players lose a-lot of production at ages 28/29. Also if the Kings buyout Richards, his 4 million cap hits will hit in two/three seasons.

Would prefer Toffoli not to be an UFA when that happens.

Would rather overpay young Core players going into their prime production years of 22-28, Like Drew Doughty.

Fair enough.

Just for clarity, Toffoli won't be UFA in 2 years. He'll be RFA.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I would have preferred a longer term deal, but still happy he's signed. He's on the verge of a breakout IMO.

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
I was hoping for $3.20M because I didn't want him to make more money than me. But good for him!

Buddy's livin' large!

Glad we got Toffoli signed. I'd like having him locked up for the long term but the bright side here is he'll at least be a RFA in 2 years instead of a UFA so that helps.

I don't see us keeping Jones though. He seems to want to go for a starting job and I can't blame him. Hopefully we get something decent back at least if we let him go.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
Perfect deal. The two-year term keeps him motivated. And if you're saying he's getting a little too much, if I was his agent I would have just brought this to the negotiations and sat back:

NHL rank in Points per 60 minutes at even strength:

2TacLLe.png

Maybe briefly mention the league-leading 5 SH goals, too.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Two years gives Dean a chance to assess the cap situation I suppose.

I would have preferred seeing a longer term, like six years.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
I am a little surprised by the amount. Not that he isn't worth it, but DL seems to usually get good value on bridge deals. So I was expecting $2.5 to $2.75 million per year. Sort of a help us out now TT and we'll make it up to you long term.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

6 years means he is UFA at 29 (only controlled for two years past RFA status). 2 years means he is RFA at 25 (and has 2 years left on RFA status). Way better to have the RFA, then you can lock him into your control for many more years past RFA status at that time.

IDK, unlike a few people here I think controlling your players until 32/33 is better than 28/29.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Right on target. Good contract for both parties. Let's get this team rolling again

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

If you did a deal like you were hoping for it would lead TT to the UFA years at a young age, that would be very bad for us. IN DEAN I TRUST!!!!!!

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If you did a deal like you were hoping for it would lead TT to the UFA years at a young age, that would be very bad for us. IN DEAN I TRUST!!!!!!

Tyler Toffoli would be 29 in six years, and most likely on the downside of Prime Production years.

Just how old do you guys think Toffoli is ?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Tyler Toffoli would be 29 in six years, and most likely on the downside of Prime Production years.

Just how old do you guys think Toffoli is ?

So he ceases to have any value at all at 29?

I don't think I'm going out a limb saying he will still probably be really effective from 30-34 at least. And coming off his "peak production" years he will be asking for even more money. What you rather have a slightly overpaid still productive 30 year old Toffoli or your option of a vastly overpaid still productive 30 year old Toffoli or no Toffoli?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
So he ceases to have any value at all at 29?

I don't think I'm going out a limb saying he will still probably be really effective from 30-34 at least. And coming off his "peak production" years he will be asking for even more money. What you rather have a slightly overpaid still productive 30 year old Toffoli or your option of wastly overpaid still productive 30 year old Toffoli or no Toffoli?

I am a big supporter of gettting rid of 30+ year old players.

The vast majority of NHL players lose about 50 to 60 % of their prime production at ages 31/32 according to numerous studies. There are exceptions (Lidstrom) small ones though.

The Cap and the new league has to move away from handing 28/29 year old's long term high cap dollar deals.

The NFL has the same problem, paying Vets past their prime big money for past accomplishments. The NFL though has no guaranteed contracts.

The Next CBA fight no doubt will be GM's wanting Guaranteed contracts gone, and contract length down to Six years max.

To save them, from themselves.

Your high cap, High dollar deals in this new Cap era, should go to people like Doughty. Core members coming off ELC deals or bridge deals that see them to 24/25 years of age.

It's just my personal preference is all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad